Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Painful ovulation on Clomid- what's going on???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Anyone who's been on Clomid, please please reply!

I'm on round 3 of 50 mg Clomid and got a positive OPK this morning. At noon, I got a terrible cramping pain in my side. I mean, I've had ovulation pain before, but this was really bad! It seems to be hanging around for a few hours (I've taken Pamprin and it seems to be slowly decreasing how intense it is).

What could this be? Should I see a doctor or wait it out? I feel fine except for the pain, no other signs of the hyperstimulation syndrome. Anybody had this happen on Clomid? What was it?
Hi,,, ! I just posted this same question earlier today. I am on my 4th round of clomid and man this is unlike an other time i've taken it...  I felt the pain starting on Sun and thought maybe I should do a OPK and sure enough it was +++ so I knew it was from ovulation.  I ovulated on Mon (per my BBT) and today is Wed and I am still having pains.  I called DH this morning telling him I dont know about these pains., I never experienced this before any other time.  
Oh wow, MissusG, that's a long time to be having pain. What mg of Clomid are you on? My doc said the risk for s/t bad happening increases with the mg. I was in pain all through last night and this morning it's much better, though not totally gone. I guess I ovulated and was done with it. But it was pretty scary and I wonder if maybe we had cysts burst or something? Are you having any other symptoms (nausea, etc.) of OHSS? If so, maybe you should check in with your doc since it's lasting a while.
I'm about to start Clomid. You two are scaring me!
hey atleast the clomid is work for you guys i have done 2 cycles on 100mgs and nothing, i mean follicle are there but they don't kick over, but i had bad ovulation pain when i did ovulate on clomid
hmaine -
I am only on 50mg of clomid...  I have read alot about other people having pain for up to 2wks! yikes!!!  It's not as bad as it was earlier this week.  but when i do certain things i still can kinda feel it.  I'm thinking maybe a cyst.

magnolia55-
DOnt be scared.  I took this 3 other times and this is the 1st time I'm having any pain..   I have talked to alot of ppl who experienced this same thing.. At least I know I ovulated! :)
Just hang in there. and please share with is your experience of clomid.!
hmaine -
other then hot flashes, i have no other symptoms or problems with taking the clomid! I hope it works this time!  I started using progesterone cream also this cycle since I seem to spot b4 AF starts.  I am also taking b6 (along w/ prenatal vits). Since the b6 doesnt seem to be helping with the spotting I started the cream this cycle!  Fingers and toes crossed!!!
Baby Dust to us alll!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I found one of the worst side effects was the ovulation pain. Clomid has a tendency to cause cysts in the ovary you ovulate out of. Once you ovulate the hormone in the clomid is still in your body and that hormone continues to "feed" into the cyst casuing the pain to last a few days after O.

I was on Clomid 150mg and vowed never to take it again. The side effects were just too terrible.   I wish u all the best.
magnolia- totally don't mean to scare you! this was the first side effect i've had, besides cramping being more noticeable pre-AF. And the pain is totally gone for me now, thankfully, it just seemed to be connected to ovulation. hopefully if a similar thing happens to you, you'll at least know you're not the only one and what to expect.

MissezG- Hope it works for both of us this cycle! Fingers crossed. Did your doc give you the progesterone cream? I spot before my cycle but my gyn said, in the blood test, that my progesterone looks normal, so maybe that's why I haven't gone that route? Man, I'll try anything. It's funny the things you're willing to take to just finally get pregnant.

misslollipop- baby dust to you. So you used to ovulate on Clomid but stopped? i am not totally sure it's working b/c I have never done follicle testing, etc. Is the next step for you Femara? I've heard of successes with that.

Quinn's mama- hope your pregnancy is continuing well. Did you get preggo when on clomid?

take care all!
No, I got pregnant naturally while taking a 2 month break from clomid.   Go figure! :)
hmaine-
no my doc didnt prescribe it for me... I did alot of research about my lpd and since the b6 wasnt working i too will try anything!  im not to happy with my docs.  my obgyn just comes in and does what shes there to do and is out of the room within 3 mins.  the fertility specialist i saw was more pushy towards us doing artifical insemination... thats all he talked about...  we are 25.  i was pregnant at the end of 2007 and have been TTC since,  I know I can get pregnant and I kno DH can get me pregnant. I went to try and figure out whats wrong with my cycle not pay thousands of dollars right away... I mean if I get into my 30's and still nothing then yes we will address those options then, but not now, help me get my cycle on track. u kno what i mean? so i am looking for a good down to earth doc that will TALK to me..  he did perform U/S's, HSG, confirmed I do ovulate and gave DH s/a, all came back good.  He perscribed me clomid and here we are!...  still spotted b4 af (after 3 rounds of clomid) so thats why im trying to cream this cycle.  i hope this works!! we want a baby sooo bad and have been trying so hard! I dont want to lose hope!
I used clomid to get pregnant with my son. But this time I started on 50mgs I o'ed the first cycle and then stopped so my doc upped it to 100mgs and nothing, so today is the day to find out what's next
Hey there misslollipop,

Did u find anything out?
I just starting taking clomid this month and had terrible pains just like you for two days! The pain was super low and I figured it had to be the medicine. It went away though. I got the pains the day of the ++ OPK and the next day. I don't even know if I ovulated b/c my temps are so goofy this month. I heard the clomid can mess up your temps, is that correct? Anyway, I think you will be okay. I'm not even being monitored by my Dr. so I am moving on to an RE next month. Good luck!
This is my first month on Clomid. (100mg CD3-7)  It said in the paperwork that came along with the presription that it can cause all sorts of lovely things including ovarian pain and extreme mittelschmerz or O pains.  I guess that would make sense.  

I have some discomfort in my right side, and actually am now developing a little bit of pain on the left side was well.  I still have one dose left to take tonight.  If I have discomfort already, I'm REALLY not looking forward to when ovulation takes place.  I get some O pains as it is - not sure I'm gonna like it when I release multiple eggs.  Youch!

No other side effects though, thank heavens.  I'm so glad that I came across this post.  Nice to know that i'm normal! (more or less)

Gigi
keep us posted on how things go as you approach O time...  
hi angelpak, i'm not sure about the temps, as I'm not charting those, but it certainly would make sense that clomid would mess with them.

GiGi- will be keeping my fingers crossed for you that the O pains aren't bad. Just remember that, if they are, they go away!

good luck, misslollipop, with the next step.

I'm in the wait now. Lately I try not to look at a calendar so i don't fixate on when AF might come. But it's tough on Clomid, because my body speaks up a lot more about AF coming that it used to while on it.
How are things looking for you?
Here is a link to some information on Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome.  Hope it helps!

http://www.dukehealth.org/HealthLibrary/CareGuides/fertility/diagnoses/ovarian_hyperstimulation_syndrome

Thanks hmaine for the info on the temps. I'm going to get all these questions answered by my RE when I go next month. I'm so glad that I'm not alone in this fertility battle. I was so upset about all this before but realize this happens to so many other women! I agree. Trying to avoid a calendar is nearly impossible and can be so stressful.
Thanks, GiGi.

Angelpak, let us know what your RE says. I'm always curious about the effects of this drug.

AF is due Thursday for me (I looked at the baby-making calendar- was trying SO hard not to, but we were planning a trip and it couldn't be avoided!) so it's "divert your attention" time for me.

How do you all keep from obsessing about the coming of AF?
I had a really hard time trying not to obsess.  In fact, I was a pregnancy test junkie for quite a while.  I would buy $10 worth of Dollar Store HPT's and start testing around 7dpo.  I would drive myself bonkers!

This past month we were away on vacation and I did not bring any HPT's with us.  I didnt really give it a second thought.  AF showed up on our 3rd day of vacation, which was not so hot.  However, I think that month of not doing a zillion HPTs was good for me.  I think I will be ok this month just waiting it out. (thats what I say now anyways... my story may be different once I hit 10dpo.)

I have started going to the gym again, and I am hoping that having something to fill up my spare time after work might help with the obsession too.  I think that being so focused on has actually started to work against me.  TTC is soooo stressful - especially when it has been dragged out for a number of years.   Thank heavens for medhelp!  It is so nice to know there are others out there who are going through exactly the same thing!

g
For those of you who have experienced painful ovulation with Clomid, what are your thoughts on exercising while there is this pain?  Is it dangerous to do, say, an aerobics class while you have  a few eggs set to release?

I know this may sound dumb, but I really dont know.

g
Gigi, not dumb! (or else i ask my doc really dumb questions...) I was going rafting while on Clomid and asked my doc if this could be bad (all that bouncing) and he said not to worry about it. Now, I was only on 50 mg, dunno if that makes a difference.

Exercise has been really helpful to me in keeping stress levels down. There's a lot of research showing that exercise is super helpful with mood/stress. I wish I could fit in more than I do (I sneak in 20 minutes at lunch). I'm also trying to schedule things to look forward to around the end of the 2 week wait so one good thing doesn't happen, another will. Even if it's just letting myself drink wine.

Are you all still drinking periodically or cutting it out entirely while trying?

Today I started spotting. On day 12, which is normal for me, the Clomid never helped with my spotting. Big bummer. Today I can be officially called infertile as I've been trying exactly a year (I got help 3 months early because my doc thought my cycles looked really messed up). Sad anniversary. And it means the Clomid (this dose anyway) didn't work. Next step is more testing. I hope better things for you ladies this cycle!
Hi Ladies - took 100mg clomid from CD3-7.  Today is CD 15.  

I woke up today feeling horrible.  I cant say that what i'm experiencing is ovarian pain, because it is not localized.  The U/S showed that I will likely O from both sides this month, so maybe that's why I cant quite pinpoint the pain.  I feel sortof like I am having menstrual cramps, but the pain stretches around into my back as well.  I guess I am just having some pretty unpleasant general abdominal discomfort from my navel down.  Even my intestines hurt!

I'm not sure if this is O pain or if I am sick.  I had done OPKs and never did get a positive although yesterday at around 5 the opk test line was darker than it had been the day before.  When i tested last night, the test line had gotten considerably lighter than it had been earlier in the day.  I'm thinking maybe I missed the LH surge.  I guess if I had the surge early yesterday before I took the OPK then it would make sense that I am Oing today.
LOL - I clicked "post comment" before I was done.

Anyhow i have been getting a couple of sharp pains too every once in a while.  Strange.  

I guess I will just have some tylenol and take it easy.

Thank heavens its Friday!

Gigi
Hi Gigi- hope the pains went away. I'd keep testing with the OPK just in case b/c it sure sounds like O pains!
i remember on clomid i just felt like i had huge christmas ornaments hanging from me. like that charlie brown christmas tree with one puny branch bending from the weight of a christmas ball. for me more just - bloated/feeling full and heavy all the time.

also my doc says no strenuous abdominal exercise right before you O'd cause if the are enlarged from my meds you might pop them before its the right time. he said having sex pops them too.

Thanks for the info Usuk, I wish my doc had told me that!  I will definitley keep that in mind for next month (if necessary).  

g
I am on 100 mg of clomes. its my 3 rd cycle. i ovulated on 15th ofbthis mth july. today is tuesday. i have bin having the most sever pains ever. Overnight i vomited constantly. I hve bin urinating ever 5 mins...no joke.  I have burning pain in my pelvic area. It felt like i was giving birth. It comes with severe backpain. I felt water ooze out of my vagina a few times.  the pain eased up a little but i am extremely weak.  i feel like i hve bin through hell and back.  Sex is very painful. I think after am done getting preg am gonna remove my ovaries. I hve bin suffering for yrs with menstrual. That by itself is torture.  Now clomeds I can't take it anymore.  If you are going to try clomeds which i think is a great drug just be prepared for the suffering.  It will happen. Goodluck.
I'm wondering if its working for me just a lil cramping no big ones like yall are explaining and dont think I want to feel it either just want to know is it working I'm on 50mg and its my first so still crossing my fingers its still going to work my last pill was the 13th of July and so just praying in the next week I will
am having thesame prob please help