Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
STD?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

STD?

HAS ANYONE HONESTLY ON HERE EVER HAD CHYMIDIA AND WAS STILL ABLE TO GET PREGNANT ONCE IT WAS CURED? BECAUSE MY RE SAID THAT HE SAW THE ANTIBODIES IN MY BLOOD STREAM WHICH MEANS THAT HE COULD SEE THAT IVE HAD IT MY LIFETIME SO NOW THEY ARE GOING TO LOOK AND MAKE SURE MY TUBES ARE OK..... BUT IM SO STRESSED BECAUSE IM NERVOUS THAT I CAN'T HAVE KIDS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP ME SOMEBODY!
First i want to say sorry you are going threw this, and my response is not meant to be harsh, mean or affend you.(sometimes i cant find nicer words to say)

Well, first i want to say, i havent heard it used in that phrase, antibodies in blood stream which means you ve had it your life time.  I can tell you this, its an std that needs to be treated once you no you have it.  Now, if you ve had chlamydia for a long time and have not had it treated, YES it can cause complications. Did you no you had chlamydia, did you get treated for it?

Complications would include, it will make you more vunerable to getting HIV, if left untreated it can spread into the plevic area and infect your UTERUS, FALLOPIAN TUBES, AND OVARIES leading to PELVIC INFLAMMATORY DISEASE  aka PID. If it is left untreated it can cause PERMANENT Damage to the womans reproductive organs and can lead to INFERTILITY, CHRONIC PELVIC PAIN and an increase risk of ECTOPIC PREGNANCY.

Thats why it is important for women to make sure they get there yearly pap smear, and if you are doing risky sexual behaviors, you should be tested more frequent for stds.  

According to the center for disease control its about 3 - 4 million new cases each year.  This disease is known as the silent epidemic, because 75% of women and 50% of men with the disease dont have SYMPTOMS.

Im glad your doctor is doing further testing, but to answer your question, it is YES. So i guess its more like did you no you had the disease and if you didnt, yes you are at a high risk for infertility.  I will keep you in my prayers, you can message me anytime
Also im just wondering, if you dont mind, how old are you?
I was just reading the posts here and don't have answers on this subject, (sorry, not helpful) but I have a comment and and question.  I read somewhere that a normal pap doesn't screen for STD's.  Is that true?
I also wander if a normal pap smear checks for bacterial infections, a.k.a. BV?
I'm sorry you're going through this also.  I've never had Chlamyddia or PID but I seriously thought I had PID from the pelvic pains I get.  But if your doctor catches it in time you can prevent damage to your reproductive organs.  However, you'll just have to wait out further testing, HSG's, ultrasounds or whatever they do to find out about PID.  

And to answer 35 Mom of Boys questions, normal paps don't check for Chlamyddia or any other STD's.  You have to ask your doctor to test for any STD's.  I've had BV before and I never asked my doc to check for it but he always told me right after my Paps.  Your doc can check for BV right in the office. The doc just takes a swab from your cervix and puts it under the microscope or he puts it on some thingie and puts some type of stuff on it that will make it smell if BV is present. I've had BV recurrently so my doc would always do the check after each pap.  

Good luck all!

Trish
Normal pap smears dont check for stds, a pap is totally something different, most drs will ask you do you want them to check for std since there down there. A woman who no she is active should be requesting a std screen and being checked frequently.  So to answer your question 35mom, NO.  If im not mistaken pap smears test for abnormal cell growth which could indicate cervical cancer.  Also Bacterial Vaganosis, Yeast infection and Trichomoniasis is detected under a microscope, if your getting a pap smear, again your doctor may ask if you want a std screening, or if you are having symptons of yeast, trich or bv and you mention it do them they will check for it.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers