Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Spotting before Period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Spotting before Period

I have been trying to get pregnant for the past year. During this time I have been spotting anywhere from 2 to 10 days (typically 4 days) before my period.  I have gotten pregnant two times before, both on the first month of trying.  My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage at week 7 due to low progesterone levels.  I went to acupuncture and took herbs, and my second pregnancy three months later was normal with very high progesterone levels.  I have had my progesterone tested twice in the past several months and my levels were fine according to my doctor.  

I have 4 fibroids on the outside of my uterus.  My doctor does not think these are the cause of my spotting.  I am receiving acupuncture again and taking herbs.  

Last month my cycle which is typically around 25 days was stretched to 30 and I didn't start spotting until day 28.  This month, however, I started spotting on day 20.  

I took my third hcg shot this month.  My doctor has said my lining, ovaries and eggs look good every time.

Is it possible to get pregnant while I am still spotting?  And if it is not, do you have any recommendations on what I can do to fix my problem?  Are there blood tests I need to take?  My grandmother has thyroid issues.  My thyroid was normal the last time it was tested 2 years ago.
I used to spot about 4 days before my period and it was not a problem. If you spot for 10 days before AF you should talk to your ob to make sure your luteal phase is long enough.
Good luck!
as helen said.. most of the time its not a problem.. and is very common and people can get preg and stay preg with spotting! : ) 25% of pregnancies have spotting in the first trimester..  I would have your cd21 progesterone checked again to see if thats low.. that can cause a luteal phase defect which can make it harder for a little one to implant.. i had the spotting for 7 months or so and was concerned (also had low progesterone) they did an ultrasound and found i had an endometrioma cyst (endometriosis ovarian cyst) i had surgery to remove that and for the endo (which my only symptom was spotting) and my spotting stopped.. most of the time its not endo, but just normal or low progesterone though.. i'd have them check progesterone, thyroid.. and other hormones..if it came down to it they can do a laproroscopy to check for endo..  GOOD LUCK! : )
thank you!!
Hi, I was just curious if you have found anything out about your spotting before your period.  After my first child my period has been abnormal (spotting 4-5 days, then normal flow, then again spotting). I have been trying to conceive for 14 months.  Have Hashimotos, on Synthroid, TSH is within normal limits.  All fertility testing is good.  I am very frustrated.....I can't get past my infertility and spotting.