Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Mirena - will removal of Mirena make the smell go away?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Please help!

I had Mirena put in 20/8/2010 while undergoing treatment for endometriosis.

It's been agony, I can feel it in me when I move around. I can feel it after sex, I just hurt. When I first had it put in, I had contractions where I fell to my knees and lay on the ground making involuntary noises of pain. I thought it was just pain from the operation. Also I felt like something was stuck, serious agony.

Anyway, it went away. The spotting continued until about last month. I also noticed lumps of tissue like some of you have mentioned.

Last week I caught a horrific cold, the fever I had was insane, I actually felt like a madwoman, nothing made sense whatsoever. And ever since then, I could smell that ammonia, acrid, sour smell you've been talking about. I was hoping it was just my cold, but I'm over that now. I'm still suffering with this smell. Also discharge is sometimes bright red, sometimes not... now it's more just white/ yellowy.  

It does not burn, it does not itch, everything externally looks normal and healthy. I just can't stand the smell. Honestly, I'm at a point now where I can't face having sex, going to the bathroom, going outside... I'm sure it's not as bad as I think but I can smell it and it's so depressing.

I have never had this problem in my life. Never! The only thing that changed was I had sex. We waited a long time after I had my operation to be sure I'd be alright and safe.

I have a couple of questions:

For those of you who have HAD this discharge and had Mirena removed - did it GET RID of this god-damn smell?

When you get it removed in the UK, can my GP do it? Can he do it there and then?

I think I want this thing out, and to have tests done afterwards. I have never had this and I'm so mortified. I've been off work for a year with stress from the pain and bleeding from Endometriosis, I had surgery to help it and I've had really bad depression and was just starting to feel I could go back to work. I sell perfume... there is NO WAY I could go to work with this smell. No way. I just want to cry every time I think about it. Please, please tell me this smell goes away when you take it out... otherwise I really don't know what on earth I will do.
I had the Mirena, biggest mistake of my life. I had that smelly discharge too, and it was constant. I could feel it inside me, I told the doc I could feel it, but they blew me off. Depression, no sex drive and pain during sex for 3 years. In the end I had it out. It does go away after having it out. I felt so much better once it was out of me. Another reason why I took it out was because I wanted another baby. I fell pregnant next month after I had the Mirena taken out, but I lost my baby. Just know your not alone, there are so many out there in the same position as you. All the best.
I got the Mirena, and ive had it for two years now and i for about 4 months now im starting to get the smelly discharge the pain and im even starting to bleed again, I regret gettin this thing, but im scared does it hurt when they take it out?? i know this is a crazy question im just nervous and im scared this may lead to more infections or even cervical cancer with all the discharge and smell.
I have the lower back pain, cramps, smelly discharge is that normal when you have the mirena iud? I'm so worry about it i really don't know what to do! I'm thinking to go to the drs, what do you recomend?
I've had mirena for almost 3 years now and just in the past few months started experiencing the yellow smelly discharge, its so embarrassing im even afraid to go to the dr for it. I feel like everyone can smell it and I refrain from sex until i can shower and get rid of the smell for awhile. I hate it, but I don't want to get rid of it because I enjoy mot having my period.
I just had my mirena taken out today. I only had it in for about 3 months. I bled for about the first two. I had an awful odor that I've never had before. It was effecting my sex life my boyfriend hardly wanted to have sex because of the smell. I had awful cramps 2-3 times a week. I thought this would be a good birth control for me and I tried to give it a chance while having it in I went to my obgyn several times. He said the odor was from my spotting and it would go away after I stopped. Well i stopped spotting and guess what it wasn't gone. I tried everything differnt washes, douches... Everything nothing worked. I felt so relieved when I saw other women went through the same thing and it wasn't just me. But now its gone and hopefully things will go back to normal for me. Good luck to anyone else who is doing research on this problem I know these things really helped me and convinced me to get mine removed.
This is my 3rd iud and I can't stand it. I never put two and two together with the first two, but with third the symptoms were worst. I now have the smell, the discharge, mood swings, no sex drive, etc. I'm getting mine removed on Monday!
i had THE WORST mood swings with the mirena, i wanted to punch everyone in the face, my boyfreind the most !  i had the mirena in for about 3 months and it started to give me back to back yeast infections, as soon as i would get rid of one another one was in the process of coming on ! the mirena is the worst birth control i've ever been on in my life ! i had the smell all you ladies are talking about and its a smell i do not wish upon anyone , my boyfreind didnt even want to have sex with me because of the smell , i would shower and it would be back in a matter of min. as soon as i got it removed EVERYTHING stopped ! thank you lord :)
I had the mirena inserted to help with complex endometriosis...the day after i had it inserted i woke up feeling depressed and got gradually worse as the weeks went on....not helped by 5 weeks of very heavy bleeding.

After 2 months my breasts became extremely tender and painful, (as if i was pregnant) and then a few weeks later i noticed the smell! ...The worst symptom of all, i felt embarrassed to stand or sit too close to anyone and was constantly aware of it. I used Rephresh as recommended from my constant online searching...it did help for 2 days but the smell soon came straight back with a vengeance.

The mirena also had no effect on my periods other than make them last longer...i had 3 weeks without bleeding in the 14 weeks i had it in.

Long story short...i got the mirena removed after just 3 months and the smell was gone by the time i got home from the doctor's appointment.

The mirena is evil, I'm glad it's gone and would discourage anyone from having it inserted!
I have a merina for 7years its expired and the smell is bad inside and my husband say the discharge tastes funny to.. I hate it... I have no stds but suffer with yeast infections all the time.. I cant explain the smell.. I am going to have mine removed tomorrow and i hope the smell goes away...i have waited long to have it out but i just dont want periods or anymore kids.. I cant be on the pill as i have Von Willebrands bleeding disorder.. I dont know what im going to do... I also suffer badly with back ache and low sex drive and when i had it put in the doctor never told me any of this.. Im complaining all the way from south africa...
The smell I am experiencing can only be described as a 'pig farm' I've had the mirena for four years now and the smell started a few months ago. I felt a strange stabbing pain during sex and have had slight spotting after sex since. The smell follows these 'spotting' times for a few days after. It's rather embarrassing when my husband can smell it! He says it smells like something's dead in there! I've had a smear recently and mentioned this, no infection was detected, so I think the only thing I can do is visit the dr when I smell! Embarrassing but essential I think :/