Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
No period 11 weeks after miscarriage and D&C and definately not pre...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

No period 11 weeks after miscarriage and D&C and definately not pregnant

I had a blighted ovum and consequently a D&C on the 14th Dec 06. I thought I was 11 weeks pregnant but the pregnancy had stopped developing at 7 weeks. I haven't had a period since I had the D&C. I'm really worried because in Jan and Feb I've experienced bad period pain for 2 days but no period. On Feb 1st I tested positive on an ovulation kit and I experienced period pains 14 days later (when I presume I should have started my period)but as I say no period. I've had a quantative blood test for pregnancy done this week at the DR's and it came back negative. I'm so worried that the D&C has scarred my uterus or something and that I'll never be able to have anymore children. My DR has said that this is highly unlikely and that I should try not to get stressed but its a vicious circle, especially as I have an extremly stressful job too (child protection social worker). Its 11 weeks since the D&C and still no period, is this normal or is there a chance that something went wrong with the D&C and this is preventing my period. (I should mention, I've had constant sore boobs, sickness, moodiness, tearfullness etc since the miscarriage - PMT symptoms?)
I had spotting for 6 weeks after my DNC ( i was 10 wks)after the bleeding stopped it took 6 weeks to get a period then they were CRAZY.  I even went for a second opinion.  They told me it can take a while especially if your HCG levels are not back to normal mine were not ( i think there was pregnancy tissue left behind because at 6 weeks post DNC I had major clotting) but again DR and 2nd opinion said I  was fine.  Hang in there it can take quite some time to get back to normal.....yet I am worried about the same thing did Dr screw something up since we are STILL NOT PG.  OUr time will come
****************SUPER STICKY BABY DUST************
Hello-

I have had two d&c's. The first dr did not get all the tissue. So I had to have another one b/c my hgc level's did not drop therefore no period. Have they checked your levels? I am still spotting from the second d&c.. this past week had the clotting. YIKES. that was scary.. I have never exp anything like this before in my life. I got preg in Sept then had the mc in Nov and still not had any closure yet.
Hi, I had same problems when I had my D&C in Oct05.  I went to dr when I still not get my period in 11th week after the D&C.  I was on medication for 42 days and waited for another 7 days then only I had my first period from my D&C.  In short I had waited for about 4 months to see my first AF after the D&C.

I would suggest you to consult your gynea and express your worries and concern to her.  She would be able to help.  Hope you have your AF soon.
Hi there, I did not have a D&C with my m/c in Nov.06, however I am still waiting on my period as well. I only had 1 period since on Jan.2 and I am definatley not pregnant either. I keep having period symptoms and pregnancy symptoms too. I did 2 HCG blood tests - both BFN. It's vicious waitng for your period to come it is awful, I know. Hang in there we will be okay.....
my doctor told me to wait 12 weeks and if i had no af he would give me provera. my m/c was on Dec. 5, 2006. i finally got my af right after the 9 week mark.

good luck to you
Thanks girls for your feedback - your comments made me feel like I'm not going crazy and that I'm not alone.

Kerry

PS what is provera?
Hi, I had a M then a D&C 19th Dec and its now 16th March with nothing No AF...????. My Ob did not do any HcG level testing or ultrasound but did check after 10 weeks for Asherman's Syndrome and its not that so I'm going to go to another Ob. I can't take this much longer and am going crazy I really need answers and sick of people saying try to relax.... Good luck to you all.
I had a dnc in April 2007 and it's now late Aug., still nothing.  Dr. put me on prometrium, nothing, then on birth control, should have started, still nothing.  I have had horrible cramps, etc.  No levels were checked or anything.  I am going to a specialist on 9/10.  They have mentioned Asherman's to me, perhaps tissue is blocking something.  I just hope something is not seriously wrong.  Has anyone gone this long with a period after a miscarriage, then DNC?
Yes, I am having the same problem.  I had a D and C June 19th and still no af.  I went to see an RE Aug. 13th and he tested my HCG levels and they were 18.  I had them tested again on the 21st they were 25.4, and on the 24th they were 26.  Have you ahd an HCG test done?  MY OB never checked my levels after the D and C so I didn't realize I still had HCG in my system until he tested them.  The RE is considering giving me another D and C b/c he thinks I may have leftover tissue....it's been 10 weeks for me today...and I'm still waiting...
Your story sounds so much like my own :( I found out on June 20th that I had m/c 2 1/2 weeks prior and had a D&C on June 21st. They estimated me at 9 weeks and 3 days when the baby passed away. It has now been over 9 weeks since the D&C and no period. I have only taken home tests and they look completely negative-  do you think I should have a blood test done to check my HCG levels? I can't think abut going thru that again, the worst feeling in the world was when I woke up and knew my baby was no longer inside me. I think it would really help me to get your opinion and talk a little more. I feel like you understand because our dates are so similar. I am 30 and getting maried next week-I want a baby more than anything.
I'm so sorry for your loss...and I know exactly how you feel.  I was 7 weeks when I had my m/c.  I went in to the doctor and she said I was m/c so I had a D and C the next day...it was so hard to do but I was ready for it to be over so I could start trying again.

Yes, I would definately get a HCG test!  My OB never did one on me even when I was pregnant...so that was mistake one for her.  After the D and C she never did an HCG test either.  Your levels are supposed to drop pretty fast and I didn't have my first HCG test until the 13th of August.  I had decided to see an RE b/c my friend was recommending him just b/c of my m/c and I thought he would monitor me and help me get my period back.  So he did my HCG which was 18.  He tested it a week later he thought it would go down and it went up to 25.4...then he thought maybe I was pregnant so he tested it again and it was 26...he tested it on Sat. it was 23.  So it's staying about hte same.  I just went back this morning and he can see that I have a little bit of leftover tissue...just a very tiny piece.  He wants to do a water sono tomorrow and if that's the only piece he sees he is going to remove it with out another D and C.  

I also took HPT and they come back negative.  I've taken 3 OPK's and I had one come back positive that I was ovulating but according to him you don't even ovulate until you reach zero for your HCG.  Believe me they have done everything for me...every test...it is very stressful but at this point whatever he has to do I want him to do...I don't want to scare you but he is also consulting a GYN oncologist about me b/c he wants to make sure what I have isn't cancerous...it's VERY rare so they don't think so...but I would get my HCG levels checked so you can at least start to try again...good luck to you and if you want to talk I am here for you...
it's so amazing that some people have such a difficult time, and others just don't.    I was at 11 weeks when I went in for my 3rd ultrasound and that's when they found no heart beat.  I was completely devasted.  I then had the d&C, April 23.  Then no period.  Dr. put me on prometrium to try to get me to start, nothing.  Then on birth control for a month.  Still nothing.  Now, dr. wants me to have ultrasound to check my lining.  Suggests could be either stenotic cervix or possibly Asherman's syndrome.  I have scheduled an appt. with a different RE specialist.  I don't feel like my current dr. is following me closely enough.    My dr never check my hcg levels after the D&C at any time.  I am going to call and ask why this was not done.  I have heard that Asherman's is directly caused by the D&C, anyone over heard of this?   I
I've never heard of Asherman's.  I went to see my RE today and tomorrow I'm going for a water sono.  He thought he saw a little tissue leftover and thinks he can get it with out D and C.  Also my HCG went down to 12...YEAH!!!  My lining was at 5mm today on the 13th it was 9mm.  He was happy that it was thinner b/c he said he could see more!!  Good luck to you keep us posted!!
I was diagnosed with severe Asherman's Syndrome after having two D&Cs for a missed miscarriage, and your story sounds so much like mine.   After having a doctor that didn't really seem to give a rip that I knew something was wrong, I found a doctor who performed a surgical hysteroscopy and removed the scar tissue I had back in April.  I just finished almost four months of estrogen therapy and had an ultrasound this past week that shows some improvement, which is good news.  If this is what you have, I would highly recommend getting the best care possible...........I have joined an online support group at www.ashermans.org.  There are many women there who dealing with this issue, some of whom have gone on to have successful pregnancies.  I hope you don't have this, but if you do, do the research and find a doctor who actually sees Asherman's patients more than once a year.  It sounds like you are making the right move seeing the RE.  There is a list of questions on the Asherman's website that you can take with you to your appointment which is also helpful.  
I went to a former ob/gyn to discuss what has happened.  I had an ultrasound and my linint was a .5 and he suggests that I take high doses of estrogen/progestrone for 2 months.  After 1 month I should start and then I am suppose to go back for another ultrasound to determine if the lining has thickened.  In the meantime, I am keeping my other appt. with the RE.  How did they diagnose you with severe Asherman's?  Thanks for the info.
I was diagnosed through an operative hysteroscopy.  When my doctor did the ultrasound at my first visit with her, she saw a mass in the uterus and a very irregular-looking lining.  She thought I had a fibroid and surgery was scheduled to remove it.  Once she got in there, she realized she was seeing severe scarring throughout the uterus and not a fibroid.  She was able to cut it away (a very delicate procedure) and along with the estrogen I also had a balloon catheter in for a week to help prevent re-scarring.  One thing the RE might do is order an HSG, which is one of the only ways, besides hysteroscopy, to properly diagnose Asherman's.  A regular ultrasound only shows irregularities, not what the irregularities actually are.  With a lining of .5, I would be seeking answers now to find out if there is scarring there.  From what I understand and have been through these past few months, all the hormones in the world won't help is scar tissue is in the way.  I'm not trying to scare you, but I really think you need to be an advocate for yourself and find out what is going on so you can get whatever is going on treated.  I used to be pretty quiet about things like this, but not any more!!!!!  Please let me know if you have any other questions.  I'm not an expert, but I know where to send you for answers.  
thanks for the info.  NO, there's no room for shyness about this.  He mentioned doing the HSG after 1 month.  Additionally, I am going on Monday to see another RE.  I would definitely like to know what is going on.  The ob/gyn come highly recommended and has also been a friend of the family for quite some time.  Is the HSG the procedure where they shoot the dye?  Additionally, he mentioned putting an IUD in if there was scarring to break the scarring up?  
The HSG is the one with the dye.......I haven't had one yet, but most women have said that it isn't bad, maybe just a little cramping and to take ibuprofen before hand.  As far as the IUD goes, I don't have an answer for you.  I would seem to me that the IUD might irritate the lining and make things worse, but I truly don't know.  Removing scar tissue is a very delicate procedure usually best done by cutting it away with mircroscissors so as not to disturb the remaining lining.  Did the ob/gyn recommend the IUD?  I would see what the RE says before doing anything.......they say that the first treatment of this is the most important.  If I knew then what I know now, I would have approached all of this very differently, but I am hopeful at this point.  I hope the RE has an explanation for you and that you can make your decision on what to do after you have all of the details.  Let me know how the appointment goes.  Good luck!
Thanks for writing back and the advice! I made an appointment to get my levels checked and two days before I was scheduled to go in- I FINALLY got my period. I am glad to hear that your levels are finally dropping instead of rising. Did they do your watersono? Were they able to get the last of the tissue out without anything too invasive?I hope so. You should be prepared though... the first period has been horrendous. I couldn't wait to start but it has been heavy and painful- so here's wishing things will be better for you. After all, it is a small price to pay for a baby! Please let me know how things are going for you. Thanks again and you will be in my thoughts!
Hello. I had a D and C on the 25th March 2008 after a miscarriage. Its now the 12th June and still no period, should I worried about his. really need some advice, im only 19.
I found out I was pregnant in March of 2008 and 8 weeks later on April 13th   we found out that our baby hadn’t grown in two weeks and it didn’t have a heart beat.  I had a D & C on April 18th.  
The pain is still here but it is getting more tolerable.  From the first day you find out your pregnant you know that miscarriage is a possibility but it isn't something you can really prepare yourself  for.  The baby, through only 8 weeks along was a real person to my husband and I and still is. When I found out that I was pregnant I felt an instant bond to the tiny life growing inside of me.  To lose it was very painful.  I know I have grown because of this experience.  I may never be able to hold that baby in my arms, but I will always hold it in my heart. It is a  part of me. Because of it life is more fragile, more precious.
I want to get pregnant as soon as possible.  My doctor told me that it is safest if we wait for about two months after the D & C to start trying again so that my uterus lining has time to rebuild.  We hit the two month mark yesterday so we are trying again.  But in that  two months since the D & C,  I have not had a period yet.  Does any one know if that is normal.  I really thought it would come back sooner.  I am terrified that something might be wrong with my body.  Any suggestions???

I was pregnant in early March. I had a missed abortion according to the radiologist. I waited several weeks to see if the sac would go away on its own. It did not. So my OB advised I have a D&C. I hardly bleed after the D&N. I expected to bleed worse than my normal period. I didn't get a period after that. My OBGYN put me on meds to bring my period on. I eventually got a very light pink discharge and cramps but it only lasted a day. I also had some dry brownish blood over a month later but not healthy looking blood? I'm concerned. I want a baby very much! I'm scared of cancer or anything else that could damage my fertility? Anybody have any answers cause I'm not getting many from my doctor. She is doing a biopsy next week of my uterus but in the mean time I'm left wondering??? Maybe I'm over reacting but I used to be very normal and bleed a lot.
I NEED ANSWERS!!!  I REALLY NEED HELP!!! SOMEONE!!  I CANT STOP CRYING, I HAD A MISCARRIAGE ON SEPT 2009.  I STILL CRY ABOUT IT.  THE PROBLEM IS THAT SINCE THEN, I HAVEN'T HAD MY PERIOD.  I GET CRAMPS.  BUT NO BLEEDING.  AFTER A MONTH OF MY MISCARRIAGE  I HAD CRAMPS AND BLEEDING FOR FEW DAYS. ONLY SPOTTING FOR 2 DAYS.  THAT WAS IT!! SINCE THEN I HAVENT GET MY PERIOD.  ITS BEEN NOW 5 MONTHS AND NOTHING.  ONLY CRAMPING.  I DONT UNDERSTAND MUCH ABOUT MISCARRIAGE OR WHATS SUPPOSED TO BE HAPPENING..... ITS CONFUSING FOR ME.  TODAY I WOKE UP WITH SO MUCH CRAMPING AND NO BLEEDING AT ALL!  ALL I DO IS CRY AND CRY.  IM SO SCARE.  ITS BEEN 5 MONTHS GOING TO MY 6 MONTH NOT HAVING PERIOD.  ITS THIS NORMAL? I TOOK PREGNACY TEST SO MANY TIMES.....ALL NEGATIVES CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME AN ADVICE OR ANSWER?  PLS EMAIL ME AT ***@****
My husband and I were pregnant last fall and had a miscarriage around Christmas of 09.  The doctor said that if I do not miscarry naturally within 4 days to have a D&C.  I had one right before New Years Day.  One month passes and I have no period but this incredible pain shooting in my abdomen, vagina and anus...it lasted for three days.  It is like a knife when I try to go to the bathroom but it is not a UTC.  3 months have gone by and I still do not have a period (which I find odd) but I do get these sharp pains around the time that I should get my period, so sharp that it brings me to my knees and I can't sleep at night.  My family doctor and OBGYN are not much of help, they keep telling me to call back next month if I get the pains and do not get my period.  I've been doing my own research and wonder if the D&C caused this.  I'm wondering if maybe I have Asherman's Syndrome but don't know who to go to in order to find out.  I too have been on the pill for a long time.  I've had an ultrasound and they do not see any issues.  I took 18 blood test and they told me I have Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) which  is a rare genetic defect that can lead to complications in pregnancy.and I should not be on the pill.  But this doesn't explain the pain that I get every month and why I am not getting my period.  I hope I get my period soon and the D&C didn't cause any damage to me getting pregnant again.  I really don't want to deal with these cramps every month, I wish there were an answer or a specialist I can see.  My family doctor and OBGYN have not recommended anyone?  If anyone can offer a suggestion of who I should see, please do.  I also wish a doctor was on this forum...so frustrated right now
Im so sorry to hear of your loss. I too had a mc. Mine was on Mother's day. I was 7.5 weeks. I am still waiting on period as well. It is driving me nuts! Any luck yet?
I too recently had a miscarriage after trying for a baby for such a long time. They say that bad things happen on Fri 13th and this was so for me. I didn't have to have a D&C but I had an ultrasound to check that it was all clear. Since then, I have not had a period and I have been experiencing period like cramps for over a week. Every morning I wake up thinking that I shoould have my period due to the cramps I had the previous day but there is nothing. The miscarriage was heartbreaking enough and now that I feel that I can finally move on and start trying again, I can't because I haven't even had a period yet. It is just so frustrating. It is now day 46 since my miscarriage and from this post I have read that 46 days is nothing compared to some people who have waited months but I can't stand waiting any longer. I want to move on because I desperately want to be a mother. I am so sick to death of people telling me that we need to relax and get away. So I was just wondering if you had any luck yet to a) get your period, and b) fall pregnant?
Well.. Don't really no where to start. I had a miscarriage 15 weeks ago and I still haven't had a period, not even any spotting and I'm beginning to get abit worried because I have done about 5 pregnancy tests throughout this time and they have all been nagative so I then went to the doctors and they said not to worry about this. But I am getting rather worried now though :( x
hi evry1...i had d&c in feb n now its may...still no periods...although i get a lot of cramps sumtimes....as if im abt 2 get my periods but no outcome...my dr. has put me on a 25 day course whch shud get over by may 20th..n acc. to him..in another 10 days (after d course is over) i shud get my periods..n incase i dont...then he will go 4 hysteroscopy to chk 4 the problem..any suggestions to relieve me??
Hi There,
I had the exactly simptoms that Hanna35 did, ( I don't know if she still is active in this forum) after my d&c, i had terribles cramps, in my abdominal, in my ano, especially when I had to go to the bathroom, i had excruciating pain, but that was  after two weeks of my D&C, and then again at four weeks of it. what dissapoints me the more is that my OB/GYN, seems not to care about it, last week she prescribed me some progesterone, to normalize my period, but still nothing. I am already 8 weeks waiting for it.
I had a d&c on April 4, baby was 8 to 10 weeks, and I really don't know what happened. We wanted so badly to have our first child, so we were  so devastaded, and still I am, but also we want to move on, and try again, but period don't come, and it is even more frustrating, have to deal loosing our first child, and on top of that, no having my period back yet. I know, I should relax, but there's no one day that I can stop thinking about my baby, and therefore focus in my missing period, WHY??? i mean, i had friends that they had no problem at all having kids. But I have to be strong for me and for my husband, I don't want to ruin my home.
Dear,

I was miscarriage & just got D&C for some weeks. I stop bleeding after 5 days of D&C. After that I'm ok for 1 week. A week later, I have serious painful in my lower right abdomen. In the follow-up appointment after, my OB didn't check anything (pelvic, uterus,...) or do ultrasound. I told him about my pain & he said it couldn't be because of the D&C. This is the worst doctor in my life, he didn't help anything. I now still suffering pain in my lower right abdomen EVERY DAY (especially after eating, I can't stand, I can't eat much). My OB had never check my HCG levels (just took my blood in the 1st time I came to his office).

When I read your sharing, you said you have incredible pain shooting in my abdomen, vagina and anus. I'm in the same this situation too, especially my pain in my lower right abdomen is more than 1.5 weeks (every time I eat, my lower right abdomen get hurt so much). My OB didn't help me anything, he just predicted it may be b/c of constipation & asked me to buy some medicine to kill constipation. After I drink it everyday, it didn't help.
So, may you please tell me how you deal with " incredible pain shooting in my abdomen, vagina and anus"? Is it gone naturally the (how long) or ....?

Thanks so much for your help,

Thanks so much for your sharing.
i had my first miscarriage in june of 2012 and it was over in july of 2012, the doctor said I was fine to start again and this was normal. It is January 11 2013 and I still have not had a period, Is this normal? I was on depo for my periods from the age 16 till I was 28, could this have something to do with it?