FERTILITY / INFERTILITY / IVF
COMMUNITY
Norethindrone 5MG
by Tori28, Oct 06, 2010
I went to see a OB/GYN late September and my husband and I told her that we have been trying to get pregnant for years. We told her of the pregnancy that I had in 2003 that ended in a miscarriage when I got about 5 months along. We told her about my hypothyroidism and that I take 75mcg of Levothyroxin once a day and that some midwives diagnosed me with (((maybe))) having PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrom), which when they sent me to the hospital to get a transvaginal ultrasound done, they didn't find any cysts or fibroids or anything, everything looked supposedly normal. We also told the OB/GYN that I have irregular periods and that I have a period around every two to three months. Well, she also visibly noticed that I am WAY overweight and of course suggested that I lose weight as I knew that she would suggest for me to do. The OB/GYN said that she would help my husband and I to get pregnant and try to figure out what caused me to miscarriage my first pregancy 7 years ago. She put me on Folic Acid 1 MG twice daily, suggested that I take vitamins also told me to take Maximum D3 once daily for 5 days because she noticed on her computer on a previous doctor that I had seen that ((the other doctor's records)) showed that I am defecit in vitamin D. As I said ealier, the OB/GYN said that she was going to help us get pregant and when she prescribed the Folic Acid and told me to start taking a multi vitamin, it seemed that she was really going to try to help us get pregnant. Well, she also prescibed a hormone pill called Norethindrone 5MG. She said that after 3 months of taking the Norethindrone that I should start having a regular period every month. I take it for the first 12 days of each new month and that's it. But I acutally started it on the 3rd of October because my husband and I had questions about the medication. Well, I read on the pamplet that came with my medicine that suggested that the hormone pill that I would be taking was a "birth control pill" that helps with with things such as; to help to restore menstrual periods and other different things. Well, my husband was concerned with it being a "birth control pill" because we are and have been trying to get pregnant and not trying to prevent it. So naturally, we were confused and frustrated. So my husband calls the OB/GYN to ask her about it. She told my husband that it wasn't a birth control pill, that this will help me to start having normal periods and that will help me shed the lining of my uterus, make a healthy "bed" for my eggs to mature in and make a healthier uterus by properly shedding my lining each month, so I will have a fresh uterus lining instead of an old lining, and that it would also help me get pregnant easier because the shedding of the lining of my uterus and ensuring that I will have a good uterus lining, while also making the "bed" for my eggs to mature in, to also be healthy, so my eggs can develop properly and fully and be well nourished and of good quality eggs.

Today when I went online to see how long after taking this medicine will I get pregnant, I found that Norethindrone 5MG is in fact a "Birth Control". Well, I naturally got frustrated and upset and I thought I should call the pharmacy where I got my medicine filled at, to tell me whether or not this medication is a birth control. When I called the pharmacy and told them the name of the medication, they told me that it was a "birth control." So, that naturally upset me even more and has confused me. I remember something that my OB/GYN whispered to me in the lobby that my uterus would have to be flushed out and I'm not real sure if she was talking about the hormone pill Norethindrone that would be doing that, which from what I have read and heard that this medicication will do exactly that and also keep me from getting pregant. I don't understand why she prescibed me this, if she knew that this would keep me from getting pregnant. But, I also know that the OB/GYN said that this would help make my uterus lining better because I can shed it every month and have a fresh lining and that it would promote a healthy "bedding" for my eggs to mature in and be well nourished and become good quality eggs. She told my husband for me to just listen to her and I would be fine. But thing is, I'm a little confused. I know this medication will held give me a new utering lining every month and promote and build a healthy bedding for my eggs and all, but how am I going to get pregnant being on this medication when it helps prevent pregnancy? If it would be at all possible, I would like to hear from a OB/GYN on my question. How am I supposed to get pregant while taking this medicine? I'm confused. This medication has 11 refills and my Folic Acid has only 5 refills. Please help!! I am so confused and frustrated!
Member Comments (13)
by Ashelen, Oct 06, 2010
Well here's the thing about norethindrone...,it's actually a synthetic progestrone. A lot of doctors (OB's or fertility doctors) will have women who are having trouble conceiving take this particular hormone for a few months to regular their cycle and stimulate ovulation.

It is ALSO used in a different form for birth control. I take Norethindrone .35mg (Micronor) as a birth control, but I have to take it every day and if I do not take it within the same 3 hours EVERY DAY it is not considered effective.

What norethindrone does when NOT used as a birth control, is introduce regular, level doses of progestrone that can help your body begin to regulate on it's own once you have stopped the medicine and you will be releasing eggs with HOPEFULLY more regularity :). so if you're taking the norethindrone for only a certain number of days every month it will NOT keep you from getting pregnant and should help. but yes, it is also used as birth control when taken daily :).
by Tori28, Oct 06, 2010
Thanks for your response to my question and taking the time to answer. That makes alot of sense, and I understand now. Thanks so very much for clearing the confusion up for me. I no am no longer frustrated or confused now and oh how I feel that sweet relief rush into my mind. Thanks again and God bless you!! :)
by Ashelen, Oct 06, 2010
no problem sweetie I hope you get your positive soon!! Before you know it you'll be posting on here that you're days away from your due date...good luck :)
by Tori28, Oct 06, 2010
Thanks!
by Tori28, Oct 15, 2010
My OB/GYN said it would take three months for me to start having a period every month. I wonder how long it will take to get pregnant taking it only 12 days out of each month? Last night was my 12th day, so I have to wait until Novemeber 3rd to start taking it again for another 12 days, then December 3rd and so on. I can't wait to get pregnant and I hope it doesn't take too long to get pregnant on this medication. I am way overweight and the OB/GYN does want me to lose weight which I will lose some then it comes right back, so the losing weight part has been extremely hard for me. But, I can't help but be excited and keeping my fingers crossed that I will hopefully get pregant soon. I wonder how long it will take for me to get pregnant?
by philly123, Mar 13, 2011
I was put on Norethindrone for irregular periods. My husband and I are ready to start trying, but it's hard when ovulation is an unknown. Basically I have a reverse period, ligh bleeding for  2.5 weeks and no period for 1 week. I was put on Norethindrone for 30 days to regulate my cycle. I had dark, light to medium bleeding  for the entire 30 days. When I finished the medication the bleeding stopped.
I had sex with my husband right after I stopped taking the medication for about two weeks. Then my light bleeding started again. I was so frustrated.

Then I noticed adominal cramping, breast tenderness, nausea, gas and bloating. Something was up, I thought it may be side effects from the norethindrone. The thought of pregnancy did not cross my mind, I didn't think it was possible. My periods are still not regular and I was bleeding lightly.

Symptoms continued and my breasts were (and still are) so swollen that I decided to take a pregnancy test. The bleeding had stopped for a few days. I took one test and the result was positive. I didn't believe it so I bought two other brands and tested repeately. All FOUR tests were positive. That was yesterday, today I woke up and have had light bleeding all day.

What is going on with me? Do you think I'm really pregnant, did I have a miscarriage or is this bleeding normal? I know I need to go to the doctor, but it's not an emergency and I will not be seen for a week or so.

by Ashelen, Mar 13, 2011
Well I would say that since you got a positive test, you are most likely pregnant. bleeding in early pregnancy CAN be bad, but it can also be normal, depending on what's happening in there. If you can get in to your doctor, do it, even if it takes a week. If you ARE miscarrying, sadly there is very little they would be able to do aside from possibly giving you progestrone if that's a problem for you; you can always ask your doctor that you're concerned and see if they can fit you in on a cancellation list.

All you can do is call your doctor FIRST THING monday morning and get in ASAP...tell them you're scared, see if they can get you in sooner...but if not, take a deep breath and just wait. Pregnancy is a huge waiting game, even when you AREN'T lightly bleeding, and it's always nerve-wracking. Hang in there, and feel free to continue to post and ask questions, this board is wonderful for helping you understand what's going on with your body. Your best bet is to scroll up near the top of the forum board, and there is a large green button that says "post a question"....if you post your own topic you will get more responses.

I hope to hear some good news from you soon; keep me updated on what happens once you've seen the doctor. If you're truly scared you can always go to the hospital but early in pregnancy there's very little they can do to determine if everything is going well, however they can get an initial "beta quant" test (which means they read the level of hCG in your blood by quantity and give you an initial number) and then when you see your doctor in a week, or whenever, they can run another beta and see if your numbers have gone up or down and that can be a good indication on what's happening with the pregnancy.

best of luck!

by gem979, Jan 22, 2013
hi i hav dub disfunctional urine bleeding i was put on northistrone 10mg 3 times a day the gyn has said to me if i want children to do it now as iv been bleeding for ten years very heavy i havnt got a clue when my actual period is iv been doin ovulation test for months but keep coming up negative i have one child but would like another as gyn said nxt step is hystorectomy in only 27 but mum had it done at 30 an nan as it was so bad tablets only seem to work for abit then stop i need to get pregnant quick help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by TruandTrust77, Mar 12, 2013
I'm on nor qd. 35mg and stop taking it at end of jan2013 I want to be pregnant. My last cycle was 2/8/2013 and I've been having symptoms of ovulation, however 3/12/2013 I'm having a lite flow dark color blood. What would you think? My cycle were never UN normal until taking this birth control