Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Pregnancy after PID

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Pregnancy after PID

Can anyone give me any advice about my chances of conceiving following a recent 'attack' of PID?

Heres a bit of background info: I'm 29 and came off the pill 3 months ago and have been actively trying to conceive but I recently suffered severe pain in my lower abdomen (on both the left and right side) with pain in my lower back also. I was admitted to hospital and following an ultra sound and laparoscopy I was diagnosed with PID.

Before this, I was a generally healthy person who didn't have any signs of illness and to suddenly be admitted to hospital for 3 days was a real shock! While in hopsital I received treatment via IV antibiotics and was sent home 3 days later with two weeks worth of two different types of antibiotics.

My consultant told me that PID may affect my chances of conceiving and that I would receive an appointment to see a gynae specialist in 6 weeks.

My biggest worry is where this infection came from as my husband an I have been in a realationship for nearly 10 years and as far as I'm concerned neither of us have strayed? Can anyone advise me if a STI can remain undetected for 10 years +? And has anyone else had problems conceiving after having PID. My consultant said that I may face fertility problems as my right ovary and fallopian tube were swollen and may be left scarred.

Hope someone can answer?

PID is the #1 cause of blocked tubes. Depending on how bad it got, will determine the damage that was done. The specialist will be able to do some tests that will show any obstructions. Often, the tests themselves can remove any blockage. If only one side is affected, you will still have a very good chance.

Some problems can lay dormant for many years, especially in men. I have posted a link with good info on PID below. I am sorry you are going through this.

http://www.stayinginshape.com/3osfcorp/libv/0w07.shtml
Thank you for responding to me!

I have just contacted the hospital and they tell me my follow up appointment with the specialist will be posted through in the next week. So, hopefully they will be able to tell me more about the extent of the damage caused soon. Fingers crossed and praying it's minimal!

I had a look at the link you sent, it was really useful.

I'm glad you said some problems can lie dormant that helps put my mind at ease. Your link also suggested that other bacteria can also cause PID. I have also been diagnosed with CIN 3 following my last smear/PAP test and had a procedure carried out in hospital in November 2007, maybe I picked up the bacteria then??

So many questions! i just hope I can have little ones one day soon!

Thanks again for your advice