Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
No heartbeat on doppler

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

No heartbeat on doppler

Hey everyone.  Well I am officially 9 weeks and 5 days along with my first child (third pregnancy).  I have had an ultrasound performed routinely every week since my 4.5 week mark.  Every ultrasound has been great.  My third ultrasound at 5 weeks and 6 days showed my baby's heartbeat for the first time.  All the subsequent ones also showed an embryo growing properly with a good heartrate.  My last ultrasound was last wednesday at 8 weeks and 6 days.  My doctor said everything was going perfectly and that he was not going to need to see me for 3 weeks, ugh - now what.  I am just a worried mom and want to be sure everything is ok with my baby, especially since I had two previous miscarraiges.  Anyway, I work for a family practitioner who has been trying to pick up a heartbeat with our inhouse 3 mhz doppler with no success.  He stated that i could be as far along as 12-14 weeks before we get a heartbeat since I have a retroverted (tilted) uterus.  Has anyone else experienced this?  The doctor did say that 85% of the time he can get a heartbeat at ten weeks with the doppler depending on fetal position and size of the mother, but why so long for me.  I am pretty slender, 5'3" 120lbs.  Shouldn't I be able to hear it earlier than 12 weeks.  Sorry I am blabbing.  Let me know.  Thanks
The earliest I've got a heartbeat with a doppler is 11 weeks.

Bigs Hugs,

Ruth xx
I forgot to add I'm a similar frame to you, 5 lb heavier and one inch taller :) and all the Dr's I have seen (I have other children) seem reluctant to use a doppler till 12 weeks (probably due to this!) When do you have your next appointment?

Bigs Hugs,

Ruth xx

Yes, the HB on the doppler takes awhile to show up...almost at end of first trimester.    You don't have to worry about anything, however, since it's showing up on the ultrasound (that's more important that hearing it on the doppler).  You're fine.
I didn't post earlier - I have been seeing an obgyn for my prenatal care and have an ultrasound scheduled for April 12, but the doctor I work for is a family practitioner and has the doppler inhouse, so thats how i get a doppler done so frequently.  Thanks
Thanks for your kind words.  It really does help.  My next appointment is on April 12 and I will be a little over 12 weeks along then.  I will be getting weekly to bi-weekly doppler trys because I work for a doctor and we have the equipment inhouse to try it.  Lets hope I hear something soon.  xoxo
I'm glad you posted this.  I am also 9 weeks, 5 days with my first child (second pregnancy).  I had an u/s at 7 weeks, 5 days that was perfect, strong heartbeat.  I was anxious so I went to the doc. at 9 weeks, 1 day and they could not pick up a HB on the doppler.  I am also thin, 5' 3", 115 lbs.  My doc. said there is only a 10 - 20 % chance they could pick it up that early.  (I don't know what mhz their doppler is) So that made me feel better (a little).  I'm going back when I'm 11 weeks and the chances then will be 70 % they said.  So, I'll hang in there if you do!! :)  We're probably just being too paranoid.  When is your next u/s or doppler try???  
Hi, I just wanted to say a couple of things and hope I ease your mind a little bit. MHZ stands for megahertz, second most doctors don't pick a HB with a doppler until 12 weeks, if the doppler is not up to date or a newer model it can become less effective and take even longer. Yvette was correct, the ultrasound is definately more important so don't worry. It may also be harder to pick up due to a tilted uterus. I was pregnant once and made it to 27 weeks but the baby was Still born. I had purchased a rather expensive home doppler and never picked up a HB the entire time, so I wouldnt rely on the in house doppler. Best of luck!!!
I think that every woman is different.  I bought a doppler on line and on sunday I heard my baby's heartbeat.  I bought it because it was about the same price to rent one of the better ones.  I was 9 weeks on sunday and I have heard baby's heartbeat everyday....I check it in the morning and at night.  It provides great peace of mind since I had a hard pregnancy with my son, but everyone is different.  It says that usually the heartbeat is detected around 10-12 weeks.  I guess I was just lucky.  Don't worry, just know in a few weeks you will be able to hear the baby's heartbeat!!!!