Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
No Sac at 5 Weeks but HCG >2000?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

No Sac at 5 Weeks but HCG >2000?

This has really been bugging me so I'll post this question to see if anyone else has some insight...

Today I'm 5 weeks, 3 days along, and last Thursday the doctor did an ultrasound and didn't see much.  We MAY have seen a tiny black blip that could have been a sac, but the doctor wouldn't comment if it was or wasn't.  He said he had accidentally scheduled me too early.for the ultrasound and it was probably just too soon to see anything.

The thing is, my HCG that day was 2360.  My understanding is that if your HCG is >1500, you should be able to see a gestational sac regardless of the gestational age.  I went and dug out my ultrasounds from my last pregnancy with my son, and at 5 weeks, 1 day, I had a nice sized clearly visible sac.

So this has me worrying, of course, about an ectopic.  My progesterone is great, at 33, and my HCG has been 116 at 14 dpo, 232 at 16 dpo, and 2360 at 21 dpo, so all my bloodwork looks great, but I still worry about the possibility of an ectopic.

Has anyone else had the situation where a sac wasn't visible at 5 weeks or so, but their HCG was >2000?  Also, has anyone else had an ectopic that had totally normal blood test results?

*runs to get meditation CDs and worries self to death*

Sheri
Hey there. I know how worried you must be. I would be too. I have had an ectopic and my numbers never doubled. yours are doubling perfectly so i dont see why there would be anything wrong. im sure that everything is fine. maybe they just couldnt get a good pic, when is your next u/s? i bet its all gonna be ok. And remember every pregnancy is different. keep me posted:)
Amanda
Please visit a doctor with advanced equipment to give you a good pelvic US.

what's a a tiny black blip? has it been there before this cycle as well? Please continue to check HCG.

I could imagine how worried you are. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Hi there!

My doc's equip should be pretty advanced.  He is one of the leading reproductive endocrinologists in the city.

Tiny black blip meaning, it was some sort of round black tiny circle sitting on my lining, but it was REALLY small. The nurse said it could be a sac, the doctor said he wouldn't say one way or the other since it was too early and could just be some fluid filled something, but no, I'd not seen it before though I wasn't looking.

They'll do another ultrasound this coming Thursday and that will tell the tale.  If nothing is there this week, it's definitely an ectopic.  My one saving grace is that ectopics typically have odd HCG levels, and if not that, they have relatively low progesterone levels.  My HCG levels are great and my progesterone is pretty high, so I'm probably just freaking out over nothing.

Thanks for the support! I'll let you know how all goes on Thursday!

Sheri
Hi Sheri1972,

I had an ectopic pregnancy and my numbers started out doubling and then my numbers were  only going up about 50%.  They did a u/s where they were unable to see a sac, so they knew it was ectopic. I was in my 5th week when the numbers stopped doubling.

I really hope this is not the case with you.  Good luck on Thursday.
Kah,

What was your progesterone at the time?  Was your HCG relatively low or higher when you first started out?

Sheri
My progestrone level was very good at that time. My first beta level was high at 160 and that was 15dpo.  Also, you have to remember they could not see anything in my u/s at least there is something in yours.  I just hope it works out for you.

Thank you for the information!

I'm going to be chewing my nails until Thursday!

Sheri
Hi Sheri,
5 weeks can be early even to see a sac..
The only thing that is a little off is the beta level BUT beta levels are very different for each women.
I really really hope it will turn out to be only a scare.
keep us posted,
Miky
I'm hoping it was just a fluke.  At least we saw SOMETHING in the scan... a tiny little round black spot.  It was maybe the size of a dime.

I certainly continue to have symptoms, which I suppose is good too.  My bbs are killing me!!

*crosses fingers for Thurs*

Sheri
I thought I'd pass this link on:  http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpregnancy/hcglevels.html - your levels look within normal limits to me - I remember my beta level at 5w1d at 2,748.  I hope everything goes well tomorrow - good luck and ssbd!    
I'm not really worried about my HCG.  I think it's at a great level for how far along I am. I was just worried that we didn't officially see a "sac" at 5 weeks, and my HCG was 2360, but the last pregnancy at 5 weeks, I saw a huge one!

I know... I know... I should probably stop worrying!

Sheri
We sorta went thru the same thing with my DD recently.  They said you should START to see a sac somewhere about 1200-1500 hCG.  If hCG are doubling, then at 2300+ would have only been the second day to actually see anything, and it sounds to me if you saw a dime-sized something, that is a considerable sac.  

Good luck on your ultrasound.  I will be anxious to see your post!  
Lori
You know...you just never know! Don't give up hope yet, and of course...try not to worry too much (yeah, right!)
We did see a sac w/ numbers like that, but when we went a week later w/ numbers still going up, didn't see a h/b or a fetal pole at 7 wks. My hcg numbers had been really tricky, they would double, then not double, then double again...we were testing about every 2 days after my 10 day hcg test (IVF). With my weird numbers the doc thought possible ectopic, but when he did the u/s and ckd my tubes he saw it wasn't. He did tell me that your numbers can still go up even if it isn't viable pregnancy due to your body still thinking it is pg w/ out the baby progressing. So I did m/c at 9 wks (didn't do a d&c...still was hanging on to any hope!)
BUT 5 wks can be early, esp. if you don't have EXACT date of conception or late implantation.
Sending all my best!