Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Semen quantity and thickness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Semen quantity and thickness

I am a 30 years old guy. Actually since 2005 I was noticing some dried gum type(semi solid) small pieces in my semen so I consulted to a Urologist in Bangalore, India in Feb 2006. He had my semen analysis done which came out as very low sperm count 16 millions/ml with 65% Vitality & 5% Rapid Progression (2ndFeb'06) so he asked me for Scrotal Doppler test which said that "I have some dilated veins which shows reflux during valsalva's manoeuvre." So he suggested a "Bilateral Varicoelectomy" surgery to remove those dilated veins. After surgery I again had sperm analysis done throughout an year in regular interval of 2-3 months to check the sperm count which comes as 15.5 million/ml(first test after surgery) then 17, 29, 34, 80, 32 million/ml (last sperm test at 1st Oct 07).

During this period I was not happy mainly with my semen thickness/viscosity though sperm count was okay i.e 32 million/ml as per the last sperm count so I again consulted the same doctor and asked him for another Scrotal Doppler test as I wanted to know whether surgery was successful or not and that test says that "Mild reflux noted on Valsalva in pampaniform plexus". My Urologist says its ok. So pls let me know if this is really ok??

This test was done 1.5 yrs back and after that I was sitting quiet. But for last couple of months I am noticing that while ejaculation first 3-4 semen shots are thick but last 2-3 shots comes just like water (in Same single ejacualtion) Is it because I masturbate a lot (once or twice in a day) but in that case less quantity semen (which happens) or less thick semen should be ejaculated, not half thick and later half like water. so pls let me know what is the actual cause of first half semen thick and later half semen like water in a single ejacualtion??

My Semen volume is not much (1 to 2.5 ml) so pls let me know if 1 to 2.5 ml semen amount is not a more than normal range and I might have Retrograde Ejacualtion which normally happens after this kind of surgery??

Please answer all my queries which I have asked from the beginning.

Hi sonumish! I'm not really sure about the first half being thicker and the second half more watery, but if your semen analysis have come back normal, I don't think it's anything to worry about. In general, it usually takes about 30 minutes or so for the semen to liquify, so it's normal for it to be a bit thicker when just released. As for the volume, I think between 2-4 ml is normal.

There's also a urology forum on here, in case you want to try posting your questions there, too: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/show/52

Good luck to you!

Can you pls provide me with the contact details of the urologist. I would like to get myself tested with him and from which place is he.