Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Preparing for IUI using OPKs?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Preparing for IUI using OPKs?

I took Femara this cycle and will be doing a single IUI probably within the next 4-5 days.  I had a sort of of odd cycle last month (w/Femara but no IUI), where I spotted for 3-4 days before any real flow.  I ovulated on cd15 and had a 30 day cycle if you don't count the spotting (usually its no more than 28 days).

My RE says to start using OPKs on cd 11, but I'm concerned I should start earlier.  Could I have miscounted and in fact the day I think was cd1 was actually a bit later?  Does it matter since I'm taking Femara?  Last month it was 9 days from last Femara pill to ovulation, should that always be the case?  

I know, so many questions....but I don't want to risk missing ovulation.  My RE said I should call when I see any line in the OPK test area, and IUI will be scheduled the next day.
I hope this is your month! : )   cd1 is always the first day of "normal" flow.. so spotting is still considered the end of the cycle. or as you szaid cd30... i would think that cd11 would be fine to start testing , however except for cost it won't hurt if you start testing a day or two before that, esp if it eases your mind a little! I O earlier on femara than on a natural cycle.. but not sure if thats how everyone is.. and i've never O'd earlier than cd12 or 13 on it... I imagine it won't always be 9 days after taking your last pill... nothing is typically that clockwork, but ya never know!   good luck!  
Hi Rene,
I would suggest starting the OPK a little early say on day 9. That way you wont be worrying about the O happening early and missing it. Also, have you checked with the RE how many days to abstain before the IUI? Per I know you should abstain atleast 2 days before IUI.
Thanks for the tips.  I think I will start testing a day early just in case.  My RE said abstain for 2 days but not more than 5.  

I O'd about the same day on Femara as without, but my luteal was longer w/Femara.  I usually get a postive OPK anywhere from cd13 to 16, with cycle around 27 days.

bny807: How are you doing BTW?  I'm sorry if you're still in the waiting game.
yes my RE says the same, 2 days, but no more than 5 (man sometimes it hard to plan for that exactly!!!)   thanks rene, i think i've miscarried! july 4th it hit me while at work, then i continued to cramp and then july 7th passed the sac... no cramping since and hardly any bleeding.. however looks like i still have more to do, according to the ultrasound last friday, ugh!   so i'm awaiitng my second beta (it was 289 friday) hopeing its dropping or we are looking at a D&C after all of this waiting! ahhhh! i just want it to end and be normal for a little while again!  then the wait for AF will begin! then back to injectables and IUI's!       GOOD LUCK and keep us updated!
Well, that at least sounds promising.  I so understand the need for closure and getting back to normal after a m/c.  You just need something to look forward too.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that your numbers get down and you can start waiting for AF again.  Funny how you are glad to see her after such things...when most of your life just trying to avoid it.

Good luck and keep us posted!  I will definitely post when that BFP comes...