Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Short periods

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Short periods

Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone else has short periods. I usually bleed for two days, then spot for a couple of days after that. And the amount is not very heavy at all. I think I bled longer and had a heavier period when I was younger, but not sure if that had anything to do with being on birth control pills. Anyone else have short periods, and is that an issue when ttc?
i have that too!! my cycle is 2 days and thats it it just stops!! its been this way ever since i quit taking depo shots and yep when i was younger i had regular 5day cycles 2 heavy 3 light. im not sure if its an issue when TTC or not i keep wondering myself but from what i hear no its not  a problem as long ur getting them on time and i do exactly every 25 days.
Hi gokuangel! I'm glad I'm not alone. I too have regular cycles...usually 27-28 days. And I did do three or four unmedicated IUIs back in the beginning of 2007, without success, but they did monitor my follicles and such, and always said my uterine lining looked good prior to the IUI. So I guess that's good.
i thought i was alone and that it was all depos fault well actually it is its the reason i cant conceive grrr makes me mad. oh man im srry but if  everything looked good and u still cant conceive u might try the herbal remedies the girls are doing around here (me too) theyre supposed to work good!!!
Your not alone.  I also have this although last month my af was heavier then usual but still only lasts about 2 days...then some spotting for about a day.
mine was the same this past month but man the cramping was bad i could not make it stop it was hurting bad so the 2 days were not fun this last time!! i usually take 2 aleve and im good but not this last time but at least its over and i can hope for bfp this month!!
lets keep our fingers crossed we all get ours!!
I am in the same boat.  2 day periods plus spotting a few days before and after.  And, I have very vivid memories of periods lasting for about a week years ago.  Not sure why that is the case but as long as we O, I don't think this should be a problem.  
Lets all hope for O mine is coming soon my temp dropped today so anytime in the next fews days i think!!
i had periods that lasted a day of light spotting and i always thought i was preg ti the BFN's...each month my periods began to get longer and longer....the month before I got my BFP i had 4 days of heavier spotting til no real period

i got a BFP with short periods....have you confirmed your ovulation?

oh man that would drive me nuts at least if im cramping and bleeding i know for sure im not prego but if i just had spotting oh man i would be so mad when i got that BFN! im srry u had that!! i have not confirmed my O i wasnt able to get the OPK's this month but Tara (the other girl) said when ur temps drops and then raises ur close and i dropped 5 degrees today i double chkd to make sure it wasnt just cus i woke up cold and it wasnt i was still the same. so if goes back to 98 i know im real close!
oh wow i just saw what u said wait u got bfp congrats i see ur lookie says 6wks!!  so how long were ur periods and were u just coming off b/c?
Thanks for answering my post, everyone! It's good to hear that so many of you have shorter periods...I guess it is fairly common then :-)

gokuangel: Sounds like you're just about to ovulate...good luck this cycle. I'm a bit behind you...only CD3 today, so I still have another 10 days or so before O.

waitn838, congratulations on your pregnancy! That's awesome! I'm pretty sure I ovulate every month. Except for last month, I've always gotten a positive OPK, and it's confirmed by my temperatures going up after O (last month, I think I used a bad batch of OPKs). So, I guess we'll just have to keep trying...

Best of luck to everyone!!!
i had short light periods while ttcing ds and I conceived him, no issues.  This time my period is normal but was light the couple cyclesm (late summer/early fall).  I am using the cbefm and this cycle, I just started temping - I just want to make sure I am o'ing.  What cd are you on heather5?  Im on cd 7.
Hi susanelizabeth! And Happy New Year!!!! I'm CD3 today... AF showed up on New Year's Eve :-( I pretty much knew, though, because my temps were down when I woke up that morning.

So, I guess you're only four days ahead of me then! Cool! We'll have to keep in touch again this month :-) I forgot, when do you usually ovulate again? I usually get my LH surge on CD13 or so.
hey!  i dont usually get my surge until cd 16-18 so you will catch up!  cool!  i am temping this cycle, have any tips????  it has to be the same time each morning before i do anything at all, right?????
We might O again around the same time then :-) As for temping, yeah, try to take it at the same time every morning right as you wake up. Although, I don't always take it at the same time. Some days I wake up earlier, so I just take it then, since you need at least three hours of sleep before temping. But I still get a bi-phasic curve. How's your BBT charting going so far? Are you using fertilityfriend?
i am cd 7 today and today was my first day charting.  I know im late but i figure better late than never and since I probably wont o for like 10 more days it should be ok.  The baby (my 13 month old), woke me up much later then usual at 8 am (he usually wakes me at 6 or 7) so I know that i wont be able to temp at the same time each day. But i have a cold and when i woke this am, I noticed my mouth was open.  That could trip me up, right?
oh and yup, im on ff and using the cb easy fert monitor....  It hasnt asked me for any sticks yet.  Do you have a ff screenname - are you on the message boards?
Yeah, you should be fine starting temping today! As for mouth open, yes that can lower your temps a bit...but you're still early in the follicular phase, so I don't think it will make much of a difference. I always have a couple of random high or low temperatures every cycle, and I think that's normal. As long as you see a trend, where your temps are lower before O and higher after, you're fine!

I actually don't use the message boards on FF, since I'm not a VIP member (once my complimentary VIP membership was over, I just started using the free version).
yeah, maybe I just sleep with my mouth open and never noticed before????  But Im betting it is due to this horrific cold I am getting over.  I figure the temping cant hurt!  I hope this is both our months!!!!
Me too :-)
Hi All,

I too have shorter periods.  I noticed it in my late 30's.  I went through a period (no pun intended) of my periods being shorter, than they got longer and heavy, than shorter again.  Now I'm 42 and they are only about 2 days.  Really, just about 24 hrs of moderately heavy flow then 1 - 3 days of light to moderate spotting.   I think age defintely shortens our periods.  Unfortunately, the cramping doesn't wain, just the flow.