Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Likelihood of Positive Outcome for Pregnancy after 45

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

I'm a 47 year old woman, and possibly pregnant.  I was not trying to become pregnant and am somewhat surprised.  I had planned to look into getting my tubes tied in January with my husband's new insurance.  I am very much aware of increased risks, chance of Down Syndrome, miscarriage, etc.  Most of the information I have read on pregnancy at my age is negative.  I also knew a mother who became pregnant at age 46 or 47, found out the child had Down Syndrome and aborted at 5 or 6 months.  The chances of naturally becoming pregnant are near zero, and there's a substantial chance of having a deformed, chromosomally abnormal fetus (with 2 heads or something weird), 90% of my eggs are now "damaged goods", etc.  I take good care of my health and am at a reasonable weight (140), plus women on my mother's side of the family go into menopause near age 60.  I've read these factors are a plus for my age.  

Where are the success stories?   I can't even find any statistics on the chances of naturally becoming pregnant at my age.  Is it really that rare?   The information out there makes me feel like some freak.   Can someone PLEASE give me  some encouraging news?
I just turned 42 and am still trying for #1. I got pg last yr and mc on 1/3/07. They did testing on the fetus and he was perfectly normal. I mc due to strain and separation of the placenta, nothing age related. I have had all the tests run and dr says there is no reason I cannot deliver a healthy normal baby.

I know a lot depends on each woman. Have they run any tests?
I will be 40 next month and am wondering the same question.  There is not way to know.  People do have healthy children at 47.  People are always telling me stories of how their grandmother had a baby at 48.  Pray and get tested.  I do think that you are rare but it does happen.  If your mother's family goes into menopause late then you probably have a higher and better ovarian reserve than most.  I would relax a little.  My mother and both of her sisters were done with menopause at age 45 so I was not surprised when I was told that I had poor ovarian reserve at age 39 (high fsh).  I imagine that I am close to being as worried as you.  With your family history I would guess that you have a better chance than most of being ok.   Good luck with your little blessing.
My friend's mom got pg at 44-45, naturally. It is rare but not impossible. And her son is now a very healthy active 3-year-old!

Good luck!

A friend of mine got pregnant at 45 (was not trying) and had her baby at 46. Her daughter is 1 now, beautiful and developmentally on track. It was her third child and she did say it was harder this time. She was horrified at first but she now considers it a blessing. Hang in there!
My previous dr.'s mother had her at age 48.  She turned out perfectly normal.  Like you, her mother was completely taken by surprise by the pregnancy.  She wasn't ttc.  I think you can't rely so heavily on the statistics you read regarding age and pregnancy because every woman is so unique in terms of pregnancy, ovarian reserve and genetics.  I would have all the testing done to be sure your prog. levels and so on are good.  Please just realize what an incredible blessing you've been bestowed.
Have you had your baby yet?  i'm 45 and think i'm pregnant. Its a huge surprise to me too.
I'm 45 (46 in 5 months) and have just discovered I'm naturally pregnant! I'm in complete shock. What are the odds of this happening? This is my 3rd pregnancy, the first being at age 36 and the second at 39. I felt old then as a new mum! What tests are available to check all is well with baby?
I am 8 weeks pregnant at 45; I'll be 46 when I deliver. I feel slightly like a freakshow. The doctor and nurses have all been positive; however, I an considered "high risk" because of age so extra ultrasounds have been scheduled in the first trimester--first one went well. I, too, read that it was near statistically impossible for me to get pregnant. I had a beautiful, healthy boy at 42--no problems as all though. I am worried and hope all goes well. Still, my husband and I have opted to tell no one (even our six other children, ages 2-25) until I make it to 2nd trimester. I had CVS testing with my last child and will again with this pregnancy.
I'm 47 yrs old and my husband and I just found out I am pregnant. We have 4 children in their 20's between us and they are all thrilled and supportive.  The bigger surprise is that I am almost 6 mo. along.  I was having my menstual cycle until a couple of months ago, so I was unaware that I was pregnant.  Then, I thought I was experiencing menopause.  When I went to the Dr. a few weeks ago, we found out I was pregnant.  I am scheduled for thorough testing in a few weeks to find out if the baby is healthy....needless to say, I am concerned.  Everytime I read stats on pregnancy at my age, it scares me to death.  Another factor that scares me is that not knowing I was pregnant, I was taking medicine for anxiety, pain, etc....My Dr. is aware of all of that and has taken me off of the harmful ones to the baby.  But, taking it while I didn't know I was pregnant relly scares me.  Has anyone else experienced anything similar to my situation?
I have enjoyed reading your stories and they have filled me with inspiration.
I am 46yrs old and my husband and I have just decided to give having another childa go!
My last child was born when I was 40 after trying for 9years!
I also have another 4 children from a previous marriage you could say we are greedy but we simply adore our little girl.
So I have just started a course of clomid, will keep you all posted,wish me luck,please.x
I am 46 years and I finally decided to have at least a child but my FSH is 60.  I stopped using contraceptive about a year ago.  I am praying to have a child, and right now, I am feeling frustrated.
how about pregnant at age 49?  hope I am not..had my tubes clipped and burnt 20 years ago,,only guaranteed for 10 years tho...not for sure, will be tested REAl soon tho...
i am also 45 and feel that the chances that i am pregnant are high. i am scared to death. our health insurance is through me at my job and it is a  physically demanding job. no way i can keep working. and my husband is substantially older than me. and he told me at one time a few years back that he wouldn't want one. he feels that it would be too hard on him as the provider. of course, i feel he is being selfish. so instead of the warm feeling a woman may have about telling her spouse, i am not looking forward to it, if i am. abortion is not an option for me, so if i am i will have the child. with or without my husband. pray for me please, and i will for you as well. and good luck. post again and so will i to let each other know what the facts are. take care. kathy
Hi---
Sounds like you may need a friend....:)
We are in quite the opposite situation of you. I am 46, he is 50 and we have decided to try to have a baby. We have been together for 4 years, and we both have children (grown) for previous marriages. But we both really want to raise our own child together. We are both healthy...so hopefully it will all work out for us.
Please post back and let me know how things are going with you...:)
Elizabeth
Hello

I am 44 and am TTC.  I will be 45 in July.  This is my second month of TTC naturally.  My OH is 36 and if we get pregnant this will be a first child for both of us.  Any tips will be welcome.  

Good luck to all.

Fern
I am so happy I found this thread!  I am 44 will be 45 in june. I started a group TTC over 45. I know I'm not 45 yet, but I think at 44 our fertility is a little different from 40. I think maybe its a bit harder. I'm excited to hear about some of you pregnant over 40 something! It gives me hope. I just have to check, I know this thread has been around a few years, I wanted to check up on some of you!
SSBD to All of Us
Melanie
I'm 44 and will be 45 in June.  I just discovered I'm pregnant and I am freaked out.  Not only because this was completely unplanned (natural), but also because this will be my first baby and all the stats don;t seem great for my age.  This thread has given me hope too.  I will continue to pray on this.  For me it seems like it must be a blessing from God that I got pregnant at this age. I made peace with myself last year about not having children (and never trying to have) and now I'm pregnant!  I'm still stunned and don't know whether to cry or be happy and thank God. Maybe both is appropiate.
Thank you all for this thread. Im 46, (will be 47 in 5 months) my husband is 47, I have four healthy children ages 24 - 4yrs old.  Im a month late, and Im concerned.  Im never late.  My mom is 63 and didnt even start menopause until she was 61.  Maybe its just stress, but if Im looking for it on the web, then well, you know.  Any way, thanks for this, at least I know Im not alone.  Heavy sigh...
I had my first child, a son, at 25 and he has Downs (now 22). He's the love of my life. I also have twins (21) and a son now 15. I'm 47 and my BF is 38....also a twin. (never married, no kids)
I stopped the pill. I was tired of it and the doctor put me on a new one after decades on the old one. (sadly I suppose) I wouldn't mind having another child.
My chances of having another child with down's are greater just because I have one already- and b/c I'm 47. The chances of twins are higher as you get older- I have twins- and the BF is a twin.
Ugh!
I am 45 & got pregnant with my first child unexpectedly 6 weeks ago.  Because of my health (high cholesterol, high blood pressure) and the fact that I've been on lipitor (a class X drug) for the past 8 years, I was advised (by a self-proclaimed pro life doctor) to terminate the pregnancy bc the risks to both myself & the fetus were too great.  This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but I am having a medical abortion this weekend. PLEASE before you think about how great it would be to have a baby over the age of 40, talk to your doctor about if it's even a possibility for you to have a healthy pregnancy.  Avoid the heartbreak.  Also, there are websites that support preg over age 40.  Just google & you can find it.  I wish you all luck!  
Is the risk because of the meds your on or your health? Good luck in your decision!
Melanie
It's combination of the meds (that cause severe birth defects),, my age, my pre-existing conditions (mostly high blood pressure), and that it's my first pregnancy.  
As i sit here writing this i am about to turn 47, have been divorced for 5 years, in a relationship with another man for the past 4- now engaged, and have two wonderful kids from my first marriage.
I also found out i am pregnant. Something an OB/GYN told me was unlikely to happen in my 40s given my past difficulties.

It is a pregnancy i will be terminating for many reasons-ranging from health, high risk previous pregnancy, to finances.
It was an unintended pregnancy after years of believing that i couldn’t get pregnant. My last pregnancy was 12 years ago and ended in a pretty horrific miscarriage.

My first, and only biological child, i had at 26 years of age and my second was adopted when he was two (i was 38).
For years i tried to get pregnant with my second child to no avail.
Then at 35 i got pregnant as i was ready to face adoption.
I miscarried almost 12 weeks into my pregnancy. Actually the fetus died roughly 10 weeks in and my body wouldn’t naturally miscarry.

I was rushed to the ER for uncontrolled bleeding and had to be given general anesthesia so that they could perform a D&C to remove the dead fetus.

Two years after my miscarriage we brought home our beautiful son (2 years old) which we adopted from an orphanage. An adoption which most likely not had happened if i had given birth to my second child due to finances and the fact that we only wanted two kids. So, basically, i am glad things turned out the way they did.

Now that being said i made a choice a long time ago to not have kids beyond a certain age, namely 45.

Morally, emotionally, physically, financially etc i don’t believe having kids beyond 45 is a good idea. I never have.
I have seen mothers who had kids in their late 40′s and 50′s struggle and its difficult to watch.

1st–Some of the kids had differing disabilities. While this could happen at any age the chances are far greater in mothers who have given birth beyond the age of 45.

2nd–In many cases the moms were either “too tired”, too sick, too burned out etc to keep up with the baby, toddler, pre-schooler, young child.

3rd–The age in which MOST men and women begin to experience various age-related illnesses, conditions, disabilities is in late 40s and beyond.
So the likelyhood of developing a condition which will prevent you from successfully parenting a baby or young child is far greater in late 40s and beyond than it is in your 20′s and 30s.

4th–The financial stresses can be enormous. Good luck retiring at 65 if your child is barely 12 years old.
Children need financial support, and alot of it, even entering into their college years.
In todays economy–at least 40% of young adults between 18-27 are still living with their parents due to the inability to find work with decent enough wages to support themselves.

5th–I couldn’t imagine being 65-70 years old and too ill and too broke to be able to help out my young adult child (18-25 year old)-could you?
Most employers won’t hire a 70 year old no matter how *vibrant* they are. Health insurance costs for this age group is just too great.

6th–You will most likely never see your child get married and have children of their own or even be able to be a source of emotional, physical and economic support for them during this period in their lives.
Nowadays most young adults, for economic reasons, won’t marry until they are almost 30 or beyond.

My parents are in their late 60s with a slew of ailments as early as early 60s.
Ironically, they took good care of themselves and were physically active and it wasn’t until late 50s that diagnosis of heart disease, diabetes, anxiety disorder etc came into play.

If my mother had had a child in her late 40s or 50s I would be taking care of that child today (since my sister and brother are not in a position to do it) and my parents would deeply regret not being able to parent that child. Not to mention that child would most likely be saddened by not having had parents, in the typical sense, like other kids.
If that child had been an only–he/she would most likely be in foster care since my parents siblings are either dead or too old and sick to take care of a child.

The mentality that you are “very healthy and active” does not negate the fact that most disabling chronic conditions happen after the age of 45.

My brother had his last child at 40. Now he’s a 49 year old mess. He has had numerous heart scans and diagnosed with a heart condition. After 18 years of a successful career he has been laid off for two years and unable to find work with a wage that will allow him to support his three kids (this despite two masters degrees).
Before this my brother was a “vibrant” and “physically active” individual having served two tours in the military in his 20′s-30′s.
His wife decided that parenting isn’t for her since at the age of 48, and with back issues, she finds it too difficult taking care of 3 little ones so she enrolled in school as an excuse to not have to parent. Since my brother lives pretty far from any of us, and since his wife doesn’t want to move closer to family, he has
no help from family, he’s own his own when it comes to raising his kids.

Keep in mind that neither myself or my siblings ever expected to have any kids of physical or financial issues in our 40′s.
We are all responsible, physically active and healthy professionals people.

My point is that STUFF HAPPENS. Even though you could argue that stuff happens at any age it is far likelier that it will happen in 40′s and beyond.

Before you start considering having more children in your 40′s and 50s my advice is to please please reconsider.

If this is your first child then i pray that you have the financial, mental and emotional resources to effectively parent that child. Otherwise you will most likely be bringing a world of hurt to yourselves and your children.

One more thing–to compare yourself to women who had kids in their 40s back in the “good old days” of the 1940′s and 1950s etc is a big mistake.
Back then these women had the resources of extended families and the divorce and unemployment rate of their husbands was alot lower than it is today.
Back then a woman’s “career” was to raise children.
Back then the cost of living was far lower in so far that only one spouse needed to work outside of the home.
My grandmother had her last child at 46(unexpected pregnancy). She had a complicated childbirth and almost died. She was also bedridden for a while.
But what she also had was a huge family support who pitched in to take care of the other kids. She had grown kids who pitched in to take care of the baby and a husband who was gainfully employed in his own business and financially successful.
So even if his business had tanked they would have had enough money to take care of their kids. Not to mention there were plenty of jobs available for the grown kids and they were gainfully employe
Hi! I'd love to post; and thank goodness you posted! Well, I have good news and not-so-good. I became pregnant (not "accidentally," but, w/in 1.5 mos. of the 1st time I never used birth control in my life) for 1st time @ age 46; (had misc); then again @ age 46, then @ 48, almost 49. Miscarr. all. B/c of my age no 1 took the miscarr. seriously - i.e., like, what could have caused them aside from my age -- and, after a discuss. w/a fertil. specialist yest. it appears that though I had tons of autoimmune tests I may not have had 1 crucial test. Also,I found out that I have a submucosal fibroid -- which prob. needs to be removed b/c can cause miscarr.
Talk about discouraging -- calling fertil. clinics @ my age hoping to use my own egg (preimplantation genetic screening can be used) is just so discouraging - in my city -- not exactly a rural burg and supposedly very progressive -- you get these stupid receptionists who cut you off and say "oh, we don't take anyone over 41 who wants to use their own egg" (and 50 for donor eggs) or whatever.
I'm 51. I was, of course, also getting this attitude when I was 46, 47 and calling.
So, I recommend you consult a really good perinatologist, and I bet you can carry to term. Good for you!  
Hello! I'm the 51-year old who's still trying to get pregnant after 3 misc from ages 46-48.
If you have started a group for 45+, I'd love to be included.
Thank you!
-K
After reading Jax49 comment, I just had to add a bit more -- basically, sure, some people are a physical mess @ 50 and beyond; however, most all of my friends were over 40, 45, 47, etc. when they conceived/adopted/donor egged, etc. - and al the kids are great, the families are intact, etc. One never knows what is going to happen in life. Go for it and be happy!
Why so negative, I believe we all have reasons to want to and not want to
Have children, with that being said it's personal! You could be a young mother and die of cancer at 40 leaving your children, my ex husbands mom
Died at 41, my aunt at 40, you just never know, if you wNt to have a baby at 50, go ahead, who am I to tell you horror stories, life happens and we can't control it no matter how hard we try, I'm 45, 3 kids, 8 weeks pregnant with my Dh's 1st child, unfortunately I'm proably going to have to
Have a DNC next week, just waiting on my US. I'm 45, my brother is 11 months older than me, our mom is 65, at 10 and 20 my mom had a baby, he's 26, when he was 2 she had her 1st heart attack and by 50 had triple bypass, I never once thought "oh how selfish she was to
Have a baby and be sick, he was 12 when she had her bypass, I took him in while she recovered and thought how lucky that he and I had eachother!
Keep the faith, do what you need to do either way!
Love Melanie
My mom
Had a baby when I was 19 and my brother was 20....this is a correction from my last post!
I am 46 and will be 47 in June.  I have a beautiful 18 month old that I did not expect to enter my life.  My pregnancy was unplanned and unexpected.  I had a new business, money was tight and loads of things were going wrong...with that said, I wouldn't trade a second of it.  She is the light of my life.  Her father is in his 40's and never had children.  You can imagine the love this baby girl gets.  So, sorry to burst the naysayers bubble, but a woman over 45 can get pregnant, can deliver a smart healthy baby and can figure out how to take care of their child just like a 20 something can.  And one more side note, I too was the "what I am pregnant?" baby for my mother whom is still living and I adore.
The truth is your one of the lucky ones, most of us have been trying for many years. I'm really happy for you and the truth is at 45 the odds are 1%, you must be the 1%!  They never say we can't get pregnant just that our odds suck! I am 45 and pregnant now with the help of donor eggs and I feel lucky and blessed!
Thanks for your words of encouragement!
Melanie
I'm 51 and and I'm 4  months pregnant.  I thought I was going thru menopause so imagine my surprise this baby was totally unexpected.  My youngest child is 9 yrs old.  So far the baby is normal, been going in weekly since I found out last month.  My great grandma had her youngest child at 54, grandma at 50 both healthy and normal boys. Therefore I think it's based on the mothers overall health, and family genes.
I am 46.5 and just found out im pregnant. Total shock. I know how it happened though. First, let me say that I have been trying with my current husband on and off for over three years. Drs said no way at my age. So, we decided to go the donor route. Long story short, we have a beautiful little eighteen month old, and seven additional perfect embryos waiting. Well, I decided that I would lose weight and get ready for number two. I first went on an Atkins diet and included alot of nuts and seeds in that diet and lost twenty pounds, I then followed up that program with a juice diet. For two weeks, did nothing but home squeezed juice. And no not just orange, It was ALOT OF GREEN. Spinach, kale, broccoli, herbs, oranges, kiwi, mango, lemon, tomato, etc. Tons of vegetables with about 30% fruit. Tons of Folic acid! Bam! Got pregnant twelve days after starting this diet. I can't freakin' believe it.
Why so much negativity? The women on this forum are in their 40's and I supposed mature enough to know what they are doing, what the risks are and what the problems could be.  Things happen in life and sometimes you have no control over that. People get very sick in their 20's other in their 50's or 70's. My mother had me when she was 39, and my younger sister when she was 42. She had my oldest sister in her late 20's.  I am (and she was too) very happy she had my younger sister and me although at an advanced age. She died a few months ago (not from a cardiac disease or diabetes or other ailments you seem to be so worried about). I do not know what my life would have been without my younger sister. We are very close and both normal as a matter of fact (: .

If any woman wants to have a child at an advanced age, go for it.  I am 45 now and working hard to have at least one child.

Lolita231
To add to my last posting. My mother was 82 and her death was sudden and unexpected.  We spent 44 beautiful years together.  
Lolita231
I am 48 yrs trying to conceive and will not be discouraged by scare tactics.  I am a very educated woman with a master’s of science degree, like every woman in this string yes I understand the risks involved and the chances of conceiving at 40s or 50.  This however t does not mean it is impossible for a woman in their 40s or 50 to conceive naturally or have a healthy baby. We have heard so many success stories from our own families, friends and women out there to throw a towel.

Keep the faith, live a healthy life and pray.

All the best.
I had my fourth child at 40, perfectly healthy and very active. She is now 4.9 years old and I think that I may be pregnant again at 45. Missed my cycle last month, nothing yet this month. I did two HPT with big fat NEG on both. I will schedule a doctor's appt for next week, but I have been taking Pre-natals just in case. If I am, I want to give it a healthy start.
I am 47yrs old to I am going to go to Doctor  and see  if I'm. Pregnant  do to I'm have problems after 19 years for a tabulation my children's ages is 27,22 and19 and my two son 27 and 19 years have kids now and are 1yearsold and 7 months old so I every harder to have baby now they having  kids so I said if I am pregnant I want to take my  ovaries  out so I can't get no kids cause my kids making me a grand mother think it time do the  Grand parents thing like spend time with my Grand kids and be happy and enjoy life like people  my age.
I enjoyed reading your posting and am wishing you the best of luck. I am a scientist myself. Plus I have been through one unsuccessful IVF and several painful Clomid cycles because the man I was married to had compromised fertility. Having studied the odds and risks of getting pregnant after the age of 35, I decided to stop my attempts to conceive because I learnt that we did not know what exactly fertility medications would do to our bodies in a long run. I remarried when I was 43 y/o. It was too late for anything else but donor eggs according to the currently dominating medical opinion. Guess what, I got pregnant at 46 - completely accidentally and naturally without diets, herbs, accupuncture or medications. I did not even know what was going on because like many ladies here I thought I was having pre-menopausal symptoms. I must have done something right but I have no idea what it was (other than being in a good health and physical shape). My husband is older than me and does not want children. I am not worried about that, or our age, finances or the other usual concerns. The ONLY thing that matters is whether I can give birth to a heathy baby. I intend to do all available tests and monitor myself closely. This is what I recommend to everyone. Conception is a miracle that we still don't fully understand, that is why many of us resort to religious explanation. Whatever the truth, we should think of it as something absolutely wonderful and be grateful that it is happening to us.
wow, such amazing inspiring and hopeful stories you all are sharing. I finally found a wonderful man and started our life together at 41. I recently found out i have breast cancer when I went in to get myself checked for a clean bill of health because we were trying to conceive. Of course that started the creating eggs, retrieval etc. My onco fert RE thinks I may be done and starting menopause. My heart/gut is not convinced. You all are keeping my hopes alive. Thank you and wish you all a wonderful journey. thank you for sharing your life lessons that we can only learn from each other.
Hello, I'm so anxious to hear how you are doing? I am 46 yrs old and remarried. My husband and I would like to have a child of our own together. I don't want to go medical route, so if I don't get pregnant on my own naturally, then so be it. But my gut instinct is telling me I am still capable of having a healthy baby naturally. I have not even talked to a doctor about it because I know they would laugh and say no way. Could you please update on how you are doing? I hope all is well. God bless. ~Elizabeth
I'm 45 and pregnant. One shot. one time. The doctors told me at 40 that I had no eggs left. I knew better. Don't listen to the doctors, they'll just discourage you. Listen to your body.
To start off let me just say, Congratulations!  You are truly blessed!  You can do this, and I think the scare tactics that are used nowadays to discourage pregnancy after even 40 are evil.  Although at 39, with apparently nothing wrong with me, I can't seem to get pregnant.  Both of my grandmothers had children in their early to mid 40's and all of their children were perfectly healthy!  As I read through all of the posts here, I thought to myself, "Wow - I never realized how strong the pull to be a mom could be..." and the success stories outweighed the negative over and over.  Be strong - smile lots and have faith that it is all in the plan!  You give me hope!
I'll be 42 next month and have been TTC for a couple years now.   After several failed IUIs and IVF's, we've decided that we need to try something different, and are now looking for donor embryos.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with me except that I'm older.  I've never been pregnant before, and that's the one thing that has me concerned that maybe I just can't for some reason.  Is there anyone on here who got pregnant at an "advanced" (don't you just love that??) age who had never been pregnant before?

Reading all the posts on here, I have hope that it could still happen naturally!  Good luck to all of you!
Thanks for your post it has given me hope! I just turned 45 and have never been pregnant! I get my period every month. I was married for 17 years and now divorced. My husband was having problems with erectile for a lot longer than he let me know! I have met someone who is a lot younger than me and wants children.I am really hoping I have a chance to get pregnant!
I am a 45 year old mother of 4, ranging in age from 21 to my almost 13 year old twin daughters.I am also the birth mother/ surrogate of 3 other children.  Last March I found myself divorced after 21 years of marriage, because my ex couldn't keep hiself out of other womans pants, including a family member ( but,that is another story entirely!!)  I met a man on a senior website (really?) and we married 3 months after we met. He had lost his wife to cancer a few months before, and was just looking for someone to talk to! Anyway, we have 8 children between us, with my 4 being the youngest of them. We are eagerly trying to have a baby of our own! I too, am getting discouraged with the negitivity and scare tactics that seem to accompany this endevor. As an educated woman, I have read and understand the risks and problems associated with our decision. Both my husband and myself each have a child with developmental issues (my son has autism and his son has an audiological processing disorder). Reading these comments has given me renewed hope in our decision. Good luck to each and everyone of you... I hope you all succeed in your wants and desires!!
Hello Elizabeth, I am 45 and currently 10 weeks pregnant...conceived naturally!  My husband and I were married in 2011 and decided last September to give it a shot, fully aware that the stats were less than 1%. 6-8 weeks later I conceived, much to our delight and excitement. We pray for a healthy, uncomplicated pregnancy. Sometimes you just have to choose life, and all that comes with it good or bad. We're determined to remain positive and give ourselves the best possible chance, and tune out all the negativity out there, however well intentioned. What will be will be :)

Good luck to you!!
Hi, I'm 45 and almost 6 wks pg; also naturally.  We've been trying since 6 mths after our 2nd child; so 19 mths now.  Was thinking it wasn't going to happen, but decided to try for a Xmas miracle and lo and behold we got our positive.  Hoping for the best for all of us!
thanks so much for the posts. I am 43 in a few months. In a relationship since almost a year. He is not sure yet, and wants to wait (which I can understand, and will have to respect)...but I can't wait much longer. Your posts have given me hope that even 44 or 45 I could still conceive.
After reading all the post.... I am more inspired and encouraged.
Iam 46 and had a lovely daughter of 12 years old. I was so lucky to have my gal at my first try atbthe age of 33 without contraception ( after all these years of natural contraception) it's a God's gift.
I had a miscarriage in Jan 2008. Till now, I am still trying so hard to get pregnant with assistance of comic and Gonal F,  however no sign of pregnancy . Thou Both hubby and myself are working in high demanding jobs , we did all test and we are healthy. finally i decided to quit my job in 2011 to rest my body.  I am almost at the verge of giving up... After reading all these positive post... I will continuin striving. TKS all positives post.
I just posted on 3rd March......
I am 5.5 weeks pregnant Naturally .........Nothing is impossible .
With the aid of oral medicine and also hormones injection Saizen.

We are overjoyed thought the gap between 2 kid is 12 & of course my age is 46,  may have complications.

We pray for the best.    So .....everyone...... Don't have up.
I love your story!  It is inspiring!  How did everything work out?  I am 45 and was pregnant a year ago naturally but I lost it, and nothing since.  i have thought green juice might work wonders but i haven't tried it.
yeah....usually doctor tell to the patience of what they got from med school , not from experience. So I am glad to stop by this site and read very awesome stories. I am 42, married almost 4 years and still waiting for getting pregnant and never give up. We know our own body...keep trying.
Not sure this will forward to you at this late date.

How did things work out?  Did you carry to term?

I'm over 46 and hoping just one more month.  Very discouraging..  I look and am active and lively as a 35 year old -- to the point people on vacation thought I was making a joke when I said I was over forty.

My mom had me at forty and she says I kept her young.  Enjoy your little one.  My mom was my best friend.  She lived to 87, I was 47.   The one thing I'm sorry for is that she never knew the man I am with now.  Besides that, no regrets.  We always made the most of our time together.

Twins with Down syndrome would be amazing!  My LO (2 y.o) has Ds!
I am 45 and thinking about TTC.  I have 2 children, a bio son that I had at age 22, and a little girl with Down syndrome that we adopted.  We are planning to adopt another child but an older child, and we would really love another baby.  Anyone ever heard of agnus castus?  Is it supposed to help you conceive better?
This was brutally inappropriate in a forum where women have YET to be fortunate enough to become a mother.... WRONG place, HORRID choose of words...
i just turned 45 and now im am 5 weeks pregnant i have 3 children 24 22 and 17 they dont seem to enthused when i talk about wanting another baby. I told my partner i was pregnant he has taken it very hard he has no kids and doesnt want any at this point in life. I am scared i worry what my family and coworkers will think i was happy till i shared the news with my boyfriend he has gone into a depression and looks at me with angry eyes i feel sad and really scared
Wow, it's tough, kids are tough, I'm 47 and although I tried to get pg since I was 43 (again) my oldest daughter was angry at me. I finally got pg with the help of DEggs at 46 and I'm currently 14 weeks will be 48 when this one is born. She came around the day my baby was born. I'm sorry your bf isn't supportive, I'm lucky my new DH is wonerful but for 10 years he told me I don't want children. He will come around! Once he sees his baby it will change him!!!!! I pray it works out for you .
Melanie
I am in the same position as you. Our first surprise pregnancy happened at at 45. Just found out today. we have six children ages 4-16. I thought we were moving on to the next stage of our lives and am having a hard time with this news. How are you doing 4 years later?
Hello!Roxanne please dont feel bad children are a blessing from GOD!you do what's best for you and you pray about your hubbys feeling things wl turn around.As for everybody else like freinds and coworkers who cares about what they think if GOD didn't intend for you to have this child then it would be.your hubby will come around as soon as he see That beautiful lil face.I really wish I was you if been trying to conceive for a yr and a half since losing my baby last year and me and my fiance haven't been so fortunate yet we are still trying! Have your baby love your baby dont do something you will regret please you have a chance.And were still trying and it really hurts.blessing to you and your family!ladyd
I am new to this site but enjoyed reading so many of the posts so I decided to join.  I am a mother of 3 my youngest being 11 yrs old.  I am going to be 49 in May and I just found out that I am pregnant.  I conceived naturally and I am almost 7 weeks along. I am still in shock as this was not planned. My boyfriend is 15 yrs my junior and he already has 4 kids. Neither one of us ever figured on having any more.  I had my first appointment with my Ob and although she has warned me of all the risks involved and has assessed me as high risk and one of her most difficult cases...she also offered congratulations and a huge smile for me.  So far...I have yet to take blood test to determine levels and the following first ultrasound.   I am aware that the first 10-12 weeks are the most common for miscarriage and am prepared for this. I guess  I am taking a.. wait and see.. one day at a time attitude.  Or maybe it's just the shock. When your life plan is suddenly altered it always takes some time to adjust.    I will follow up with high risk for their consult and do all genetic testing necessary.  I am leaving it in God's hands. With his help and good medical care I am hoping for a healthy baby.  I just have to get past this shock.
I know you must be shocked...I am 44 and have a 3 month old beautiful girl...I was shocked never thinking I was pregnant or ever planning. She was my first child and love her more and more each day. Just want to tell women out there that it is possible to get pregnant naturally in your forties! I never went for treatment of any kind to try and conceive..my sister did and then gave up in her forties and then got pregnant naturally and now has a very smart young boy! Don't give up hope if it was meant to be, it will happen!
I'm 44 and have a 4 month old girl...had a child at 39, 40, 42 and obviously 44.. Everytime was a challenge because of how my age is viewed but I have 4 healthy children, what if I gave in to societal views? I'm thinking of a fifth but at this point even my doctor tells me I could die giving birth at downs is 1in 4 at my age.....my husband really wants me to try again but is leaving the decision to me.....
How are things working out for you? I am 45 and am 8 weeks today.  I am in total denial and preparing myself for a miscarriage although my levels are very high.  I will go to the doctor in 2 weeks.  I am "due" with this baby 20 years to the day that I had my first (who is in college) Crazy! I want to do God's will, so I know He will keep me strong whatever the outcome.
I sincerely hope all is well with you. :)
I am 45 and pregnant, lost all previous ones in miscarriage from ages 35 on, all for different reasons.  This was an accidental pregnancy.  I had given up.  I did do a detox recently, then got pregnant straight  away.  I am concerned, but my husband thinks this is our "baby" opportunity provided by God and everything will go well.  I pray that all will go well.  Hope all goes well for all other women too.  We can only keep ourselves as healthy as possible and wait and see.  I have only told my parent as I expect negative comments and fear tactics from women I know.  My father's side of the family tend to live over 95, and I hope I follow that trend.  My mum was pregnant at 45.  The doctor told me that what chromosomal combinations you get are largely due to luck, regardless of age, and not to worry, because a good pregnancy will last.  A friend told me her sister gave up on getting pregnant and 3 months later was pregnant at 37. Pregnancy can happen, after 40, but maybe it is harder because we are more stressed at 40 than at 20.
I am new to this site.  I was surprised to see so many having babies at late ages.  I had one at 40 and one at 44.  They are both very healthy, and feel so blessed.  We were done.  We have a boy and a girl.  I am late.  I am hoping I am beginning my change in life.  My husband and I don't want another baby and especially a sick child.  I have to just put this in God's hands.  How are you?  
Iam 46. I lost my first child a son six months back, he was 24.  My second child is 20. Still not out of grieving, Our whole family is devastated.  Is there any chance of me getting a normal healthy baby with my own eggs, my tubes are sterilized, I need to opt for ivf method I guess.  Pls give me suggestions
My heart is aching for you. I am so sorry for your loss. I have a 20 and 17 year old son's and my world would crumble if anything happened to either of them.
As much as you want a baby, this will never replace your lost son. You need to make sure that if you want a baby, it is for the right reasons. You are going to grieve for a very long time and will never get over loosing your son. I wish you every bit of strength and love to move forward in your life. If you are lucky enough to be blessed again, I hope it helps to close your broken heart. If this doesn't happen count the everyday you had with your first son as a blessing that you had for 24 years. Wishing you peace. x
Your partner's age is as important as yours in whether or not you get pregnant. Men have lost 65% of their fertility by age 45 and ivf treatments are less successful if the man is over 45. You are also 5x more likely to have a  miscarriage if your partner is over 40 and 10x more likely if he is over 50.

Actually, your partner's age is more important when considering possible illnesses your child may get. Men in their 40s and 50s are 10-20x more likely to have a child with several different illnesses, everything from autism to downs syndrome to schizophrenia. One in four cases of schizophrenia is now connected to men in their 40s having children.

Unfortunately, most of the recent studies discussing male fertility and aging have been largely ignored by the media and, apparently. by many doctors as well.

I was 42 when I became pregnant with my son.  So everyone knows that you are high risk at that point.  The real kicker was that the year before I had a TIA stroke in the fine motor skills part of my brain.  I completely recovered from that only to find out that I did not have the flu.  I truly believe that you get more advanced care when you are expecting a child at an advanced age.  I did have some rather extreme high blood pressure during the end of my pregnancy.  If they tell you bed rest that is exactly want they mean.  I worked full time (60+) hours a week and had a business to run.  So the bed rest was a little hard for me to follow.  One of the best thing to get you to follow those orders is a trip to the state medical center and stay till they deliver your child. They set the ground rule for bed rest.  My son was born Via Cesarian section at 34 weeks and 4 days.  The magic number is 34 weeks.  He weighted 3.7 lbs and was non responsive which was resolved quickly.  He stayed 30 days in the NICU and come home with nothing but formula.  Today he is 18 months old and you would never know he had a small beginning.  I'm now 45 and  I go to the doctor in 2 weeks I do believe that we may have another on the way.  We tried for 10 years and nothing happened the all the sudden with no type of help  (SURPRISE) a baby boy is born.  And hopefully another child is on the way.
I am 45,and I have just discovered that I am pregnant.Just shocking for me.I am sitting and crying,but my husband is so happy,this is going to be our second child.Really,really shocking.I don't know what to do?
I got pregnant naturally at 45 and will be 46 when i deliver.  This is my first pregnancy,  I have PCOS and was told since I was 13 that children were not possible.  I turned 46 when i was 7 weeks pregnant and I am currently 25 weeks pregnant.   I have had 2 toes amputated ...one at 4 weeks pregnant and the other at 15 weeks pregnant due to my diabetes.  I am doing well and no issues with my pregnancy.  My blood sugars are under control and i am being closely watched by my doctors.  they are pleased with my progress and are anticipating a normal birth the first week of December 2014.  It is possible.  And i consider this my miracle baby.  I am having a boy and looking forward to it.