Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Sertoli Cell Only Syndrome

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Sertoli Cell Only Syndrome

About 7 years ago my husband was diagnosed as having Sertoli Cell Only Syndrome. We have seen 3 different specialists and he has undergone one biopsy. All the doctors that we have spoken to have told us that we will NEVER conceive naturally. We have asked if he should undergo another biopsy to check for sperm cells again so we could try ICSI and were told that the outcome would most likely not be a positive one. Our last doctor told us that we should consider donor sperm.

Are there any known cases of couples conceiving naturally when Sertoli Cell Only Syndrome is a factor? Does anybody have any advice on using donor sperm?
Dear Mel, I'm sorry I don't have a good story to tell you but I thought I let you know that I am going through exactly the same thing as you are; so you know you and your husband are not alone in this. My husband has been diagnosed with SCOS (sertoli-cell only syndrome) only last week so it's still new with us.

The diagnosis and tests have been going on for about a year now after we fail to conceive naturally for 2 years, and only after we received the testicular biopsy results last week did the gynecologist informed us that all the tests results are consistent of a classical SCOS. For my husband its SCOS type 1 as he has a total absence of germ cells (that forms the sperm) on his seminiferous tubules in his testis. Type 2 means there are some germ cells in some or minority of the tubules-not sure which one is your husband's?

So we are given the grave prognosis of NEVER conceiving naturally too. It is devastating but we are moving on with adoption hopefully in the near future. Unfortunately for us, using donor sperm is not an option . However, if you are pursuing donor sperm I hope you will be able to get as much info as you can about the donor to ensure a full health of the biological father and a slight resemblance in his features to you and/or your husband. Also I advise that you get your husband involved as much as possible in the decision making when you choose the donor :)

All the best Mel dear and I hope we'll both get our babies very very soon

Sending you heaps of hugs
-Jas-
I was diagnosed as Sertoli cell only.  My wife and I are pursuing a donor route since she is very fertile.  It was difficult at first to think I will not be the biological father, but I am past that now.  I participate in every part of the baby making process.  I go to every appointment with my wife.  We picked the donor together.  We are also going through adoption to adopt a child as well.  The bottom line for me is its not just biology that makes a parent.  Its everything else you do as a family that makes being a parent special.