Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Premature Ovarian failure?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Premature Ovarian failure?

I am 29. I have an 8 year old and a 3 year old. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 24 cycles. We were refered to a fertility doctor and three weeks ago went in for our follow up after a whole bunch of tests. He told me I have premature ovarian failure which in essence is very early menopause. My fsh was 26 and I have occasional night sweats. My period is still bang on regular however is often very very light. I have frequent pain around my right ovary which they have disregarded. I have a low folical count as well. I go back on the 31st to talk about fertility treatments although he did seem optimistic. My other option is hormone replacement therapy which I don't know a lot about. There are so many symptoms that I don't have and even the ones I do are still mild or small yet he is already diagnosing me done for. Everything I have looked up sort of fits but I feel he is wrong. What else could this be?
I know how you feel, I was told by my gyno that I have premature ovarian failure. I was wishing that he was wrong. I barely get periods and when I do it's really short and light. I was placed on Clomid 100mg to be able to ovulate again. That was back in November 2010. Sad to say it didn't work and the side effects was harsh on me. It tripled my hot flashes. I'm only 24 years old. I have a 2 year old son who will be 3 in Dec. My husband and I are TTC for almost 2 years. I wanted to get another opinion and I went and seen my gyno's coworker. Turns out she said the same thing that my gyno said, Premature ovarian Failure, borderline pre-menopause. I started an all natural fertility pills in January since there are no harsh side effects and a lot safer for your body. My first day of my period was on Jan 24th and still waiting for it. Took home test negative, was too nervous to take one sooner. Might just be going back to no periods again, but hopefully I'm wrong and same with the test. Going to be calling my gyno tomorrow and see if he will run a blood test or something.
Don't give up hope, I have been told that with certain fertility meds it is still possible that you will get pregnant. They just need to find the exact cause and the right treatment. If they are disregarding your pain I would go find another doctor. Pain in ovaries are often signs of ovarian cysts or tumors. I had pain in my left ovary for 8 months before I find out what was going on with that. Went to the hospital and they said we can't do anything for you and sent me back home without running tests or anything on me. Just gave me a pill and sent me home. Called my gyno and he said well maybe it's the endometriosis acting up. Waited a whole month and then called again and made an appointment with his coworker, she sent me for tests and showed a mass in my left ovary the size of a golf ball or a little bigger. Wasn't cancerous thank God. And that was last year. And that's when they found out that my left ovary stopped working. Right one is about to give out too. But I try to keep my head up high and stay positive. I'm sure that you will be fine and hope that you will be able to conceive that bundle of joy. Good luck!
I am sorry you are going through this. A good friend of mine was diagnosed with POF at age 26, and she found the book "The Infertility Cure" by Randine Lewis very helpful. It has a section on POF. She passed it on to me when I started having fertility issues. I was diagnosed with borderline ovarian reserve and was finally able to get pregnant with a supplement regimen and weekly acupuncture. Best of luck to you.
Thank you for your responses. I actually just got that book too. I also went for accupuncture however we only have one place where I live and he doesn't seem to know a lot about fertility or even the book I was talking about. I hope to find a place in the city near us when we get back from our trip. I am finding myself getting depressed. I just want soem answers. I feel like the doctor really left me hanging with very little information. I got 11 vials of blood taken so I pray that he can find out the cause and we and decide what we are going to do. I would love to hear more if anyone wants to share.
What other symptoms have you had?