Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Should I cancel IUI?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Should I cancel IUI?

This is my 4th round on clomid.  First 3 I did 50mg and this month I did 100.

At my CD13 US I had only one 20mm follicle and my lining was 6.  They had me take Ovidrel shot 7 hours later, and IUI is scheduled for 36 hours after the shot.

I am 40 and have given birth 4 times and experienced 5 early losses.  My insurance will cover 3 IUI's and then 3 IVF's.  I hate to waste a cycle on just one potential egg.

I have a consult appointment with an RE in 2 weeks.  I think clomid is drying my CM and thining my lining.  My insurance will cover moving to injectibles instad, which should produce more follicles.

SO should I cancel this round of IUI with my OB, and just wait to begin more aggressive treatment with the RE?

We have been faithfully BD'ing this month, so all is not wasted anyway.

I really need an urgent answer as the IUI is set for tomorrow morning!!!  Thank you in advance....
I have not had an iui before but I'm thinking if this was me I would cancel it and wait for the injectibles and the perfect cycle.

But this is just want I would do.

Hope all works out.
It really sounds like your current OB is on top of things, closely watching you , etc.  I think the follie size sounds great !  I think if I were you, I'd go ahead with the  IUI tomorrow, (why wait another month?)  But go ahead and start looking forward to your RE appt in two weeks from now...

I think the RE would probably start you out on clomid + iui anyway, then move you up to injectibles.  

Good Luck, I hope this is your month
Well my OB called and talked me into going ahead with tomorrow's IUI.  In fact, the RE I am going to see in early Nov agreed.  SO fingers crossed that this month works!

I am hopeful that if it does not work that our new RE will let me move right to injectibles based on age and already exhausting 4 rounds of clomid.  PLUS this is actually the protocal that our insurance company calls for, so that is good too!

Thanks for the feedback ladies.  Hoping tomorrow morning we do the trick!
My son is 8 months old.  He was conceived with IUI, and I only had one mature follie.  

Best of luck to you!!
Since the clomid has been used for 4 rounds, i definitely would think the RE will go straight to injectibles.  I am excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Your First IUI!!

And besides with your great insurance, i really feel that you are going to get there!!!

Come on BFP!!   +++BABYDUST+++
Well I did the IUI!  I was a bit worried as DH sample seemed small to me- but the doctor said it was a great sample- lots of sperm and very active!!  They did it by hand not machine and only viewed it under a miscroscop so I don't have any actual numbers- but she was pleased!

All went well.  The procedure itself pinched a little as she had to use some special instrument to ope the cervix and to help insert the catheter she had to use a little force.  But I only had some mild cramping and then I laid on the table for a good 30 minutes before leaving.

We will BD again later today and tomorrow morning.  Please sned me all the positive vibes you can spare!!  Thanks for all your feedback!!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~