Pregnancy after Endometrial Ablation
I am looking for more info on pregnancy after an endometrial ablation.  I had an ablation in May 2002.  January 2003 I was not feeling well and went to the family doctor.  She thought it may be an ectopic pregnancy since I was told I was sterile.  I had an ultrasound to discover it was an interuterine pregnancy and I was about 9 weeks.  I am now 17 weeks and for the past month trying to decide to terminate or continue.  I am having a very hard time finding any info on any one with this happening to them and the risks to me or my unborn child.  I have seen several doctors and none of them have ever heard of this happening and 2 have suggested termination.  I have an appointment with a high risk specialist on Thursday (02/27/03).  Please tell me where I can find more info or who to contact.  Thanks.
Hi.. I had the same surgerys as you... tubes tied and ablation! I'm almost 12 weeks pregnant, and I to wonder what the Dr. did to me. I have had health issues since my surgery that was 8 months ago. (2 months after giving birth to my 3rd child) Anyway... I wish you the best and if you ever want to talk let me know. I have been looking for someone else who has had BOTH surgerys to kind of compare to. Best wishes!
To answer your ? - B-4 the ablation I had a regular period 5-6 days. Afterwards I spotted & or had a very lite flow (sometimes very thin & just pink). It only lasted on average 2 days. I chose ablation as opposed to a tubal ligation because I was informed by women who had their tubes tied that it caused worse cramping & bleeding after they had it done. At the time of my procedure in 2002 I was told I would basically b sterile and even though I would still ovulate if I got pregnant it would hav nothing 2 attach 2, but in the rare chance that a fertilized ovum did attach that it could b life threatening for the baby & mother. My microscopic periods remained pretty much the same over the past 5 years not growing any longer so being pregnant was quite a shock 2 us. I often told the father what I was told by the dr who did the operation & we were careful during the time I thought I could become PG. Obviously not careful enough & now I am going on 10 weeks.    
I had an abalation in 1999, and I just found out that I am pregnant. The doctors told me that I am probably micarring. I have been spotting for a week. I never knew I was pregnant. It was a total shock. I have 3 kids 16,12 and 12.
For those of you who have had a tubal AND ablation, has anyone found a DR that specializes in this? I too had my tubes tied years ago. Had ablation a year and half ago. My periods are getting closer to pre-ablation state every month. My life situation has changed and wonder if there is a MD that has untied tubes after ablations. I am around the St,Louis area. Have been looking for a specialist to untie tubes and be able to help me concieve again.
Any help?
I'm not sure if there are any Dr.s that undo the tube tying. I was sent to a Periantoligest to make sure everything was going alright with my pregnancy. You might want to talk to your regular Dr. and see what he/she says.

Good Luck
My post-ablation child (see post 10/25/07) is now a very healthy 6 year old boy. However, his first few months of life were painful and traumatic. He is VERY fortunate to have only one on-going condition from extreme prematurity (from the long list of potentials). His Retinopathy was caused by the oxygen (can result in blindness). He just tested as legally vision impaired. From childhood, I planned a large family. I adore children! I was blessed to have this child and would have loved to give him a little brother BUT after seeing what he went through I wouldn't intentionally fall pregnant. During our 3 months in the NICU (neo-natal intensive care) I saw a great deal of heartache in families not as fortunate. PLEASE get as much testing and advice before making this decision.

Is there a study, or statistics, on pregnancy following ablation? My basic stats:
         Ablation 1997 - live birth (male) at 25 wks gestation - Sept 2001 - (QLD, Australia)
I too had ablation done before I finally had my uterus out.  Understand that I doubt you will find a doc who will help you find a way to get pregnant.  I am not trying to be mean, but do you understand that you can die if you do end up getting pregnant.  Also, as mum005 stated, it is very unlikely that you will carry it to full term.
The is a reason most docs will not give a woman an ablation unless she has had a tubal done.  My doc did because my husband was fixed so she knew I wasn't going to get pregnant.
I want you to realize that getting pregnant could in fact kill you, and it shouldn't be taken lightly at all.  Please do some research on the internet cause there are alot of horibal stories on there.  
One other thing I would also like to add is ablations in the past two years are done alot better then they were before.  If you had the novasure procedure done, I would not even consider it.  
I had my ablation done 1 year ago, and 4 months after that I had my uterus removed...... It took the doc 3 hours to remove my uterus because it fell into pieces when she was getting it out.  That is from the ablation...... Your uterus is not meant to carry children anymore.
You probably also signed something stating that you have no plans on getting pregnant, so if a doc sees that they will not want to get involved.
Again I am not trying to be mean at all, but it is very very dangerous for you and the baby.

mum005
I am so happy to hear that your son made it.  
Just want to say that I too had a tubal ligation in 1995 after the birth of my 3rd child.  Also had an endometrial ablation in 2006 which was recommended to me because I was 34 at the time and a hysterectomy would put me in instant menopause and the doctor felt the ablation would by me atleast 10 years.  Now, what i was told was that I would be unable to conceive a child (which to the doctor didnt really mean anything since I already had my tubes tied).  Nothing was ever mentioned to me about conitnuing birth control, because of the obvious and the doctor never discussed the risk of pregnancy if this were to occur... they pretty much push for this advertising the light or almost no periods.  In the beginning after the procedure, I had 1 day spotting with pms symptoms.  Now my cycle will last two days with menstrual cramps, headaches, bloating... all of that remains the same, but my bleeding is light compared to my month long periods before the procedure.  I have to be honest I have wondered what it would be like to conceive again, get my tubal reversed... but the after reading the risks, it is very scary.  I wish everyone the best and dont want to say anything negative or scare anyone... God chooses to bless whom he chooses.  And one more thing, since most doctors are NOT informing everyone with the knowledge they should have, we probably shouldnt sound so mean when addressing the dangers... There are doctors out there that are recommending these types of procedures for the money and dont care what your outcome is.  God Bless and good luck to all!
oh i wasn't trying to be mean at all, and i even stated that before hand, and in the middle of my post, and at the end.
the thing is women have died from getting pregnant after having the ablation done, and I think telling a woman that is a possiblity is not being mean.  
I would rather be told by someone of the dangers and risks rather then be sugar coated about them.  
There has been births after ablations, but if you read stuff about it on the internet, you become high risk, and often the child is born prematurlly.
I think you should tell people of the negative stuff, I mean she came on here asking about if it is possible or not, so I answered her question.
I am thinking the doc didn't discuss with you about becoming pregnant because you had already had your tubes tied.
My doc discussed it with me because she wanted me to be fully aware of what could happen, and the only reason she gave me the procedure without having my tubes tied was because my husband had been fixed and also she made me sign something stating that I knew that I couldn't carry anymore children.
My doctor had a case where a woman got pregnant, and she died.
It states on novasures site the same risks that I explained.
there is another thread on medhelp regarding someone asking the same question.  So I am posting something someone found on the internet and posted it.........................

FROM OB-GYN.NET:

"Ablation does NOT provide reliable birth control, since ovulation still takes place as before, and the uterine lining may be receptive to a pregnancy. Second, pregnancy in general should not be elected after an ablation; in fact, it can be dangerous. The procedure can cause changes in the uterus that make pregnancy potentially hazardous to the mother, including possible complications such as uterine rupture and placenta accreta (a placenta that becomes "stuck" to the uterus and cannot be removed, causing potentially life-threatening bleeding). Because of the potential problems with future pregnancies, it is generally recommended that reliable birth control, including male or female sterilization, be considered in women who undergo ablations."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a paragraph from the book, A Gynecologist's Second Opinion: The Questions and Answers You Need to Take Charge of Your Health by William H. Parker, M.D., with Rachel L. Parker, Contributions by Ingrid A. Rodi, M.D. and Amy E. Rosenman, M.D:

"Once the lining cells of the uterus are destroyed by the procedure, there is no place for a developing fetus to attach within the uterus. If some cells remain following an ablation, there exists the rare possibility of pregnancy occuring. If pregnancy were to occur, termination would most likely be recommended as doctors are concerned that without adequate cells lining the inside of the uterus, the placenta would grow directly into the muscle wall of the uterus and take hold like the roots of a tree. As a result, the placenta would not be able to separate at the time of delivery, and hemorrhage could occur. This procedure is not a form of birth control and another method of birth control must still be used to avoid pregnancy."

I can see both sides to this. If you have had an ablation and then you want to get pregnant again... and then the side where you do become pregnant after an ablation when you wheren't planning it.
The fact is that this is scary! I might not be on bed rest anymore, but I still worry and hurt every day. I mean, really.. who wants to have a baby that is born way to early on purpose?? That's just dumb.  I don't believe any Dr. ANY know what is happening in our bodies after an ablation! No matter how many ultrasounds you may get you can't see everything that is going on... everything the baby may not be getting. If you have had an ablation and want to get pregnant then you should  NOT have had the ablation!!
There are cases where woman want to get pregnant after... they get their lineing checked and the uterine wall is think enough to carry a baby again. BUT... All the trauma your uterus has been throuhg you still can't tell how strong it is. So what if it's thick? There will be scar tissue! Did you know that scar tissue can cause sevier pain! There are so many things to think about. And Death is  one of them!
There are VERY VERy few stories with a good out come of all of this. I hope mine can be one of them. But I would have never went through these surgerys to try and get pregnant again afterword. Ladies, please thing of your life and how much it means to you and the ones around you. You might think, it's not going to be so bad, a little pain, it's only 9 months.... but there is so much to it then that and you don't know how it's going to affect you untill it's to late.
Get mad all you want about what I say. I don't care. You should be glad people are willing to tell you the truth!
Wow girl you said it great!!!!!!!
I just know for a fact what kind of shape a uterus is in after the ablation because 3.5 to 4 months after I had my ablation they just removed my uterus.......... It literally fell into pieces when they were trying to get it out.  There is no way my uterus could support a child for 9 months.
I totally agree wtih you that yeah, sometimes you don't purposly get pregnant, and you know then maybe it was ment to be and I hope all goes well, but I personally don't feel you should set out to get pregnant just as you also said.
Heck I sometimes miss having a baby around too, because my girls are 3 and 5, but I also know that I made the choice to be finished, and I can't ever go back on that.
I mean it's not just the medical issues the baby can face, but a mother can die from bleeding to death, and it has happened.  
I truly feel sorry for females that wish they wouldn't have had the ablation, but they did.

So how many months are you now?
Good luck and I hope you have a well pregnancy.
hi Laura...

Thanks. I am glad some one can agree with me. I am about 12 1/2 weeks along. I feel pretty good for the most part, but then there are those very very painful days. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I can't believe your uterus fell apart.. I mean, I believe it, but that is scary! Hopefully they got everything out and you can heal correctly. I wish you the best.

I feel like my pregnancy was ment to be. I had a feeling (before the surgery) that I was going to have another baby, but I didn't want to because I am very stressed with the children I already have. I want to be a wonderful mother and a good friend to my children. Being pregnant wasn't a huge shock... because I had felt it would happen. I remember when I went in to have the ablation done.... the nurses all where very concerned. I was very emotional and crying. I'm not usually like that in front of people. They asked we why I was getting the surgery done and I told them I felt like I needed to. They asked me why I was so upset.... I told them... We as woman are given this devine gift to have children.. to create them, to carry them and feel them grow. It is a wonderful gift. I felt like I was taking that away from myself. I was "destroying my womb"!! And you know what....... It really does destroy your womb. Look what happned to you. It's so sad.
I hope I can make it through this. I hope my baby.. and my poor body can make it through this.
Wow. I'm having the darndest time trying to find any information on pregnancy after ablation.  It's soo good to know that I'm not alone...

A little over a year ago, I had the Nova Sure ablation done, and I didn't have a SINGLE period after that. I was so sure I was just...safe...

Here I am, a year later, and I am 9 weeks along with the most miraculous UTERINE pregnancy. My regular OB acts like I have nothing to be worried about, but I'm FREAKING OUT!!!

I thought I was done with having kids, but I'm still young (26) and, like I told my doctor, now that the opportunity has presented itself (for another one), I'm thrilled. I just feel like I'm holding my breath and waiting for the ball to drop. I'm so scared that something will happen...
Yep, I remember my hubby thought for sure they had to open my stomach up when I was in surgery because it was taking twice as long.  See they did it the new way with three little holes.  But the problem it was taking so long was as the doctor said my uterus was just crumbling up in little pieces.
That's why I know for a fact that ablations do work, and they do make your uterus fragil.
I was even having medium periods after my ablation, so they didn't get all my lining.  My lining was twice as thick as a normal person, and that is why I had the ablation done.

I would really like to stay in touch with you and hear about your pregnancy.  
I know its tuff sometimes but I am sure that you and your baby will be A okay.  The thing you have on your side is a doc that knows the complications, and can watch you closely.
Remember to rest as much as possible........... I know I know easier said then done when you have kids at home.  But seriously, the more relaxed you can get the longer little miss or little mr. can stay inside where he or she belongs.

I remember the day I went into surgery to have the ablation done, it felt like a part of my life was over.... which it was, I was no longer going to carry children, and it bothered me.  I cried too, and it upset me.  But I was also happy that I wouldn't have such terrible periods..

To this day I still wonder if I should've waited and had another baby, but then I hear one crying......... then I come to my senses.....  lol
I wouldn't say you have nothing to worry about............ tell your doc you have done some checking into it, and there are problems that are happening.  
I hope you have a safe pregnancy and can carry to full term also.  
From what I understand any woman that gets pregnant after ablation, usually is considered a high risk pregnancy by doctors.
Thank you so much for talking to me and helping me feel better. This isn't the best time of year to be calm. LOL And, yes, haveing 3 kids.. 4 1/2, 2 1/2 and 10 months... is really hard. It's like I told my Dr. ( who is freaking awesome ) I have no idea what's really going on with my body right now. So the only thing I can do is pray and pray and pray that everything turns out for the best. I am glad I am still 'kinda' young..28. But since my surgery I haven't been myself. I can't do much of what I did before. I miss going for walks with my kids and running with them. Now it's such a big deal! I just want to have a healthy baby and get my life back. I'm going to make my husband get snipped.... I can't make myself go through all this again. I am hopeing to keep my uterus. I don't want to deal with early menapause...then I'll have to start waxing my mustache. LOL Anyway... Here is my e-mail if you want to keep in touch. Christel_Lanier***@****.
okay, so that didn't work!

Christel_Lanier  @  hotmail  .com

What kind of a Dr. are you going to? An OB/GYN or just a regular family Dr.? You really should be seen by a Periantoligest to get a better look at how your pregnancy is progressing. I wish you the best of luck!!