Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Ovulation while taking Clomid????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Ovulation while taking Clomid????

Hi, Just wanting to know what to do if you ovulate while taking Clomid.
I began spotting a few days ago which gradually got a little heavier, and took it to be a very light period.
I took my first Clomid tablet yesterday and was about to take my second this morning but now my temp is very high (from 97.2 to 97.9) and a urine ovulation test came up positive. Also the bleeding has stopped completely. I'm really unsure whether I finish this course of Clomid (3 more tablets) or stop. What happens if I get pregnant but still have a couple Clomid tablets to take. Would it hurt?

This is my third month of Clomid (50mg). The first worked perfectly, the second it didn't look like I actually ovulated at all - I just began to bleed, which is why I started the third round.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I've only taken clomid once, but it did raise my temperatures a little, so I think that's why your temperature is a bit higher today. It can also give you a false LH surge on an OPK, so doctors usually advice NOT to use OPKs until a couple of days after you take your last pill.

You didn't say what cycle day you are, but I doubt very much that you're ovulating already, since you're only two pills into your clomid cycle.

I would just continue taking them. Good luck!
I agree with Heather5, OPK's can give you a false positive if you are taking clomid.  You cannot use OPK's till 2 days after your last clomid pill.  I looked at my BBT chart and my temps were higher while taking clomid.  I am not sure if that's an accident or a trend.  Clomid never affected my AF though.
I hope this cycle is a success for you!!!
Dear NayQ - one of the ways that clomid works is to increase a hormone called LH, which is actually the hormone that is detected by ovulation prediction testing. Thus it is not a good idea to do ovulation prediction while on clomid since "false positives" are common. Best to start urine ovulation prediction testing 4 days after the last clomid pill. Since things are a bit confusing, I would recommend the following: 1) complete the clomid as planned 2) get blood testing for a hormone called progesterone and for a pregnancy test to see if you have already ovulated or conceived 3) get another progesterone test on day 21 of your period to see if the 50 mg dose is working to make you ovulate. If you are not ovulating on the 50 mg dose, you may need to increase the dose. I am assuming that your periods are irregular or absent without clomid? Clomid remains in your system for quite some time, so early pregnancies are probably exposed to clomid whenever someone takes it - therefore I do not think there is great risk to taking the clomid now even if you think you might be pregnant; a home pregnancy test while waiting for the blood test can confirm one way or the other. Good luck!
I have never seen one of the MDs post on a regular forum question.  Dr. Shayne, if I lived near you, I would SO be your patient....

Nice job!