Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Pregnancy after stopping breast feeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Pregnancy after stopping breast feeding

I have an 8 month old baby girl and stopped breast feeding her at 7 months. I have been trying to get pregnant again for the last couple months and I don't know how or when I can. I have not gotten my period yet and I don't know when my ovulation will start again. Can anyone tell me when I can expect ovulation to return and if there is a good chance of getting pregnant again so soon after breastfeeding?
I did not actively try to get pregnant while breastfeeding, but do know women can and do conceive while bf.  I suggest you starting doing basal body temps in the morning (the best you can with an 8 month old) and see when you are ovulating.  There is a great website, fertilityfriend.com that you could use, and it answers a lot of questions.  I have looked at many charts of women who are breastfeeding, either trying to get pregnant, or using it to keep from getting pregnant.  Good luck!!
Once your get your period, I would start charting your basal body temp.  Lots of info on the net about it.  It will give you a good indication of when and if you are ovulating.  
I stopped breastfeeding my son after six weeks due to two boughts of intense mastitis.  I had one period about five weeks after I stopped and then six weeks later I began craving peanuts.  That's when I found out about being pregnant with my daughter.  They are 12 1/2 months apart.  I never knew how fertile you are at that point but, believe me, with a three month old, we weren't breaking any records for trying to get pregnant!  It took me a lot longer to get pregnant with the third but all is good now.  Good luck to you!