Saline Sonogram
Anyone ever had a saline sonogram? What was your experience?
I had one done before my IVF, and to me at least, it was no big deal at all. It was just like a regular vaginal ultrasound with a little bit of pressure.

:-)
I had a saline sono done last week. They insert a catheter in your cervix  and inject 10 cc's of saline into your uterus. It wasn't painful at all until I got home and then I had horrible cramps for the next 6 hours. They felt like contractions to me.... but everyone is different :)
I had it done. Let me say everyone is different. But Good lord hello. They did it to me and i was at the top of the exam table. He said relax.. I was like I'm trying.. He tried to put the catheter in twice and the cramping was awful. I had to hsgs done and i would have done better with that. lol He said my cervix was to stenonic ( what ever that means) lol But I was glad it was over.
Thank you ladies for the information. Did your RE tell you why they thought it was necessity?
I spoke to the RE nurse today and she stated that the doctor was requesting a saline sonogram in order to check the inside of my uterus (just like the hsg checks the tubes). This way if there are any cysts, endo, etc, that will cause a hostile environment for implantation...it will be known before the actual IVF procedure.
I had one done as one of several tests my RE prescribed for me to rule out possible causes for my multiple miscarriages.  The saline sono was done to check the inside of my uterus for possible scarring, fibroids, or anything that would hinder implantation.

I did not take any pain medication and I did not feel any cramps or any discomfort after the procedure..which lasted maybe 10 minutes? I was totally fine afterwards.

I'm a wuss and often don't remember to take a deep breath and RELAX..because these procedures are so much easier then!
Miranda,

You are correct. I just had this done Friday and all went well. I did not feel discomfort during or after. My uterus looked good and I can proceed with IVF in November :)
I did not experience having this procedure with my previous RE.
I have had 2 of these done to help diagnosis and detect fibroids.  This procedure really is not painful if done correctly.  The HSG on the otherhand is a bit different.  They are used for 2 different reasons.  SHG is used to detect fibroids and uterus anormalies and the SHG is used with dye contrast to see how the tubes are working and if there are any blockages.

It is important to know which one you are having.  I recently got charged for a HSG when I had the other test.  There is a huge difference in charges for the procedures, one is with dye and one is not!