Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Sac but no fetus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Sac but no fetus

I am 9 weeks today and had an ultrasound yesterday. The doctor saw a sac but no fetus. I have all the sypmtoms of being pregnant too. The doctor said he has been fooled before and wants me to come back next week for another ultrasound. But he is 99% sure the pregnancy is not viable. I have read other postings where the women waited and ended up having a healthy baby. Some waited until 11 weeks. I don't know if I should get a second opinion or wait another 2 weeks for another ultrasound. I have a 3 yr old and had a difficult pregnancy with her. I also had a miscarriage in July and didn't think I would be going through this again. I am praying the fetus is just too small to see. Maybe I'll have a Christmas miracle. Has anyone gone through a similar experience? Thank you in advance for your support.
How positive are you that you're 9 weeks pg?  Could you be more like 4-5 weeks pg instead?

Unfortunately, at 9 weeks, they should be able to see everything.  I'm so sorry!  The heart starts beating at 6-7 weeks and that would have been visible at your u/s.  Definitely wait and have another u/s though and see what the doc says then.
I'm so sorry you have to go through that. How many weeks was your sac measuring?  During my ultrasound at 7 weeks (I had one so early because my hcg levels were not doubling at the beginning of my pregnancy) there was a sac but no fetal pole or heartbeat.  My doctor wanted me to come back again a week later to see if anything had changed unfortunately the sac had no growth at all and there still was no fetus or a heartbeat.  My dr. said they usually would see something by then  and thought it was most likely a blighted ovum but said we could wait another week, unfortunately I had a m/c 4 days later. I had pregnancy symptoms up until my m/c however they started to dissipate about 2 weeks before my m/c (sore bbs went away, ect). Hopefully your dates are off and you will have some great news!!! The hardest part was the waiting for me , hang in there and good luck!!!
I had my u/s last Friday at 8 weeks pregnancy. Had sac but no fetus. I started to see blood stain around 5 weeks pregnancy, it was very little and happen everyday since that. Doc wants to check my hcg level on last friday and today to see whether the pregnancy is continues or i'm having m/c.

But last Saturday, I bleed a lot, and there were something drop out. I think I saw the sac. It looks like egg white but transparent. I guess I m/c.

This is my first m/c. What will happen after that?
Do you know why happen that has sac but no fetus?