Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Ovidrel - to take or not to take

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Ovidrel - to take or not to take

My u/s today showed me that i have 4 mature eggs, which is good!.  The bad news - my ER group doesn't like it when there are too many eggs--they prefer their patients to only have single pregnancies, not multiples...to allow a multiple pregnancy would mess with their ratings or whatever (all ridiculous!).   SO - i was told by my doctor that i have two options. One - "cancel" the remainder of this month's treatments (aka, no ovidrel shot and no IC 'til the next cycle).  Or two - give myself the ovidrel shot, hope for less than four fertilized eggs, and " we'll talk about reductions later on" (in case I did get pregnant w/ four fertilized eggs).

My question to you all - what do you think would happen if I just don't take the ovidrel shot?   I have PCOS, so my thought was that I'm really unpredictable/inconsistent when I ovulate anyways--so maybe if I just didn't take the shot, there's a better chance that I'd get pregnant, but just maybe not with 4 babies??   I'm torn... we've been trying for 3 years... but four just sounds so overwhelming!
My RE is OK with 3 or 4 max, but I know many women on here trigger with even more than that. By the way, we also had the "would you be OK with a reduction if needed" talk. It's totally up to you if you want to do this or not...but if it was me, I'd probably take the chance! Good luck!
I had the exact same thing happen to me this cycle.  My RE gave me my injection.  He said the probablility of having twins is 10-20% and more than that is less than 1%.  i went for it and got a bfp, but my first beta was only 30.  I am waiting to hear what my second beta is.  Good luck and I would go for it.
Thanks ladies...   i decided to take the plunge and give myself the ovidrel... even if the outcome is four (or more) babies -- nothing's worse than 3 years of trying with no success...  So i choose to trust God to give me no more than I can handle, and we'll see how it goes.

I appreciate your comments, and pray your own journeys are short and relatively stress-free!
Good luck! Earlier this week I had a similar dilemma - 5 eggs all maturing at the same rate. I thought that was perfect until my RE told me he would not do an IUI if there were more than 4 - and he was borderline on 4. He asked me if me and my DH would be able to go through with selective reduction if we got pg with 3+. This is a very hard concept for me to consider when we've trying for many months, always have good numbers, and yet I have not gotten pg even once. He decreased the dosage, and then I skipped the injections a couple of nights, and he gave me half a trigger shot so that yesterday he estimated 2 would definitely release, 1 had an 80% chance of releasing, and 2 had a 30% chance of releasing. It lead to many interesting discussions with my RE and my DH. I was more concerned with missing this opportunity than being faced with deciding what I would do if "too many" fertilized. Good luck and SSBD!

I say take the chance too, I had IVF the back end of 2006 & in total produced 7 eggs which they took out but when they looked closer only 5 were okay to use as the other 2 were hollow and empty, then when they put the 4 eggs together with the sperm in the incubator over night  we could only use 2 as the other 2 had to much DNA which meant 2 sperms had gone into each egg and they can not use when that happens.

Not sure if any help

Tiggy :)
my  first cycle was on 50mg clomid, i ovulated  but could not get pg, 2nd cycle was 50 mg clomid but did not ovulate,now on my 3rd cycle of provera (progesterone for withdrawal bleeding ) followed by 100 mg clomid with an ovidrel on CD12/13 after doing an USG and deciding to give ovidrel  or not  based on my follicle size. keeping myself crossed how much it helps.me and my DH were trying since a year to concieve (conceive)  but my periods were irregular,i had undergone variety of  treatments  to regularise my cycles and finally im on clomid.Is somebody like me out there? has anybody sucess with clomid and ovidrel ? please let me know.
hello I'm on the Provera and 100mg clomid and the trigger shot my hubby and I had been trying for two years to get pregnant with me being on this med has anyone had any luck with there first try on the shot