Spotting during Luteal Phase?
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can answer a few questions for me:

I am 26 and have a 2 year old son. I have had spotting during my luteal phase for as long as I can remember. However, we are trying to conceive our second child now and I'm starting to wonder if this is a problem. With my son, I had so much spotting that the doctor actually thought I miscarried. When she sent me to have my levels checked to make sure they were returning to normal, the HCG levels were actually going up, as in a normal pregnancy and when I had the ultrasound at 7 weeks, the baby was fine and they saw no bleeding in the uterus, depsite my continued spotting. I don't think my progesterone was checked and I know I was never put on any sort of supplement. I continued to have bleeding throughout my first half of the pregnancy and everything turned out fine.

Now that we are trying to get pregnant again, I have started charting my BBT and keeping track of other fertility signs. For the last 2 months, I have spotted for 6-7 days before my period. This month, I was 5 days past ovulation when it started. Also, I think my luteal phase has been shorter, though its difficult to tell how short, because of the spotting. This month, I think it was 10 days. Prior to my first pregnancy, it was 12 days. I am concerned I have somthing wrong with my luteal phase and that the spotting is preventing pregnancy from occuring. My son was conceived the second month we tried, and though I know that was lucky, I'm wondering if the spotting has something to do with why its taking longer this time. My temps are always well above coverline in my luteal phase, so I'm not sure if that is good or not.

I have bought a vitamin B complex, as I heard B6 can really help with a luteal phase, so I'm going to wait another cycle before speaking to my doctor. But does the spotting and length of my luteal phase sound concerning? I'd appreciate if anyone has any info or advice.

Thanks!
Hey there:

While I know that this posting is a bit old, I thought I'd go ahead and add my two cents here for those other ladies who might be searching.

A few years ago (probably about two years now) I started spotting about 7 days before my period started (despite the fact that I was on BC).  My period would then last 5-7 days.  This summer, I finally went to the doctor about it and was told that it's luteal phase defect.  I was put on progesterone, but it didn't seem to help (although I also got pregnant that month and it really could have been implantation bleeding).  

I had a miscarriage at the end of July, before which the doctors had found out that I'm homozygous mutant for MTHFR (a blood-clotting disorder) and put me on an aspirin and B6/B12 regimen.  I started taking the pills religiously this month, seeing as we're TTC again.  My period should start any day now -- but no spotting at ALL!!  I was absolutely amazed -- to the point where I thought maybe I was actually pregnant again (but all the HPTs come back negative).

For those of you out there who are dealing with the same thing, try taking vitamin b6 -- I take 25 mg a day, although it seems that other people are taking higher dosages.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone!