Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Low AMH and IVF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Low AMH and IVF

Hello, I live in the UK and after undergoing not 1 but 3 tests for AMH all indicating extrememly low AMH levels (less than .50 to be exact) my doctors there stated that doing ivf using my own eggs would simply not wor. My question is has anyone had this test performed and had low results, but then manage to get pregnant with ivf? Thanks
I dont think your AMH sounds that low.  Mine was .008 at 44 years old, but my RE still let me try.
I am sorry to say that it was a total faliure for me, but I am 7.2 weeks now concieved the old fashion way ( I am also 45 years old ) - so getting preggo is possible even with a low AMH. :)
Hi hmh72,
I have had this test and my AMh has come back very low 0.3. my doctor has not yet said anything about not using my own egg. I am not sure though he is just being nice in letting me take a shot at IVF, iui etc or he really believes that pregnancy is still possible.
I am scheduled to have IUI next month. one thing you can ask your doctor to do, is Antral folicle count. They basicallyput you on Clomid to stimulate your ovaries. that is more effectice that the AMH test by itself.
I have heard of women getting pregnant on low AMH. so my advise would be to seek a second opinion.

best of luck
Hi - Yes! I was 36 and diagnosed with low AMH of 0.3, and very high FSH.  My RE said my chances of using my own eggs w/IVF, getting and staying pregnant to full term delivery were "in the single digits" - but he said if we still wanted to give it a try he would tweak my protocol.  We went for it and on the first cycle I got pregnant and I'm now a mom to a very happy and healthy 4 month old boy.  Basically he had to give me almost twice the amount of stimulant (Gonal-F) than most patients receive.  I think that did the trick (plus transferring two 5 day embryos as opposed to 3 day olds).  So it can happen :)  Best of luck to you!!
Hi Lisa RG,

Thanks for your reply. I guess according to how they measure your AMH, I have heard there are several different ways to measure, depends on where you stand. From the chart that was used for me, I was in the lowest range. Although my FSH is normal. I have heard of women also getting pregnant the old fashioned way too, except I have one of my tubes blocked, so it makes it a little more challenging. Congratulations on your pregnancy! Best of Luck!!
Hello LilyB, thanks for your feedback. I have had an antral follicle count on Day 3 (w/o chlomid) and only 3 were seen. My doctor indicated that this was a little on the low range. I am set to start IVF next month in the US at a very high dose, so I am really keeping my fingers crossed and trying to stay as positive as possible. Best of luck to you!!
Wow truly encouraging for me to hear this Summergirl04. Thanks for sharing this with me. And also my doctor in the US also said that he would give me a higher than normal dose of Gonal F. Do you know exactly what dose you were on and what other medications too? I am set to begin in about 15 days and am getting a little nervous. I am trying to stay as positive as possible so we shall see. Congratulations on your little one!
Can I join in too?? I have low amh too-mine was 0.3 and I'm starting injections in less than a week. YIKES! A little scared!  My re is starting me out on 300iu's of Bravelle.  Just to give everyone a glimmer of hope, I did get pregnant this year but unfortunately loss the pregnancy.  My re said that that is a good sign so I'm hoping the med's will do the trick.  I wish everyone the best of luck here.  
Hi all - So sorry for the delay in responding!  Crazy work week.. Anyway, hmh72 sure - let me check my ppwk & I'll post the dosage info I took along w/the other meds.  I'll post that in just a bit.  Jillnyc, I'm so sorry for your loss, but that is a good sign, maybe we just need the meds to get/keep things going.  Sending you all best wishes w/the meds.  I was really scared too, it took me forever to do the first one.  I just stood there with the needle for about an hour.  Once you get past that first one, you'll be just fine. I was so surprised, it wasn't bad at all.  The stomach ones didn't hurt at all. Even the ones you eventually have to do in your hip.  But I know, looking at all those needles & medical supplies can be scary & unnerving. I promise they won't bring you to tears (the injections alone anyway ) :)
Okay, here's what I did:  
750 IU Gonal-F for about a week, Cetrotide, hcg & Progesterone injections (maybe 10 days or so), then progesterone suppositories for a while (6 wks I think).

I really think the increased Gonal-F and the progesterone helped a lot.  The Progesterone helps to maintain the pregnancy & prevent miscarriage (I'm sure your Dr. went over that w/you...)

Good luck again to all of you, good thoughts & prayers :)
Thank you so much for this information Summergirl04. What is assuring is that I will also be on somewhat of the same protocol too. So I hope and pray.

Good luck to you Jillync, it is truly quite nerve wrecking but I am sure with faith and a positive outlook we will get thru this and have a wonderful suprise waiting for us in the end.

Thanks again!
i was wondering since all of u started trying in 2009....any success in getting pregnant????i have very low AMH 0.21 and low antral follicular count by 3D sonar and my dr doesnt recommend IVF but i still want to try......he said hes giving me the choice but i need some positive feedback from u ladies plz.........
dooz 39years old.....
Hi there. I know it's been a while. By the way, are u still trying to get pregnant?

Baballena