Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Specialist? Or ObGyn?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Specialist? Or ObGyn?

Should I see my obgyn for infertility problems or go straight to a fertility clinic???  How limited are obgyns about treatments?  Also, please share if you have a success story from OBGYN?   I have an appt with an obgyn Aug, 4.  BTW, My insurance covers 100% for consultation and testing but nothing on treatment...  
You can start at the gyn and have the basic tests run to see what the results are. After that, you will know if a specialist is needed. Sometimes, it can be resolved at the gyn. Have you had any labs run yet? Do you know if you are o'ing?
I would go straight to a RE if you have fertility issues just because they specialize in this. I dotn have a success story yet... Good luck to you :)
after 2 MC's, my OB sent me to a special feritilty doctor.  they were so nice there and made me feel so comfortable.  i am now one day shy of 10 weeks along and i am going back to my regular GYN tomorrow.  I would suggets the fertility doctor to anyone because they deal with the sensitivity of the whole ordeal way better.  good luck
Once I started having tests run by the RE, the insurance quit paying. I would run as many as possible thru the gyno and have them write it so insurance covers it. The tests and treatments are very $$$ out of pocket. Every u/s I have is $125 and I can't even afford the injectables. They are in the thousands, plus monitoring. Since insurance is an issue, I would have the initial labs done at the gyno and take it from there. At least you have a starting point. They pretty much all start with day 3 labs and day 21 labs.
I think it is a good idea to see the OBGYN first to get your basic tests done to see if there is a need to go to a specialist.  The RE in my experience charged a good deal more money for her services.  For example I was going to have a Fallopian dye test and the contracted rate my insurance had with my OBGYN was $130.00 and the Specialist was going to be $620.00.  That was with my insurance discounting the procedure.  So that is how I started and as a matter of fact when I did switch to a RE I only went once for a consultation and low and behold that was the month I finaly got a BFP.  Although I can aso see the rational of going to the Re first but if money is a concern you might want to start with the OBGYN.  Good Luck  
How limited is an obgyn as far as treatment methods?   Can an obgyn do iui's?  
i don't think the OB can do IUI's.  I think that is the fertility specialist only.  the OB can run some of the testing to see why you can not conceieve but i think that is about all.
I've heard that obgyn's do IUI's.
I agree with the others.  It's definitely a good starting point to go to your OBGYN and have the preliminary tests done (bloodwork, ultrasound, HSG).  If nothing is found to be wrong, they may give you Clomid/Femara to help boost your chances (that is what mine did for me) and you could try that for a few months before moving onto a specialist.  If they would find something, then you could aways go to an RE then.  I know my OBGYN does do IUI's, so I don't think you'd have to go to an RE for that.  
Also, in my experience with going to an OBGYN only, I should mention that it appears they don't monitor you as closely as an RE would.  Mine had me try both Clomid and Femara, but didn't offer me any type of bloodwork or ultrasound monitoring until I repeatedly requested it.  From seeing others experiences on this forum, RE's seem to provide a lot more help and follow-up.