Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Miscarriage from Chromosomal Abnormality

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

This is my first time posting, and I want to say that I know exactly how many of you feel because I m/c in December(my first one). The baby was 7w 6d.  I had a D&C performed. I was so devestated and surprised since I gave birth to a healthy baby boy in 2005 with no complications.

I've been doing alot of research and it seems that many first time miscarriages can be something random and a one time occurance so the chances of having the next pregnancy go full term are very good.

I got the results from the D&C from the Physcian's Assistant at my doctor's office on Friday and my miscarriage was the result of a chromosomal abnormality. She said my husband and I may want to consider genetic counseling to see what my chances of miscarrying were for  the next time. I was quite surprised she even mentioned genetic counseling since this is my first miscarriage and I have carried a previous pregnancy to full term. I am waiting for the doctor to call me back to get more details about the report and see what she thinks about genetic couneling.

I am curious to find out from anyone who's had a first time miscarriage due to a chromosomal problem what your doctor advised you to do.
First of all, I want to extend my sympathy on the loss of your son.

After my first mc (chromosonal abnormalities) they told me to try again.  In my province they do not do any advanced testing until you have had three losses.  

Take heart, you know you can bear a healthy child.
^^I agree. A very large percentage of early m/c are due to chromosomal abnormalities. I had a blighted ovum and m/c at 6 wks, but that was likely due to chromosomal abnormalities. I'm sorry, but I think this PA is worrying you unnecessarily. Did the OB authorize him or her to give you that info? My OB said they only do that type of testing if you have recurrent m/c. I'm sorry you are dealing with this. ((Hugs)).
Thank you girls for your encouragement. I also think the PA's recommedation is extreme esp for a first time miscarriage. That is why I am waiting to hear back from the doctor. Honestly, I feel very uncomfortable with getting test results and medical recommendations from a PA. I think this type of information should come from a doctor.
Was this your first miscarriage? If so, generally, your chances for a successful pregnancy are still very good.

What advice did your doctor give you?
I first would like to say I am sorry about your loss..

I just wanted to ask you--when you m/c in Oct did you go natural or did you have a D&C where the tissue could be tested?
I had natural MC the doctor said there was no need unless I had more difficulties.  I had a very painful MC baby was 7.5 weeks.
For some reason the site isn't letting me post my own comment it doesn't give me a spot to put a title and then tell's me it won't post unless I put one.  But anyway I am curious about the chromosomal thing, I was told by my DFIL that I should make sure my DH and my blood matched and maybe this is why we MC in Oct. but I thought he was crazy and that wasn't an issue anymore with technology.  But maybe I should check into it more.
Yes first Pregnancy and first MC and doc. didn't really tell me anything.  He just did an ultrasound and said that he couldn't see the sack and my HCG levels were dropping so he just told me to go home and rest and when I was feeling better I could go back to work.  And if the pain got worse he could prescribe me something for it.