Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Pregnancy after a Laparoscopy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Pregnancy after a Laparoscopy

Has anyone had any luck with pregnancy after a laparoscopy?  We've been trying for two years and decided it was time.   I have mine scheduled in two weeks and am wondering what my chances are afterward and was hoping for some success stories!  Also, what all is involved with this and what is the recovery time?
I had a lap done after 2 years of trying.   It was the best decision I ever made since my dr finally found what's causing the problem.  I got my bfp few weeks ago, about 6 months after my lap.  

It's an invasive surgery and will take you about 4 days to recover.  You will not even remember it since you will be totally under.  I think it's a necessary procedure before you move on to more invasive treatments.  

Good luck!!!!

p.s. if you have any questions just send me a message
I just had one yesterday.  I am totally fine today!  I walked three miles and even did some light housecleaning.  The only thing that hurt is my incisions and my throat(from the oxygen tube).  Also, I'm super fat like I'm three months pregnant, but that will go away. I didn't even need meds.  You'll be totally fine.  I guess you and I are in the same boat right now, ttc for two years and now a lap.  God bless both of us with BFPs soon!
I had my exploratory lap. last summer and was up and about that night....not heavy lifting obviously, but otherwise fine.  I did not have endo. so my lap. was pretty quick so that made a difference I am sure.
I did not get my BFP for several months after, but it is certainly far from uncommon to get a BFP during the next month.
Good luck to you!!!!!!!!!!!
I think it depends on what they find when they go in.  I had a lap in December and I had a substantial amount of endo burned/cut out.  I was easily down for the count for 4-5 days, and probably not 100% til about a week later.  But I was surprised that I could do things like get up the stairs "OK" (meaning I took my time but didn't need dh's help) that same night.  They even booted me out of the hospital about 2 hours after my surgery was done.  I'm pretty sure Houston79 (who had a quick recovery) was like kindergal and didn't have anything burned off or cut out either.  All in all I'd say no matter what you'll be pretty much 100% within a week - probably sooner and certainly sooner if they don't find anything.  

I tried for 7 months on clomid with no success before the lap, and my very first attempt 3 months after the lap (IUI w/injectables) I got a BFP.  It didn't stick, but it was my first BFP so it was huge progress.   Plus the lap helped IMMENSELY for my painful periods.

Good luck to you.
I had a friend that I worked with who suffered MAJOR period pains from Endo.  She was told that she'd never be able to have kids.  She battled the disease for soo long and took so many trial drugs.  She then had 2 laps done and again was told that things didn't look so good for her.  All of a sudden, she announced that she was 5 months pregnant with her first child! She was in shock, she didn't tell any of us until she was 5 months along! She got pregnant naturally, no meds, no iui, no ivf.

Her son is now 3 years old.  She got pregnant later with her second child and had a baby girl.  So the lap must be a good thing for those with extensive endo damage.
I always think of her when i'm down, there is hope for us out there.  If my current IVF cycle doesn't work, i'm going to focus on treating the endo.

-Just thought i'd share her story...
I had my lap done in October then I went on b/c for 3 months to try and stabalize my system a bit.  I got my BFP in April. I truly believe that after 17 months the lap contributed to our success.
I am so happy to hear that Laps helped people to conceive. I'm getting a lap done on the 25th of this month- a little nervous! We actually have male infertility issues, but I have fibroid in my uterus that is causing pain. My RE told me he'll go in a clean me up so I'm pretty excited. Texasangel I hope your surgery goes well and w/ in a few months your pregnant! Good luck :)
I've also been ttc for 2 years and had a lap 4 days ago to unblock tubes caused by complications of a previous surgery. I really hope this does the miracle. Does anyone have success stories after a lap to open up blocked tubes??
christy2008
Helen I'm really excited about ur success story. Was your lap for blocked tubes (scar tissue) or for endometriosis? I had a lap 4 days ago and I'm pretty hopeful. I just need to hear more success stories.
I had a lap done on 06 3 08 and didn't know it but i had a blocked tube and endo on my ovarie so i go tues for my two week check up i hope that he has good news fingers crossed. I was just curious how much this will mess with my menstraul cycle this month, I am ready to start ttc again
I had my lap done in May and very little endo was found. We are going to starting trying again in July or August. It wasn't very painful at all. Just a little bloated but was up and about the next day. Good luck
I'm having a fibroid removed in my uterus by laproscopic. My RE told me I have to wait 2 months before TTC. He said my cycle after the surgery will probably be off anyways. I'm supposed to ovulate the day of my surgery so I dont know if I'll even have a period the following month. Keep us posted on your check up :)
because it is going to be close to ovulation, they are making me take birth control pills for a few weeks until after surgery.  i have my pre op appointment next week and have alot of questions.  i sure hope they find lots of stuff to remove, then atleast we will have an answer to why it has been 2 years and nothing.  i have an almost 4 year old and she was conceived two weeks after getting off the pill...not planned!  we thought it would be so easy!

thanks for all the success stories...i am getting excited at the possibility!  
hello My name is alisha smith. I am 21 years old. I have been having these pains for 6 years..all over, like knives stabbing me..plus I am lucky to have 2 periods a year. My ultrasounds, xrays and labs were clean, so they scheduled me for a lap. I am terrified (big baby with needles) and this is my first surgery. I am an early childhood educator, so being told at 20 that fertility is an issue made me a basketcase. My fiance and I have been together since I was 13 and we were not planning to conceieve until i was at least 25-29. I noticed that since I switched from alesse to avaine (when I was 18) that's when the periods were wonky. I have severe pain, dizziness and etc... What should I expect them to find? any of this sound familair? the most common she said was endo or POCS..but abdominal cancer might not be ruled out. Any info you could give me would be great..because I am shaking in my boots? and terrified I cannot possibly have a family.

Ps..I know I am only 21, but since we found out last year, we have been trying and nothing?? I am worried that if I don't try after the lap, that when I we are trying in the future..it won't happen? I really want children, but also want to ready and give them all I can..so waiting would be better..but I scared I will lose that chance?
Hey, I just had my second laparscopy (I'm 31, and had my first at 27).  Both times I've had stage III endometriosis and cysts.  The surgery itself was fine both times, although a lot of 'cutting away' was done.
It's more uncomfortable than painful afterwards, assuming you take the painkillers.  (I think it's less painful than the symptoms!!!)
It has taken me a week this time to feel back to normal, but the doctor tells me that is mainly due to the antibiotics which are making me very tired.
I had pain similar to what you describe (stabbing pains) but regular periods, from the age of 20 and was continually misdiagnosed until 27.  As I went on the pill for a few years in the middle, this lessened my symptoms for that time.  
An early diagnosis stands you in a great position to get 'fixed', and my doctor says that I have a good chance of getting pregnant
naturally, and should 'try hard' over the next six months, we shall see.

If you do have endometriosis and feel too young to have a child, then
going on the Pill is likely to be your best option, this will hold it back until such a time as you are ready again.    Don't feel hopeless - but do look into cutting back on wheat / diary / alcohol / caffeine as I personally have found this really reduces pain.  My endometriosis is mainly around my bowel so eating more carefully has a big impact.

DO ask your doctor any questions, I have had brilliant doctors both times and I think this makes so much difference to how you feel going into the op and the treatment you choose afterwards.

Best of luck !
hi my name is raquel i had a lap on 09/23/10 for PCOS and am still taking it slow cause of my belly button where they put the camara in it still hurts a little bit but other then that i feel great and ready to start trying with my first baby lol
Hey...i done my lap 4 days back and i m back to normal..i have PCOs and cervical block and doctor adviced me to go for lap. Do anyone of you have done lap with PCOs(drilling the ovaries) and got ur periods regularly after that...since i have irregular periods i m concern abt it ...does Lap help?
Having surgery was the best decision I ever made.  After years of trying for a baby, 2 miscarriages and 1 ectopic we decided laparoscopy was the way to go before IVF.  5 months after surgery, I was pregnant...my daughter is now 2 1/2 yrs old. In surgery they found that I had mild endo and adhesions in both tubes. We are now trying for baby #2 and I'm wondering if I need the surgery again.  Good Luck!!
I usually read comments from the sidelines and have never posted before.  I felt compelled to post after receiving a BFP after surgery.  We have been TTC after losing our baby Vincent, who was full term and died after the cord was wrapped around his neck.  Before that we had been trying for 3 years, Vincent was concieved after an IUI.  Two more IUI's after his death proved fruitless.  Our RE suggested lap surgery before trying IVF, since insurance covers the surgery.  The procedure found I had a mild case of endo with three different spots of endo that he got rid of.  Then... SUCESS on our first month after surgery!  To anyone out there with regular cycles and implantation problems... I would definitely suggest looking into this procedure.  I healed quickly and the outcome is of course... nothing less than amazing.  Good Luck and God Bless to all!
i had a lap and hysteroscopy with cervical cryocautery done exactly 2weeks ago...they removed around 5 foci of endo plus 2 choco cysts...went bac to work on day 5 and now my stitches are totally healed....all the best for ur lap...
I am having a lap done tomorrow morning and I'm kind of freaking out.  Some people have horror stories and others are just fine.  Maybe I'm reading way too much.  I previously had an HSG done and the doc found that my right tube is blocked so he decided to schedule me for the Lap to see if he could repair the tube or remove the tube.
You will do great!  I just had a lap in February and was very nervous since I had never had surgery.  But, it's incredibly smooth and fast and you wake up before you realize it even started!!  They do millions of these every year, so it's very routine.  I also had a very sweet nurse as she helped to calm me down.  They will give you some "calming" med's if you ask for it before you get knocked out.   After the surgery, I just went  home and slept.  
I just had one on Monday and it was not that bad. How are you doing?
i had a lap in feb and now im 5 weeks pregnant:):) ...ive been married for almost 3 years now...
i had done my lap on 4 days ago for ttc  dr found nothing and my right tube is good . we are trying for last 7 year i had one miscarriage then second time dr gave me clomid had ectopic then third time again clomid and  ectopic .1 tube damaged by laparoscopy  2 year ago .i am so stressed about ivf .is there any chance of having baby after lap
Congrats!  I hope your pregnancy is going well.  What did the doctors find when you had your lap?  I just had my lap on Friday.  The procedure took 90 minutes.  I had moderate endo, two cysts drained and there was an issue with my right ovary being attached to my pelvis and needed to be moved.  I got really sick from the anethesia which was not fun on Friday.  DH and I have been trying for three years to conceive and did four rounds of IUI last year.  I really don't want to got back to infertility treatments and hope to concieve (conceive) naturally.
Ladies I had this done November 2009.
Got prego january 2010 we had been trying for over 2 years. We lost that one at 3 months. We did iui after sveral more months of trying. got prgo. lost that one at 2 1/2 months. did another iui it didnt work did another iui and lost that one 6 wks. got prego 1 more time naturally and lost that one a few days in so i just did another lappy. It is worth it. dont give it hope. It will come in the right time.  both of mine have taken me time to get over but i found it worth it.  
Gl to all of u who are trying.
Hi there , I had been unable to concieve (conceive) for over two years then i had  a laparoscopy in december 2010 to remove adhesions on my uterus and fallopian tubes and also my left tube was blocked they unblocked it , now it is september 2011 just 8 months later and i just found out im 6 weeks pregnant :D did'nt think I would concieve (conceive) at all , so yes there is hope of conceiving and conceiving naturally after a laparoscopy and tubal blockage even. Good luck and gve it time x

best wishes , Monira uk

best wishes , Monira uk

best wishes , Monira uk
Hello all, I just thought I'd put my two cents in. I had my laparoscopy in late September of 2009 after 6 years of infertility. I had adhesions removed from both of my ovaries. The most painful part of it was actually the shoulder pain from the retained gas!! My first cycle afterwards was the lightest, most pain free I'd ever had!! The second cycle, not so much. It was the WORST! Pain so bad I could barely walk. So of course by then I assumed it was over and the endo had come back already, so I gave up. Low and behold, two months later (about 4.5mo post-op) I got my very 1st BFP!! My miracle baby boy is now just over 10months old. My husband and I decided we didn't want to risk waiting for another, so we didn't use any contraception. I went back to my dr about 2 months ago because we weren't pregnant again yet and I just wanted to get checked out again. He said he can actually feel scar tissue now where he couldn't before. Great. Now I'm thinking about getting another laparoscopy. I think I'm going to. And, even if I don't conceive again, I can take solace in knowing I tried everything I could, and I am truly blessed just having been able to have my son. Good luck to all you ladies, baby dust to all!

Sarah
I'm having laproscopy on november 16th for pcos, endometriosis, and my dr. Found a tumor on my ovary that is pretty big. He's concerned it may be cancer. Normally someone young at my age does not get ovarian caner, but my mother had it at a young age before she had me. I also have a blocked tube from a etopic pregancy. I have been on so many horomones and fertility drugs(clomid) for almost a year and the only thing i've gotten from it was a couple of miscarriages, etopic,  and a molar pregnancy. I hope this helps me. God willing. Any advice?
I had my first laparascopy last Wednesday and have been advised okay to do a round of IUI this cycle. Lap done day 21, period arrived day 24 - 10 day scan to take place Nov 22nd - consultant seems to think okay to do round of IUI this soon after lap? Anyone any advice? We did one round of IUI before the Lap following 5 unsuccesful cycles of clomid, 2 with TSI and first IUI done with injectables? We are so fortunate to already have a little angel boy turning 3 in December but with all our hearts would love him to have a little brother or sister next year.......
Hello All I just had my lap done 2/10/12 after reading all ur stories i am so hopeful and excited to start trying to conceive!!! We been trying for 5 yrs and nothing...that feeling is the worse feeling it hurts so much emotionally with endless nights of crying and prayer we loved each other so much we wanted a symbol of our love to share!!! So we finally decided to go to a doctor for help. Well come to find out one of my tubes was blocked with adhesions from a previous infection! Now about the surgery, it was my first surgery and it wasnt bad but i never want surgery again! I just hate feeling any other way but my normal self! lol! But the only pain I had was my belly button i think she went thru there and its still a little sore it is going away with time but had i known if she just made another incision and end up with no pain i wud much rather go that route cuz i have another incision and didnt even realize it because i had no pain there! but oh well either way the doctor said the surgery went fine...i wished instead of talking to my bf about it she talked to me after the surgery cause he was a little confused when she was explaining it to him and didnt understand so therefore the info she gave wasnt really explained to me..i asked where is my dr is she coming to explain and they said no she has already left to her office that kinda pissed me off cuz i have lots of questions and i wanted to know what the outcome was...i cant wait till this friday the 17th of Feb for my 1 week post op visit!!! Hopefully everything will go great and me and my dr can ***** a plan for conception!!! Good luck to all that will be having a lap hope this was informative and I am so happy for the couples with their success stories and were blessed with a bundle of joy I can only pray that i will be that lucky and blessed!!!
Hi! I am 27, been married for almost 4years and been ttc-ing for 1 1/2 years. Found out last July I had a tube(right) blocked and needed to see a speclist. So in 1/2012 met with one and pland on having Lap done on V-day (2/14/2012).
A day later after my surgery and I am feeling fine. I was expecting to be nauseous and hunting a lot but all I have been doing Is taking naps and trying not to hurt my self when I get up or sit down.

The doc said I had adhesions attaching my tubes to my intestine (lost of scar tissue) from an enfection I must have had back in the day. So they separated those and left me with my left tube that they are not all the way sure is fully clear( but I have high hopes).

I will try to keep u guys posted on ay BFPs or what's next on my TTC journey.
HI Sarah,

Curious if you ended up having a second surgery? I have an almost two year old, conceived after laparscopy, and I'm considering a second surgery. My dr is trying to talk me out of it and try IUI/injectibles again, but I just don't know. Curious how you made out...?
i am 30+ year old and will be undergoing a laparoscopy in three days after 1year of trying for pregnancy. What are the chances for getting pregnant after this surgery? any side effects of this surgery?

Kindly advice
Hey Everyone,
i am 23yrs old engaged to be married. i have been trying to conceive for 4yrs 2mths with no success. I am having my first lap in 13 days time and am really worried, i cant help feeling somethings extremley wrong after being told by a dr i should be in my prime at this age. i have suffered with painful periods for at least 2yrs, the pain is so severe i vomit and feel like im going to pass out i also get large blood clots which i have to push out. at my pre op assesment last week they talked about the possibility of endometriosis and told me they will perform a hsg during lap. Please reply if you are in the same situation or have been. Also a huge congratulations to all those that have concieved after lap xxx
I'm 29yrs and TTC for 3years. Last month of May I had my laproscopy for the first time(Ovarian drilling and minor endo burned) and till now(June) i didnt concieve (conceive).Today after consulting my Doc she asked to go for IUI. but myself n my husband are thinking to try with medicines for still another 3 months(like upto Dec) and then go for IUI. what do you all say???
On June 12 I had my first lapo. My and my husband have been together for 12 years, we have been trying for three years. We were just wondering how long it would take to get pregnant after the surgery. I am 33 years of age I had some endo and cysts as well as my tubes were blocked with scare tissue will this cause a problem
Hey,
I was ttc for a year found out i had to get a lap done due to having cycts on overies, i had a lap done June 1st saw no cycst in the end but they said my tubes one of my tubes were damamged and the other just a little at the bottom was blocked, they were able to unblock the less damaged one and my chances of falling pregnant were lower to 50%. couple of weeks later started to lightly bleed on and off, went docs found out i was pregnant but they didnt know if it was b'cos i was actually miss carrying or the baby was in my tubes. had blood test and ultra sound done they couldnt see anything both time. but 2nd blood results showed my hormone levels going down therefor i had miss carried at around 5 wks the docs said. happy thing is i know i can fall pregnant, just hope next time i can concieve (conceive) in the right place and everything be normal for my future baby.

all the best for you, keep posted.
xxx
Hello
'I just wanted to share with you that I had a lap done in July 2012 and I am now  ( Sept. 2012) 5 weeks pregnant!! I did not have endo but both my tubes were blocked and my doctor was able to unblock them during the surgery. I just wanted to give you a glimmer of hope!!!! Sending baby dust your way...
hi i had my lap done last week they found my left tube wasnt working properly will i beable to get pregnant im 25 and the clock is ticking been trying for 2 years ive got 1 son who is 3 i didnt have to try with him i got pregnant within 1 month the doctor said i cant ovulate does that mean since i had lap done i can now ovulate or do i need to take clomid tablet to help me ovulate i couldnt understand my doctor because i just woke up after surgery and do i have to go to the hospital for a follow up appointment pmb many thanks
hello happy to hear that ur pregnant i had my lap done 24th september my left tube wasnt working properly the doctor said good news was they mended my left tube and i should be able to get pregnant soon fingers crossed i should get pregnant im stress free been on hoilday im going bk next year if i doe get pregnant im trying not to think abt it ... its doing my partners headin because he said i keep on abt babies and more i talk abt it the chances i cant get pregnant .. tbh ive had a son who is 3 its not my boyfriend son so we want a family as soon has possible keep me posted
I just had a lap done with extensive reconstructive surgery on my cervix, vagina, and uterus. I had doubles of each. How long should I wait to try again? We have been trying for a while now, and their is nothing that I would love more than to be a mother. I am scared that  I will be unable to concieve (conceive) and I am just really worried. Any advice ?
hi is bfp a psoitive preg test? :) i have one tube and its blocked idk how bad i am getting a hsg again in january hope i can get it removed. how bad was your tubes and did u get preggo? if so how long after?
I had this op done last sep and I was ok after I had my tubes cleaned out and found out that one of my tubes where a no go as it was to dameged I went bk to see my doctor who did op in th october and got told I could start trying I found out in december I was pregnant I had five misscarriges befor this op and I was scared but I know have my little girl who is four month now and I am so happy and to think if this had of been done years ago I may not have gone through the heart ack of losing five but I  so over the moon I have my daughter here safe and well I do hope you all have the success I have had
I am scheduled to have my first lap on Jan 2nd. Since I was 14 years old, I have struggled with very painful periods and ovulation. Every two weeks I am in such pain I cannot move. When I became sexually active, it was painful to have intercourse. Going on the pill helped, but now my husband and I are trying to conceive and no luck. It has only been about 6 months, but the pain is unbearable. I am a Kindergarten teacher, and I have had to have my classroom covered several times due to extreme dizziness due to the pain. I am hoping the lap will help unveil what has been going on. Anyone else have anything similar to this? Any words or encouragement?
Hi guys
we tried for a baby for one year to no avail. an HSG scan was done and unfortunately i had partially blocked tubes and a laparascopy was carried out to open up the tubes and we kept trying again. Six month down the line and nothing was happening so our gyna suggested we try fertility drugs(letrozole ) which we used for 3 months.Finally we thank God i got pregnant while almost loosing hope . now am on ma 7th week and doing really good. dont loose hope n keep trusting tat God will surely do something
Hi Ladies
I did the Lap in November 2012 and have been waiting for signs of pregnancy and am getting very impatient with my body.
I had a lap done through my belly button, all I can say is if you get the same thing in the same area dont over do it bc I had gotten a hernia bc I didnt let the incision heal fully.
Hi ladies I'm going for a lap on 3/11/13 and I'm worried cause I've being trying for years and many doctors told me I cannot get pregnant becuz my tubes are block. Now I'm going to another doctor who want me to do it so I hope my story will be successful at the end. I will keep you guys posted
my heart goes out to all you women, i am 40 and been trying for yrs tryed all the test , surgery's fighting with my husband leaving him, doing everything possible except the ivf and adoption, it's the worst feeling in the world... i wish all you the best. i  never stop fighting or get over it... i hope someday that i will come to realize that it might not happen and the worst part is my husband has 3 girls....someday i hope i come to realize that it may never happen so i can somehow be happy..
I'm am going to the doctor this friday for a lap and am scared outta of my mind. I'm getting this does because I have really bad period cramps and really bad pelvic pain throughout the entire month, so my doc. is checking for endorsement and going to clear my tubes out if there is any blockage .. I really am scared tho because of the fact of being out under Will I die?! idk
I meant endorsement. idk y my phone auto corrected with endorsement Lmao
^Endo
I had laparoscopy two weeks ago and it was clear, does anyone know if chances are higher of getting pregnant now even though tubes were clear, I've heard somewhere the procedure gives the tubes a good wash and can increase chances??