Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Sperm count?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Sperm count?

My brother had a test done and he found out that he has a very low sperm count. He said to doctor wasn't much help. So do ya'll have any suggestions on how he can boost his sperm count. He and his wife have been wanting a child for a long time. They have never been successful...NOW WE KNOW WHY!!!  
Any information would be helpful!!!!!

Thanks!!
when there is low sperm....there a lot of vitamins which would help.... and he can test it again after couple of months. as my DH's also the fist test came as low.... he use to just take 2 tablespoons of honey before going to sleep and then the next test was abt 2 months later and it was excellent.... dont know whether the honey helped or the first test was wrong....did the first one in Quest Diagnosis.

another option is IUI, read that its helpful coz in IUI the sperm is directly placed in uterus. so....
I have read that zinc helps sperm count.
Did he go see a urologist.  We decided to get my husband tested also and found out that he has a condition called variococeles.  He had some tests done with a urologist and they were able to find it.  It has surgery for it, but only increased sperm a little bit.  So they should find out what is causing the low sperm count, it could be any thing??

My sister had her husband tested too and his sperm came back low, but then went back a few months later and it was at a very good number.  This was three years ago, they now have twins (boy and girl).
Thanks! My brother is going to be happy to here this. :)
My husband started taking folic acid and it shot up right away
He had about 12 million. Which is considered low.  I would tell your brother to test again he could have had a bad day. Sorry about that!
How often should he test?
Hi there....no-one should ever have to walk away from a doctor's office just being told they have a "low" sperm count. That is meaningless out of context; for example the motility (ability to swim) of a sperm cell is as important as the number present. If a man produces 50 million sperm in a sample of 3ml but only 1% are mobile, then he is less likely to father a child than a man who produces only a 2ml sample of sperm with 2 million sperm present bnut 99% of them are mobile. The World Health Organisation provides a definition of a 'normal' sperm count:

* the concentration of spermatozoa should be at least 20 million per ml.

* the total volume of semen should be at least 2ml.

* the total number of spermatozoa in the ejaculate should be at least 40 million.

* at least 75 per cent of the spermatozoa should be alive (it is normal for up to 25 per cent to be dead).

* at least 30 per cent of the spermatozoa should be of normal shape and form.

* at least 25 per cent of the spermatozoa should be swimming with rapid forward movement.

* at least 50 per cent of the spermatozoa should be swimming forward, even if only sluggishly.

It is quite surprising how many dead and abnormal sperm can be present in a 'normal' sample.

Measuring sperm count is a very technical business and results can be affected by many factors, including the length of time between ejaculation and semen sample analysis, and how the sample is kept when being transported to the lab.

There can be enormous variation in sperm count in an individual, even over a few days. It is important that at least two, preferably three or more, samples are analysed, each at least two to three weeks apart. A single sample is inadequate to assess semen quality. Hope that helps your bt=rother (PS My husband had a low sperm count, I had serious fertility issues but we managed to conceive naturally eventually!)
Thank you so much for this information. I am just copied and printed this to give to my brother.  Thanks again!
Not trying to be personal but how low was his count? I mean, the way my brother talked he said that there was only ONE moving. So his count is pretty low.
Thanks! I told my brother what you lady's said and he was amazed by some of your suggestions. Thanks alot!!
Hope everyone has a GREAT DAY!:)