Pregnancy after Endometrial Ablation
I am looking for more info on pregnancy after an endometrial ablation.  I had an ablation in May 2002.  January 2003 I was not feeling well and went to the family doctor.  She thought it may be an ectopic pregnancy since I was told I was sterile.  I had an ultrasound to discover it was an interuterine pregnancy and I was about 9 weeks.  I am now 17 weeks and for the past month trying to decide to terminate or continue.  I am having a very hard time finding any info on any one with this happening to them and the risks to me or my unborn child.  I have seen several doctors and none of them have ever heard of this happening and 2 have suggested termination.  I have an appointment with a high risk specialist on Thursday (02/27/03).  Please tell me where I can find more info or who to contact.  Thanks.
thank you for the advise we will consider all our options before making a final decision.  Im not sure how thick the lining is, last time i saw dr he said all looks good will be seeing him tomorrow for another checkup, still having normal periods even since the ablation and  have been taking meds to help thicken the lining so hopfully that will help.  will keep you updated.
Is there actually medication out there to help thinken the lining? Good luck. If you are healthy and having your periods and your Dr.s say you should be fine, then go for it I guess.
I went to the Dr. today and everything looks wonderful! The baby is just the right size and the heart beat is great. The Dr. says I shouldn't have to have a c-section unless something goes wrong later on and that I don't have to be on bed rest if I don't want to. Whatever is more confertible for me since I am in pain. She said my pain might get worse. She thinks I have a lot of scartissue from the surgerys and that I should take fiber everyday to help keep my colan working right. So ladies........ things are looking up. I hope you are all doing well!

p.s. She couldn't check my uterine lining. I guess you can't get it measured if you are already pregnant. Your uterise has to be closed and they measure from one side to the other.
hi, i am happy that things are going well for you and your baby. what concerns me is that 4 days ago you said that this is dangerous to you and your baby and may cause death and that rarly does a woman carry full term. my question is...what did the doctor say to you yesterday to completely change your whole outlook on this pregagnancy? chello380
I went to the Periantoligest yesterday. So she was able to get a better look at everything. She wasn't able to see my placenta though.... so I could still have problems... but it is to early to tell right now. I will find out in another 10 weeks. The baby looked wonderful though. Like I said before a lot of Dr.s really don't know what's going on and it's kinda frustrating. There is no way you can know every little thing from an ultrasound, but right now I can hope. There isn't a lot of positive info. out there about this... and almost everything I've read says to terminate the baby and that you have to have a c-section and that's not true. I haven't had a c-section before and I had very good deliveries.... if there is no problem with the placenta then there is no reason to have a c-section. What can happen is  when a Dr. messes up on the uterine ablation he can puncture your uterese all the way through and then you have a scar on the outside of it. The placents has to connect onto the scar in order for there to be danger. I have a lot of scar tissue from my surgery, but it is on the inside... and  there is a layer in the placents that protects everything inside. So If you have this scar going all the way throuhg then this section isn't protected and then you have the problems.....This is when you have a very high chance of bleeding... and death.  I hope all that made sence.  I wanted to find someplace I could talk to other woman going through the same thing as me because it's hard to really know what to believe! I am sorry if I have caused some confusion or stress... I am still learning.
To update everyone-I had another ob apt. last week. I am about 8 weeks along & had a 2nd brief ultra sound. The tec reported again the baby has attached "where it is supposed to be." The heart beat was 175 bpm (nice & strong). It's amazing & I am still in shock!
The dr. said I should see a specialist which they advise anyone over 35 who is pregnant or who had an ablation. She also told me to see her in a month. If I make it another month I will be in my 2nd trimester. Every pregnancy is different & I'm not sure if it has to do with stress, being older (still everyone assures me I am young at 39) or the ablation, but I am very tired, a little dizzy sometimes, queasy most of the time & quite nauseous the rest of the time with occasional dry heaves.:( Other than that I don't have much pain like I read some women do. I just want to feel better so I eat what ever I can & I have gained 8 or 9 pounds. I weigh now what I usually weighed at 6 months! My pre-pregnancy weight was 130-135 lbs even after each of my 4 natural births & 2 miscarriages (that both included a D&C). My weight has been pretty stable at 140 lbs. & I never weighed more than 165 lbs when I was pregnant. Even though I am careful & eat pretty healthy I am nervous about gaining too much weight putting more of a burden on my uterus. Please share any info or knowledge anyone may have on this. Thanx
Sounds like you are doing well. I am so glad. I agree, every pregnancy is diffrent. I'm very courious to see how we all turn out. Best wishes!
I went to the doctor today and had my lining measured,it is .7cm. The doctor said that it actually looked very good and he saw one very small area with scar tissue. He gave me a prescription for Clomid to take on the 3rd day of my next cycle through the 7th day. I go back on January 3, 2008. He is planning on reviewing my file and doing more research over the holidays and then possible scheduling a laproscopy and hyperscopy. One is where he actually goes in and looks at my uterus and the other is where he actually takes away the scar tissue if any. And if everything looks okay then he will also go ahead and do a tubal revearsal at that time.
This is my first time on this site and I am so happy that I have found it. I live in Canada and find that the resources here are not very good. I had an ablation done in 2004, I have not had a period since. When I had my surgery I was married and my husband was fixed. I never anticipated that my marriage would fail but it did. I was lucky enough to meet the man of my dreams and we got married last year. I did not know that an ablation would make me sterile. I was never told that at the time of my surgery. I started researching it when my husband and I decided that we wanted to have a baby and was really hurt with the small amount of info that I did receive. I went to my family doctor and she told me that I could get pregnant but it was a long shot,,,basically she said cross your fingers and hope. I am trying to get as much information as I can so I know what options are available. My main question is for those who have gotten pregnant, did you have your period after your ablation??
Hi Sherri, welcome.
I did have my period after my ablation... honestly it didn't change mych at all. I am not 11 weeks pregnant.

good luck
I have had a full 6-7 day period every month since my ablation. How likely do you think this is normal and does anyone know if this makes it easier to consive
I had a tubal in 1998 at the age of 18 and the ablation in 2004 after very heavy long periods.
I'm not a doctor by no means, but from the research that I have done and my own experience, if you are still having a period then you do have a lining, if the ablation didn't help at all then you may very well have a better chance at getting pregnant and carrying to term then most women with an ablation. You should ask your ob to measure your lining (vaginal ultrasound). Why did you have a tubal at such a young age. Where I live doctors will not perform tubals unless you are at least 25 years of age have been married or have a child of each sex. Good Luck!
Thanks for your reply and congratulations on your pregnancy. I definately have not gotten my hopes up about getting pregnant because most pregnancy stories I have read, they had periods after their ablation. I have read that over time the lining can grow back. Lately I have found that I am having way more pms symptoms and more cramping. Who knows? Anyways, keep me posted on your pregnancy, my thoughts and best wishes are with you.
There is some things that I've found through research and other women that you can take to try and rebuild your lining. If you will read the post above from tigelman, she mentions viagra vaginally and there is something called estrace which is a form of estrogen. I hope this helps and good luck to you!
I had a tubal because I had a daughter at 15 a son at 17 and a daughter at 18. The ablation was done due to the fact I was having heavier than normal periods that were lasting sometimes 2 plus weeks. A couple of months ago I found out I was pregnant. Here comes #4. While I am so thrilled I am puzzled. I had a tubal to prevent pregnacy. Glad it didn't work because I am older now and with a wonderful man after a horrible divorce and I am so blessed to be able to have children with him. But when the doc did the ablation I was told that children would be out of the question. Well here I am almost 18 weeks along and really wondering How I got here.? I was starting to think that maybe the doc just billed ins. and really didn't do the procedure. After I give birth I am curious to see what my linning will measure. I guess that will answer the things I'm not quite understanding.
by the way I am in NC!!
Oh my Goodness! may luck be with you sweetie! I wonder what the doc did as well. If you continued having periods then that is normal because some women don't take to the ablation as well as others, but with the ablation and the tubal it sounds like fate has brought you here. You situation is definately a unique one. How far along are you? Have you had any complications? Are you seeing the same OB? I will keep you and your family in prayers. Please keep us all updated on your pregnancy. I am curious to know what your lining is afterwards also.
Thanks for the info, I am also very hesitant on trying anything because I really don't want to get my hopes up. Once I found out last year that I could not have any children I was very hurt and mad. I had just gotten married to a man 10 yrs younger than me and I really hoped we would have a family. He has no children of his own. When he thought we could have a family, he was super excited. When I found out we couldn't he was great, he said it was fine too because he was happy with things the way it was. I know he says that because he really loves me but it really hurts. I am so happy that I found this site because I have not told him how much it is hurting me and it is really helpful to vent to people who understand. Thanks all for listening.
Thanks for sharing, I'm always here if you just want to vent. I to was very discouraged because even though I have a period it is very light. You should definately go and have the ob measure your lining to see exactly where you are and then maybe overtime you can take some of the things I listed to help rebuild. You can also have a laproscopy done, this is where they go in and remove the scar tissue from the ablation. Don't give up yet. I have been searching for months and have just recently came up with alot of positive information. Continue to do your research and definately go to an ob and have your lining measured first. Good Luck!!