Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Low Sperm Count

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Low Sperm Count

We have been ttc for over a year now. We found out that my husband has a low sperm count. My doctor said there is no solution since it is about 1% of the normal 20 million. We have been improving our diet and my husband has been taking zinc supplements and some chinese meds to improve sperm count and motility. We have not seen any improvements yet. We have arranged a sperm test this week. I have been taking folic acid, taking bbt. Is there anything we are doing wrongly? How do we get my husband back on track. I need a child desperately.
hi i have heard if a man take 2tbsp of honey with 1 pinch of powered ceniman before going to bed it will make his sperms quality good..increase sperm count motility and make morphology good i have tried it when my hubby was not on honey his sperm analysis result was not fine his morphology of sperms was 93% (normal is 75% to 85%) but after taking honey his  morphology was 82% and his sperm count n motiolity was excellent.
Thanks sweetmoon101 I will let my hubby try the honey and cinnamon. I hope it works.
My DH had 3million at the first test, and the urologist got him clomid. (strange huh). But that guy was an ass anyway, he said "try it for a couple months and in the meantime get used to the idea of adoption, IVF probably won't work either", so an ass and dumb. Never heard of IVF with ICSI? Anyway, that worked like a charm, I have now twins and a singleton.
Anyway, whatever you do to get the count up, living healthier, giving up the caffeine and alcohol, herbal supplements, whatever, remember that you'll only see effect in 3 months. We got it up from 3 to 5.5, not enough, I hope you'll have better luck.
HELLO THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT BUT I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE COMBINATION OF IVF AND ICSI THAT HELPED YOUR CONCEPTION.
With normal IVF, they combine the eggs and sperm and the sperm still needs to swim to the eggs and penetrate, with ICSI, they take 1 sperm in the lab and put it in the egg. So you really just need one per egg and it doesn't even have to be a good swimmer ;-) as long as the rest looks OK. It costs extra (we paid 1600, or our insurance did for ICSI) but when you are going through all the IVF-trouble, why not maximise your chances, right. I heard that here in the bay-area 80% of all IVF cycles are with ICSI.
My temperature has stayed low for over a month now, since 15/12/06 there was no sign of approaching my menses but i had some bleeding which was not a normal period. My temperature have still remained low and seem not to rise. Been moody and bloated. Today 05/02/07, I have seen some signs of ovulation. Has my thermometer given up on me or could I be pregnant?????
Hi there!
My husband is also not fertile with a 2 million sperm count and bad motility and morphology.  If there was an herbal remedy or any solution, then we would have heard about the success.  My first Invitro resulted in twins, but with an abnormal chromosome (male and female).  They did not live.  I had a D&C.  My second Invitro about 3 months later resulted in no pregnancy at all.  That was more disappointing than the first loss.  we are going to try the invitro probably one more time.  We use the Intercytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI), which is where they take one sperm and inject it into the egg to fertilize it.  This doesn't necessarily increase your chances because it also may not fertilize.  I would recommend to be very healthy.  as healthy as you can be.  no smoking at all!!  No drinking. Excersize so that you can get as much oxygen into your body as you can and keep drinking lots of water.  The biggest factor in all of this is to be patient and pray to whoever you pray to.  Keep your faith.  I belive that God will bless us when he is good and ready.  There is nothing I can do, so I don't worry about it anymore.  It is out of my hands.  It is in God's hands now.  If you think that not having kids will ruin a marriage, then you need to both look at yourselves and realize that there may be other plans for you.  I know this may sound nuts, but seriously, if you don't let it go you will drive yourself and each other nuts.  I am so sorry that you cannot afford the Invitro.  Try to find a new hobby or sport or whatever you like and just relax.  Look how many times women give up and then "boom" they are pregnant.  
God bless your family,
Monica
I have been posting on this forum for weeks my dh also has a low sperm count along with low morph etc.  We have had 2 iui's.  Have any of you thought about donor sperm?  We are trying that route this month.  
Hey girls!  Ok, I recently heard from a girl on this forum that just got her bfp. She was using MACA ROOT. It's suppose to increase fertility in men and women.  I've been reading up all afternoon on it and I ordered my own earlier! I start next month if I'm not pregnant by that time.  It's suppose to increase sperm count. Google it, you'll see!  Here's a few links.  Read up!

http://www.menstruation.com.au/fertility/malemaca.html

http://www.peruvian-maca.com/men.htm

http://www.maca-herb.com/info/maca_root.htm
HI MY HUSBAND AND I MARRIED FOR 4YEAR AND WE CAN NOT HAVE CHILDREN BECAUSE HE HAS A LOW SPERM COUNT.WHAT CAN I DO.BECAUE WE WANT TO HAVE A THREE LOVIN CHILDREN.
my husband passed away 12 days after we got married. but he had low sperm count and it was part of his depression. if only he had known there were ways around this.
linojin yor doctor was a fool for saying u could not concieve (conceive) with a low sperm count. i am a male with a low sperm count. all the doc told me was i had less than 3 million, and not enough to test morphology motility etc. i was gutted to hear this as a child is all i ever wanted. i was later diagnosed with low thyroid. since being treated 2 months ago ive noticed no increase in sperm count but my wife is pregnant. never give up hope, and also dont make the guy feel bad about it. support him as its tough. low sperm isnt the end of the journey. this is the 21st century. if u wanna baby u WILL HAVE ONE EVENTUALYxx love to you all and good luck
dont give up it took my brother and his wife 5yrs before finaly having alitle girl it took me and my wife 4 years  with men having low sperm count  acualy taking in more vitamin c  and ofcourse not smoking  smoking has a big effect on tha matter.
be sure to have physical activity jogging daily half to one hour.Eat blackseed(Nigela and saltiva)one tea spoon two times daily.Eat two table spoon of organic extra virgin olive one tablespoon on empty stomach and one on empty stomach before taking dinner.But with olive oil take organic honey two teaspoon and one tea spon of cinnamon powder original one night and morning with in one to two month your husband will feel more stamina and thickness e-mail me on ***@**** for any helpful info and i will give you.
My husband has a low sperm count. (And motility issues.) When we did IVF with ICSI, we got 6 fertilized eggs!!  Like someone else on here posted, all it takes is one sperm to fertilize an egg.  That's why ICSI is amazing!  I am now a full-on proponant for it!
Try accupuncture!!My h had a really low count and we have been told ivf is our only option. He did accu weekly with a person who knows fertility treatment for three mon
ths. It helped heal his aches and pains AND increased his count x7. Our doc just told us we MAY now be in the running to try IUI! Its worth a try...its great for balancing out the female body, too. I love it!! Good luck to you.
Husbands 2 NHS sperm anaylisis results very bad (so doctors said) -
morphology-2.1 normal forms
motility-13.5% rapid progressive motility
19%-slow sluggish prog mot
8%-non prog mot
59.5-immotility
Vitality-44.8% alive sperm

We were told this was bad and no chance of natural conception!

Anyhow off we trotted to Poland to see a private specialist who said we DID have a chance but slight as i am 40 yrs old also.

Little did i know i was already 1 week pregnant NATURALLY!
6 weeks gone now ;-) Only thing thwarting it is now my hubby thinks i have a lover as he was convinced he couldnt get me pregnant naturally. I'd say always find that money to go private. They know exactly what they are talking about unlike usual GP's. Our GP (who am going to see this morning) has alot of questions i want answering.
ok so i just found this  for those of u who  have low sperm count or no sperm count as an issue
Testicular sperm extraction (TESE) is the process of removing a small portion of tissue from the testicle under local anesthesia and extracting the few viable sperm cells present in that tissue for the purpose of intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI).[1] The testicular sperm extraction process is recommended to men who are unable to produce sperm by ejaculation as a result azoospermia, such as caused by primary testicular failure, congenital absence of the vas deferens or non-reconstructed vasectomy.

Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) and testicular sperm extraction (TESE) have reduced the need for donor sperm.

Serum inhibin-B weakly indicates presence of sperm cells in the testes, raising chances for successfully achieving pregnancy through TESE, although the association is not very substantial, having a sensitivity of 0.65 (95% confidence interval [CI]: 0.56–0.74) and a specificity of 0.83 (CI: 0.64–0.93) for prediction the presence of sperm in the testes in non-obstructive azoospermia.[2]
My boyfriend has 2% low sperm count and I had gotten pregnant 5 times from him with 2 ectopic before 1 successful  n 2 miscarriage after... I have a soon to be 5 year old boy n we been trying to get pregnant again.. I seem to get pregnant every 2 years in August! so it is possible!