Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Precautions after embryo transfer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Precautions after embryo transfer

I've been through this many times and on try number 8 I finally got lucky with my beautiful little girl. She's about to turn 3 and despite my age (41) and my husband's (61) and various other concerns, I desperately want to give my little girl a brother or sister. So we decided to do this just one more time and we're throwing everything we can at this try (such as... meds I was on with that last try that gave me my little girl. Including aspirin, clexane, prednisolone).
My biggest concern is that all those earlier tries, seeing as I didn't have a little one, I was able to take it very easy in the days after transfer and barely lifted a finger, let alone a 15kg child!! I'm worried and it's making me wonder just how important it is to have bed rest (and for how long) / not carry heavy weights / take it easy... etc...
I know that different doctors have different opinions. I've been told everything from a week of solid bed rest to simply taking it easy for a couple of days. But I'd like to hear others' thoughts.
Guess I'm just starting to get weird on myself as transfer is tomorrow!!! Guess I'll be bringing out the charm and setting up shrines to every deity under the sun next!
Many many thanks
I've been told by my clinic to only be up to use the restroom and eat the first full day after transfer. No heavy lifting and no excercising for a week.  Like you said every clinic has their own beliefs. I would try and do the very best you can to follow their guidelines. It has to be tough with a little one that needs picking up. Can someone help you out for a few days? Personally my 2nd ivf I stayed in bed for most of the 2ww and got a BFP. My 3rd ivf I only stayed in bed a couple of days and then took it easy but was up and about and got a BFP. They both ended in mc and I'm trying again in the next couple days and I think when it come to transfer I will do the couple days of bed rest again and light activities to follow. Since your daughter is 3 yrs old she should be able to walk and hopefully you shouldn't have to carry her much. You talked about increasing your odds. Have you thought of doing acupuncture Pre and post transfer? Studies have shown that it does improve the odds for success. I have noticed a huge difference the last two tries with acupuncture from an acupuncturist specializing in fertility. It's expensive but well worth it in my opinion. I wouldn't do another IVF cycle without it actually. I go weekly before during and after my IVFs. I also take supplements and am prescribed prednisone and Lovenox to minimize risks of a mc. I also eat pineapple core post transfer which is supposed to help implantation.  Well good luck to you! I hope your transfer goes smoothly tomorrow. Keep us posted.
Good luck to you !
Ginger
Firstly good luck on your transfer tomorrow.  I just had mine yesterday.  This is my second transfer.  The first I did absolutely nothing.  My daughter was six at the time and she was good to keep busy by herself.  The result was a BFP and now my son is three.

Now of course I don't have the luxury of doing absolutely nothing, but I will take it easy as much as I possibly can. Today I am tired and I want to honor by body by listening to it, so I will rest as much as I can considering I have a 9 year old and a 3 year old.

I agree with Ginger is you can find somebody to mind her for a bit that gives you the rest that you need.  I like the idea of the acupuncture as well.

Good luck and relax as best as you can.
Thanks ladies! Helps to hear others' thoughts.
I laid on the couch 3days past transfer, watched movies :). I drank tons and tons of water too.  Although some believe you can't do anything wrong during the 2ww...I didn't want any what if's.

Goog luck on your transfer!! Sending you a world of baby dust!!!!