Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Prednisone during IVF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Prednisone during IVF

Hi all, I heard some clinics use steroids like prednisone during IVF transfer. Is there anyone who used it in their IVF and had success? If so what was the dosege of prednisone and how long did you take it?
Good question! I had a failed IVF cycle this month..
They told me that they would put me on steroids for this next transfer...
I hope it works..
I "think" its supposed to help ensure that your body dosent attack the embryo when its transferred..
They did use steroids with my IVF cycle. I believe it started 2 days before transfer and continued for 3 days after transfer. I remember it had something to do with keeping my body from rejecting the embryo. I can not remember the dose--but it did work.
What was the dosage of the steroid med you took? and was it prednisone? thanks
Prednisone is used so the body doesn't reject the embryo. It suppresses down the immune system. It is given for 10 days or 1 week at the dosage fo 10mg. I think is the lowest dosage. My RE give it to me and i think he wants to keep me on it during pregnancy to cause of my history of m/c.
For those that were given prednisone, did you test positive for antibodies or did the dr just give it to you as a precaution? I actually have tested positive for ANA antibodies and thyroid antibodies. they aren't too high but they are still there and when my RE saw my results he said hmmm. when i asked him about it he said, these antibodies could cause miscarriage. He never mentioned prednisone but i am going to ask him about it. It would make me feel better. I have been trying for #2 for almost 2 years (after having 1 successful pregnancy where i got pregnant very easily) and have not gotten pregnant once. I keep thinking it has to do with my antibodies attacking the egg before its even fertilized.... just a thought i had not sure how valid it is tho.
I am not sure about your condition. I am already on prednisone for joint pain so I was not sure whether to stop it or continue till the beta. So when i figured they give prednisone in some IVF protocols I thought it must be safe. So wanted to know the best dosage. Yah you may ask your RE on the same.
was it a success?
A prescription of steroids came with my medication pack, so i guess i will use them for transfer.

BD
I asked my dr about the steroids and he said there is no proof that it works but some drs do use it. He said that if i felt like i wanted to take it, he would prescribe it. I said yes, so he is going to give me 10mg for me to start with the stimulation meds. he said it takes a few days to actually work that is why i am starting it when i start the other meds. The only downside is i could gain weight from it but honestly, i do not care because i have antibodies so if this will help suppress them, then that is what i want to do.
I started taking mine last night....
i am on 16 mg a day... i'm taking it 3 days before the transfer and the day of the transfer.. so 4 days total...
I hope this works!!!!!
What time of day did they tell you take it at?
Jenny,

Did you stay on Prednisone as you mentioned dr. wanted you to?  Did it help?  Any issues?  Were you a bit dizzy from it?