Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Pineapple - Good or Bad During Pregnancy and TTC

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

So some of us have been talking about this in another thread and I thought I would throw the question out to everyone.  I have heard that pineapple or pineapple juice can be good for implantation.  Supposedly it helps the little bean stick.  

I have also read though that pineapple can contribute to miscarriage.  There is an enzyme or something that causes cervical contractions that has been used to induce miscarriage.  I don't know what to believe and would like any input from all of you.  Let us know what you know.

Thanks!
I have heard and read that you eat a peice of pinnapple core everyday for 5 days starting on 1dpo..and after that you should avoid pinapple as it can cause miscarriage..
A friend who had a successful IVF with twins was told by her doc to eat two slices of FRESH pineapple every day. She did. No problems. Healthy pregnancy. I asked my doc when I started IVF this month just to be sure. He said it was safe. It's probably best to avoid it if you're worried about it though, or ask your doctor.
The first thing that comes to my mind is that pineapple has a high glycemic index, meaning it is not recommended for people with insulin issues, such as women with PCOS. I have PCOS and have been sticking to low glycemic index foods for the past couple of years, especially when I was doing my IVF (which worked!). Also, the success rate of embryo implantation largely depends on the quality of embryos, rather than what you eat. If you like it, eat it, but I wouldn't put much faith in all those "tales." Best wishes :)
For my first IVF cycle I did not take the pineapple, that one failed.  For my FET I took one baby asprin a day and pineapple, cut in 5 large chunks, had one piece a day (including the middle) until it was gone this time the transfer  worked!  I hear of many people not being able to get pregnant and this worked for them!

Good luck!
I ate fresh pineapple each morning starting day of retrieval. Just got BFP today. Beta was super high. Hopefully twins.  

And along the lines of schroederheather, have another friend who had a failed IVF. Added pineapple and acupuncture to second and had a successful pregnancy.

Good luck!
this is our fourth IUI and the only one that I have eaten pineapple from 2dpo until 8dpo.  So I will know next week if it helped.
If you google "Pineapple Fertility Diet" you will get some info on it.. :o)
Thank you all so much for your responses.  This really helped a lot.  It seems that pineapple has helped some people so that is awesome.
It was reccommended to me by friends here and my accupunturist to have pineapple core during implantation period. I conceived in my second FET, but it ended up chemical pregnancy and during my next FET had lots of the core and accupuncture treatments had conceived twins.
Hi there.

It's the pineapple core that contains something called bromelain, that thins the blood and helps with implantation.

One of the ladies on here pestered me during my second IUI to give the pineapple core a try since it worked for her.  I figured "Why not?" and guess what... It worked!  I'm 9 weeks pregnant today!

Really, i would suggest giving the pineapple core a try.  What do you have to lose?  I just fed the rest of the pineapple to DH!  He loved it!  

Best of luck!

g