Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Progesterone Shots - on my own?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Progesterone Shots - on my own?

I have to do 2ml Pregesterone shots twice a day for 5 days before and 10 days after FET. Now DH will be out of town for 5 of those days. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to best do those myself? They're supposed to go into the upper part of my behind. I have no problem doing the belly Lupron shots, but the needles for the progesterone look awfully big, and the spot seems awkward to get to by yourself. HELP!
Oh dear, as best I can, I somewhat understand your worries... I'm on daily injections too and found it upsetting at the thought of epi-penning myself as I have basal vegal reactions when I am scared or nervous about medical things, so my husband is doing them. But we too have thought, what if he was forced to go away?

I am sure you have considered options but, is there someone nearby (family member, close friend) whom you would feel comfortable learning how to do it in advance, and being there for you those 5 days? I know it's kind of weird but some people are very factual about this kind of stuff and would jump in to "do the least they can" to assist you with all you have to go through. Would rise to the occasion. But I also know some people would be scared of it or to hurt you.

What about your local doctor? (Family doctor?) Could you contact them and ask a nurse to quickly do this for you for the 5 days? It's a part of your ongoing health care. Not sure where you are but my family doctor referred me to the fertility clinic out-of-town and has continued to assist me with anything local they are able to do. (Non cycle monitoring-related blood work, doctors notes etc.) Could that possibly work?

So many aspects of this journey are so troubling, worrying, and it all ***** but I've found letting others in makes them realize how hard it all is and I now get many offers for help, whatever it could be. Although I'm a private person, body-sensitive and have those dumb reactions, I've gotten to the point where I'm sort of numb about it all and will do what needs to be done, which I guess is a positive for me, and we decided if needed, we'd have someone else we trust inject me if they felt comfortable. Also because of the awkward position, not wanting to do it wrong or hurt myself.

Let me know what you decide!! I hope you find a solution that will ease your mind :)

PS.  LOL, the sentence with 5 stars was the word "s-ucks" if you were wondering! I didn't realize that would be blocked out.
I had the same problem when my H went out of town.  And you know what?  I realized that it is easier to do them yourself.

You'll do great, good luck!
Any tips on the "how" part? Did you use ice to numb it first?
I was going to go to my RE's office (it's 45 minutes away) before I looked at my med calendar and realized I need to do them twice a day! No way I can make that drive twice a day (I work full time).
On the bright side... DH just called and he'll probably be able to come home during the week and will only be gone for 2 days now (hopefully), he'll have to talk to his boss etc. Definitely want as little stress as possible during 2ww.
I did use ice and then a heat pad after in the beginning but after weeks of PIO shots I stopped doing that.  I just don't thik cold & heat helped all that much.

The first stick will be the hardest but after that you will feel like a pro.  
There were a few days when I did my FET that I had to do them myself, because my DH was out of town too.  I kind of sat on the edge of the bathroom counter and we have a large mirror in front so I used it to better see what I was doing.  I ran the shot under hot water to help make the PIO less thick or viscous and I used an ice pack afterwards.  I think both helped some.  Good Luck!  
I packed the vial of PIO in my bra for a while to warm it up and iced the area really well beforehand. I found that helped a lot. Also, if possible, try to take all the pressure off the side where you are giving yourself the shot. Lordy, I feel for ya. Those shots are not much fun, but you'll get more and more used to them. Also I found using a heating pad afterwards helped as well. Good luck!
Thank you all!
I started giving myself the shot after a few weeks,and found it was actually easier, and hurt less.  Yes,I always always iced!!  And rub rub rub afterwards :). So glad to see your almost ready to try Again!!! Yay!!! ;). I will be saying tons of prayers for you!!!
Just a quick update...
After speaking to my nurse decided to skip the ice and use heat pad afterwards. Turns out I have a lot less bruising on "my" side than I have on the other side that DH uses when he's home. Go figure! Nurse said ice would make it harder for the progesterone to spread, since it would thicken the oil.
First one was the hardest, really had to psych myself up for that one, and just got easier from there. Luckily I got to practice a few days before ET and am definitely a lot less stressed now that DH is gone for 4 days straight. (On 5dp3dt).
Oh, I couldn't do it without the icing!  I only left it on for about 2 min before, but it took the sting off.  I just turned slightly towards the side I was doing, and stuck it in :) it actually hurt less then when someone else did it.