Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Lining too thick?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Lining too thick?

I just met with my dr after a BFN after my second IVF. He said I should've gotten pregnant, that my embryos were great, hormones fine, etc. The only anomaly was that my lining was thicker than normal (12). When I asked what could've caused it, he started talking about vascular issues and increased blood flow to the uterus. I mentioned that I had done a lot of acupuncture during stimulation (acupuncture with electrical stimulation) and he said that could have been the reason why.
Anyone heard of this before?
Yes my lining was actually too thick actually hindering implantation(I had other issues too but that was a big one) and I had to have a d&c. I dont remeber the measurement.  We got pg the next cycle after that.  Good luck.
My lining was too thick during our first attempt at ttc.  Mine was thick due to not having acutal periods since I have PCOS and had annovulation bleeding.  I had to take provera to shed my lining, two rounds of it. After that and 3 attempts at IUI, we got pg.  

I was told that too thick of a lining is not good for implantation.  However, I didn't hear about acupunture causing a thickened lining. I hope someone can give you a definite answer on that.

I will say, I did Reiki during my second round of IUI.  I did it right before ov and ended up having to get an extra dose of bravelle.  I also thought the Reiki (my person worked on my kidneys that session since she said they felt blocked) caused my levels to go down.  However with that said, there is no scientific proof or study to back that up. It was just my hunch.  I avoided Reiki after that.
Yes, my dr said he was going to do a procedure similar to a d&c to take off the top lining. It's so frustrating b/c the embryos were good this time (fair to poor the first time) and now my lining is too thick.
I hope and pray my embryos are ok next time.
He also said if it's too thick next time, he will freeze the embryos and implant the next (nonmedicated) cycle.
Thanks for your responses
What is the normal lining..I heard minimum should be 8mm. Mine was 11mm 4days before transfer. So definitely it would be atleast 12 on transfer day. I got a positive result. I have ultra sound next Friday.
My lining was 14 at transfer.  I asked the doc if that was okay and he said it was great!  Plus ultrasound is not an accurate tool its just to give you an idea.  I take my bpt on monday so ill keep you posted!  
I had u/s today and my lining was 12 and they said that was great.  Should I be worried?  2 days ago it was 7 and they said too thin.  Now I am hoping it does not get thicker.
When is your transfer? Mine at the time of transfer would have been more than 12. Because 4 days before the transfer it was 11. I think it should be fine. I got positive result. But will be cautious until  the ultrasound.
Hmm, now I'm confused.  He said 11 was fine but 12 may be too thick.  But maybe he is just reaching for an explanation since I've had two IVFs and they were both negative...
Don't worry, it wil all be fine. When are going for the next cycle? I know that accupuncture is good during ivf, but didn't understand the electric stimulation part.
He attached electrodes (attached to an electrical device) to the needles and I felt pulses of electricity the whole time they were in.  Apparently it really increases bloodflow to the ovaries/uterus
my lining was 14 when we did 2 transfers on day 5.  Now my beta test is positive!  I am not sure if the lining is the issue,.. or atleast it s not for me.  All I have learned from this is be your own advocate.  Do your own research.  Ask a lot of questions.  Do not be afraid to get a second opinon.  this is not an exact science.  the doctors can only estimate their best.  good luck!
mine was 14 today and the Dr said it was perfect .... it's a little confusing to get mixed signals! good luck and I hope it goes better next time
I have seen a lot of other ladies on another forum I am on get pregnant with a lining of <4.5mm and I have seen alot of woman get pegnant on here with a lining of over 12mm or more.  The "ideal" lining is 8mm at least... but think of the 100's of thousands of people who get pregnant every day with out having their linings measured... Monica said it best... it's not an exact science.   We are just going on what our doctors tell us.  
my lining measured at 14.5 and my RE was happy with it when I got my BFP with twins. It's weird how every doctor say different things but I did read once that too thick can be a problem too.