Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
No period for 2+ years

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

No period for 2+ years

I am almost 21 years old and have not had a period in two years. I started menses at age 16, had a normal cycle for 1 year, bleed almost non-stop (became anemic) for a year, had normal cycles for about a year after being put Loestrin bc pills then they stopped altogether. I am in good health now, have 20% body fat (which my health teacher said is good), excercise 4-6 days a week and have no family history of fertility problems. Was bulimic for 2 years, but have been at a healthy weight for a year now and still no period. I get a lot of hot flashes and find myself crying for no reason more and more frequently. Also, my breasts feel sore all the time and I have awful migranes (migraines). People assume I am pregnant or going through menopause, but I have not been sexually active since Feb. 2010 and I am only 21! Please, any advice would be welcome
This is definitely something you need to have checked out by a doctor.  The only thing I can think of is your body hasn't fully recovered from your bulimia.  You are definitely not ovulating but I don't understand why you don't have a bleeding at all.  The other thing is maybe the working out and body fat percentage.  I know a lot of athletes (especially gymnasts) don't usually get a period.  Those are the only things I can think of.
Working out alot / too much and being too thin will cause you to not ovulate and will also cause no period or irregular periods.

So ease up on your exercising, gain some weight and see if that helps. Have you been to a GYN? Maybe they can give some meds to get your period going.....

Please go to the Doctor and get a full physical. Then go to the Gyn. I am 10 yrs older than you and have been having difficulty getting pregnant as I havent had my period since stopping the Pill. You need to get this checked out now so that you can fix any possible problem while you are still healthy! Trust me, you don't want to let this go. I'm not trying to scare you, just give you support and advice :-)