Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Strange cervical mucus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Strange cervical mucus

Almost a month ago, I came off the birth control pill. My husband and I are planning on TTC in 2 more months. So I have been practicing checking my cervical mucus so that when it's showtime, I know what to look for. I have been tracking. On day 15 of this cycle, I had my first EWCM. 3 days later when I checked, I felt a huge glob of mucus hanging from my cervix. I pulled it out and was shocked at what I saw... it was a thick glob of mucus that was the size of half of my thumb. It was very thick, so thick I almost couldn't stretch it, it wanted to hold together. And it was not clear, but more of a light tan color. It definitely didn't seem like the kind of substance that sperm could get through! I am wondering if this is really EWCM, or if it is a mucus plug that I lost, as a result of coming off of the pill. If it was a plug, what would my date of ovulation most likely have been? I had EWCM on the 15th thru 19th days of the cycle. Thanks for any input!
I'm not great with tracking my CM but here is what I found about it.

Hope it helps

The appearance and texture of cervical fluids will change as you move through your menstrual cycle. Also, the quantity of cervical mucus present is also a key sign: When you are most fertile, CM should be quite abundant. Texture: During your cycle, cervical mucus may be absent or profuse, dryish or wet, thick or thin, sticky or slippery. It may "hold its shape" or it may stretch between your fingers like raw egg-white. Appearance: The look of cervical fluids will also change during your cycle and CM may be white, creamy, yellowish, translucent, or transparent.

When It Happens: During the first part of your menstrual cycle, CM may not be present or it will be dry and thickish. The color may appear white. As you enter the follicular (pre-ovulatory) phase of your cycle, estrogen increases and you may experience "transitional" cervical mucus, marked by increased moisture, increased volume, a more stretchy texture, and a thinner feel. Transitional mucus will still be a bit tacky and hold its form to some degree. The color of transitional cervical mucus may be white, creamy, or yellowish, though it will still be mostly opaque.

Directly prior to ovulation, cervical mucus should be abundant. Fertile cervical mucus is characterized by a transparent appearance - and it may look and feel like raw egg white and stretch between your fingers without breaking (see fig 1). This stretchiness is called Spinnbarkeit and indicates that ovulation is likely imminent. Fertile CM will be thin, slippery (like lubricant), stretchy and translucent. Typically, fertile-quality cervical fluids will appear a few days prior to and during ovulation. Following ovulation, the quality of CM will change again due to sudden decrease in estrogen and increase of progesterone. You may experience transitional mucus, followed abruptly by an increasing dryness (non-fertile CM) through the rest of your luteal phase. Below is a table that provides an overview describing CM changes, what the changes mean, and when they occur.
I just experienced the same thing! I came off my pill 10 days ago and just had the same experience as you. The more I'm researching online, I find it's my body telling me I'm about to ovulate, but I want to see if I should expect this every month now that I'm off the pill.