Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Soo confused.. blood pregnancy test too early??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

So I broke down an got a hcg blood pregnancy test done an it came back <6.. which said was negative. From what I've heard from others is that my hcg is slightly elevated, normal being <5. Also have heard from a friend that hers came back as the same but was positive??!! How is it any different from mine? So a lil insight I've never had regular periods but my last one started Nov.1 and I the night I believe I possibly conceived was the 12th and I spotted  on the 21st which I've NEVER spotted before! It only was 2 days an light rusty Brown in color, I've experienced a great deal of symptoms following the spotting. So call me crazy or really hopeful that I could still possibly be pregnant but tested too soon? Anyone that could be insightful an help me figure this out please feel free! FYI my mother thinks by two days my numbers will double an be positive because "I'm always the one that goes against the odds of regular!"
A lot of doctors consider less than 5 to be "not pregnant", and over 25 to be "pregnant".  6 is in the ambiguous range, where you are technically pregnant, but not really pregnant enough to be considered pregnant, if that makes any sense.  I would actually go back in two days for another blood test.  If it has gone up at all, then you are pregnant, and you should get a Dr. to monitor the levels.  Sometimes a low or slowly rising level can indicate a chemical pregnancy, an early miscarriage or can be something worse, like an ectopic pregnancy.  I would definitely keep doing the blood levels until you know for sure if it's a chemical, a slow start to a healthy pregnancy or something more.

Good Luck to you!
It could be that you are just beginning to show on the quantitative hCG tests.  You could try a sensitive home test in a couple of days if you don't want to go spring for a blood test.

Regarding the 5 and the 6, every clinic differs slightly, but many clinics do say 5 is not pregnant and anything above 5 is pregnant.
Thanks for your comment!

Good Luck to you!
Okay help me understand the whole less than 6 situation... when it states <6 does that mean that theirs <6 and just 6? Or thats the way they state that it's imply "less than" the number needed to considered being pregnant?? I'm not familiar with the the way hCg is read. Hope that makes since but I'm definitely gonna go back an get another test done because I'm not satisfied with the results and even more confused on my case! I think I took it too soon because I haven't missed my period yet and I still feel my symptoms that all started a week an a half ago. So thank you for your comment an if you can help me understand my other question because I've called 3 doctors today an they won't tell me anything or even try to help me understand these results.
You would need to know what the exact number was.  They should be able to give you that as long as it was a quantitative hcg test.   I just had one done to diagnose an anovulatory cycle, and they were able to tell me that my number was less than 1.  When I had my chemical pregnancy, they were able to tell me that my number was 7, then it went up a couple of times to top out at 31 and then back down.  They were able to tell me when it reached 4, putting me at a "not pregnant" status.  If yours is less than 6, meaning it's only 1, then no, you aren't pregnant.  But if it's less than 6 and at 5, you still could be.  

Definitely get it redone in a day or so, especially if they can't give you the exact number from this time, and make sure to ask for a quantitative hcg so that they give you the exact number next time.  

Good Luck!
It was a hCg  beta qual serum test?? That's what the paper said an I read it over an no other number was on it to go by. But I rescheduled for another  test Monday so I'll keep you posted... thank you so much for your time and information. This is our first time really trying for a baby so there's always another cycle around the corner to try again : )  But I'm still hoping that it could be positive by Monday!
i am in the same situation 3 at home test show positive and one blood test shows negative very confusing and annoying
I feel for you! I'm just not gonna stress myself any more.. not worth it! But my best advice which I'm sticking to myself.. Wait until you have a missed period and treat yourself as if you ARE pregnant! Go ahead an start taking your prenatal vitamins and eat right... keep me posted an good luck : )
The beta blood test which shows your level is the most accurate, You never know, it maybe that you ov later and its still too early.. Stranger things have happened, You hear all sorts of things on these sites, If you still have no period your still in the game right?
If I was you I would wait a few days and do an early detector test, first response or something like that.....
All the best would love to know how this pans out.
I was told over 5 clinically pregs BUT that its not a sufficient level, to give you an idea, my last aBETA, day before period due 395...... HOWEVER i have known ladies with 35 to go on to having a healthy baby GOOD LUCK
Well I'm three days past my start date for my period and I got a very very faint positive on a at home pregnancy test.... So tomorrow I go to get my second one. Wish me luck!
That's another blood test I mean.
Sounds promising!  Let me know your results!  I'm hopeful for you!
Thank you! I went today for my blood test an the girl that took it last time said that she's keeping her fingers crossed for me too! I'll find out tomorrow... so nervous but excited to get on with this and if not till the next cycle : )
Fingers crossed!! Let us know :)
Well I just picked up my results an I got a <1 not pregnant : (  So I'm a lil disappointed but now I'm left with the thought if I possibly had an early miscarriage considering how my levels dropped from <6 to <1 an all the symptoms I've had an still experiencing now. I'm cramping on my left lower abdomen an still no period.. now 5 days late.
It's possible you did have a chemical pregnancy.  I just had one in October, and I ended up needing to have some meds to get my cycle to start again. Give it another week or so, and if AF doesn't show, maybe go see a Dr about it.

*hugs*
Ugh! Nsorry to hear that.  I hope you get your positive soon!!!
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers