Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
My husband smokes pot.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

My husband smokes pot.

Hi- My husband smokes pot we are going to try to concieve (conceive) next month. Will that harm the baby? I keep telling him it will.
Just a question do you have any other children?  Have the 2 of you been trying for a long time

My husband was a heavy pot smoker in highschool and college and stopped a couple of years before we married anyway we tried for a year to have a baby and when we couldn't concieve (conceive) we went to see a fertility specialists.   After alot of tests he concluded that my hubby caused damage with all the pot smoking and has low sperm motility and now we are going through IVF to try and get pregnant.  The FS explained to me that this does not happen to all men who smoke pot but it does happen to most
We do not have children yet. We had a mc in November. But I keep thinking that my child (when we do start trying and become successful) could have problems? Such as ADD or something else? Have you ever heard anything like that?
No I have never read anything about that
Although my husbands brother is a heavy pot smoker and he has 2 children and they both have ADD actually the little boy has ADHD - we are not sure if there is a link but you never know right?  When it comes to a child why risk it???
My first husband smoked pot every day (and still does).  I conceived after trying only 2 months.  My pregnancy was wonderful, delivery was great, and my ds was and is normal with no problems.  He is a happy healthy 16 year old now.  We have only  had the normal problems....and he doesn't have ADD or ADHD.  Although I believe pot smoking is definitely harmful (and I am against any illegal drug use) and can cause some men to have a lower sperm count, I don't believe it causes harm to your child.  I would encourage your husband to stop, and make sure when you do conceive he is not around the child or you.  

On another note....I divorced my ex when my son was 2.  Pot smoking was one of the reasons, I didn't want my ds being around it.  Now my ds is strongly against anyone who does drugs and caught his Dad smoking in the bathroom on one of his weekend visits.  My ds has not been back to visit him.  Mostly his decision (I didn't want him going back) .....and I told his father it was all my decision.  Just a thought about later on in your childs life if your husband doesn't stop. Good luck.
My husband used to smoke and when my Son was conceived he was in the hight of his use.  I spoke to the DR. at that time and he said that it will not hurt the baby.
I know a couple who are both heavy pot smokers and were SO fertile, they popped out 2 one right after another after aborting the first one. It was really upsetting to see especially when they continued to smoke while she was pregnant, and I mean ALOT. I dont know what the corrolation is but we had been trying to conceive for 3 years and watching them was really hard. We are no longer friends not just for that but for other reasons. Just to be on the safe side, I would stop smoking. Good luck to you
From everything I've read, it won't hurt the baby.  
Here is a link you may find useful

http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/print.aspx?token=af362d97-4f80-4453-a175-02cc6220a387&chunkiid=47213