Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Side effect of IVF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Side effect of IVF

Hi, I am going to start IVF treatment in June. Currently, I am taking contraceptives. I am concerned because my period has not stopped yet. May it be because of the contraceptives? Anyways, I am 40 y old and it is the first time I am going to do IVF. I am also concerned about future consequences of taking the ivf medication. Can the medication increase the risk of breast or ovarian cancer? Am I going to experience immediate side effects? Any suggestions or reccomendations are welcome. I am kind of anxious and nervous.

This discussion is related to worried about ivf med side effects.
dancer40 - I started w/contraceptives for my two IVF cycles - are you on the placebo pills?  I forgot if I started my period or not - I'm pretty sure I did.  And of course you're nervous - it's a stressful time - have you tried accupuncture?  If you don't start your period soon, contact your re's office.

I understand the concern about the long term consequences of the ovary-stimulating meds.  From what I read, stimulating the ovaries neither causes breast nor ovarian cancer.  I know that they would never give these drugs to young women who are donors if there was any risks more than normal for these cancers.

Try accupuncture - another thought - one thing I did was read (or rather skim) the book "The Secret".  My daughter also made me a visualization board.  I'm not sure if it caused me to get pregnant but it definitely eased the stress.  Good luck in your upcoming cycle - I hope you get your BFP - SSBD, jen