Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Luteal Phase - start day of o or day after?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Hello, I am ttc baby#2 for two months now. I have been charting, and have noticed the past two months I have a short luteal phase. (10 days I think) ...when does the luteal phase start? the day of ovulation or the day after? If it starts the day of, then it is 11 days, if it starts the day after it is 10 days. It did take me 10 months to concive my first, so I am wondering if it has anything to do with having a short luteal phase? Has this been a problem for anyone else?
i think it is the days after O. days post ovulation(DPO) i too only have a 10 day LP and some say its ok some say its not i would suggest taking the vitamin B-6 you can buy it at walmart or your local grocery store and you take it throughout you entire cycle i took it and it added 3 days to mine. good luck
Yes, the count starts after the day of ovulation. I've heard 10 or more days in your luteal phase is fine, but like the previous poster said, you could try B6 :-)
Thank you!...do you think it is too late to start taking it.. I am on CD7...also, I had asked my dr about B6 because I had read about it, but she said she had not heard of it adding days. Are there any risks that you know of associated with B6? I am currently taking prenatals...do you think that is enough?
It would not know why it would be too late to start taking it.  NO risks taking B6.  It is a regular vitamin.  No, there is not enough in your pre natals to make a difference.  It should be in addition to your pre natals.  My RE recommends it along with B12.  B6 added a few days to my lp.  My RE wants a minimum of 13-14 days of a lp.
Can B12 and B6 be found in a regular supliment vitamin, or are there completely separate?

And speaking of prenatal vitamins or follic acid, are you guys taking them?  Obgyn said there is no need until I actually get pregnant, RE said to start taking them and gave a choice: either prenatal (they are huge pill and I can't even swallow them); follic acid; or food suplement that contains follic acid.

Any suggestions on this?
B6 and B12 are separate.
My OB and RE said to take otc pre natals.  You want that folic acid in your system before you get pregnant.  They said they would not give a rx for prenatals until pregnant.  I buy whichever ones otc that have the most folic acid.  I think the last ones I got were One Source...you take two everyday and they are small.  I take a B12 and a B6 in addition to the prenatals.  I also take Omega 3, which my RE recommended.  I have taken if for a long time anyway due to high cholesterol.  My RE also suggested my dh take the B12 even though he has no issue, it can help make the little swimmers "healthier."
I've heard it (Lut. Phase) starts about 24 hrs before ovulation.  I read it begins when you first detect your LH surge and remains until your next cycle starts. That surge happens 12 - 36 hrs before you actually ovulate.  But, I"m reading otherwise here.  I guess it's best to check with your doc.
Good luck!!
The reason it is called luteal phase is because after the egg is released the follicle become a "corpes luteum". That's where the term comes from and that's why it starts the day after ovulation :-)
thank you for all of your answers ladies! It is greatly appreciated! So here is another question for you...if you get af at night (9:00p or 10:00p) would you consider that CD1 or the following day CD1? That is also where I am thrown off at figuring out my luteal phase....
MY RE says anytime before midnight counts as cd1.  My Gyn. said to start counting the next day....  Every Dr. seems to have a different opinion. I tend to always start late at night.
thanks kindergal. I hope it is the next day or else that would be cutting my lp even shorter, and that would cause me even more concern...this is so frustrating! :-)