Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Quick question regarding sa

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Quick question regarding sa

Has anyone had their dh do the sa and could you tell me what was his feelings on that?  Was it hard for him to do it?  Did he have mixed emotions and what should I expect? My dh said that he would do it but I would like to know what should he expect?
Do you mean sperm analysis???  If you do, DH was happy to do it b/c he just wanted to prove he has super sperm :)  Most doctors will let them get a cup and take it home to do it.  I handed it to DH before I left for work, he did his business and just dropped it off at the ob/gyn office.  Most doctors want them to do it right off the bat to rule that out as an issue.
My hubby did the semen analysis years ago. Not too hard, just put some in a cup and rush it to the lab. The bad part was he had performance anxiety and had a little trouble collecting the sample. We also lived about 15 minutes from the office. The doc had said to have it there in 1 hour, but when we got there the lab tech said it had to be within 30 minutes. (It had been 45 minutes.) They had to make some phone calls to see if they could still use it. He was mortified. They ended up testing it, but his motility was a little on the low side. They said that could be from the sample being too old. They wanted him to repeat it, but he refused. He recently agreed to another one, but then reniged.

I think with all that we go through they can suck it up and put some baby juice in a cup! After all it's not nearly as painful as CHILDBIRTH!! Besides - it's kinda fun to help with the collection. :)

Good Luck!!
My dh did it twice:) The first time the gyno wanted it, so he did his sample at home then dropped it off at the lab! They said it was normal! The second time was at the fertility clinic, he was so mortified because he had to do it there in one of the special rooms! They had porno mags and movies! It came out normal again! I agree with everything a woman goes through, they should bite the bullet and do it!
My dh was the same way!! He didn't mind giving the sample at home, and then I took it to the lab, but giving one at the fertility clinic was another story. He did it, but man was he embarrassed.
Thank you for your support and feedback. I have really enjoyed reading your responces and sharing this experience with others.  I will keep you posted on when and what happened with the sa and my dh.
My DH did NOT want to do it.  I thought I would have to go round and round with him, but I just left it at "the Dr. said you HAVE to go get this done".  Then, I gave him some numbers of Urologists and he had it done within 3 days!!  However, I will say, he did not, does not and will not talk about it.  I guess it's just a personal thing and some people don't feel as comfortable as others.  The best advice I can give you is this:  If you make it out to sound like the Dr. is the one who needs it instead of YOU "pressuring" him to do it, he might be more willing to go.  GOOD LUCK!
my dh really had no problem because he also wanted to prove he had super sperm which the doc actually said he had. He had to do it a total of three times once for analasis and two more times for IUI and sperm washing.
I told my dh, that was nothing compared to me having to have my private parts on display everytime i went to the clinic:)
My husband has been great with this matter.  We have been trying for more than 3 years and one of the very first things my doctor did was test his sperm.  As everyone else has said he was out to show me that his sperm was GREAT, and it was!!!  The last 2 months we have done Artif. Insim. The first time he had to go to the office to collect the sperm for the procedure and did great.  I teased the nurse that put us in the room that I will never think the same about "Here comes Santa Claus" again because that was the song playing on the speakers!