Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Success Stories after First IVF Failure?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

I just failed my first IVF cycle, and I would love to hear stories of women who
also failed but went on to succeed in follow on cycles.

Although I produced 12 eggs (only 9 were mature) this cycle, only 6 fertilized
and made it to day 3. Only 1 of the 6 made it for a Day 5 transfer. Perhaps my
expectations were unrealistic, but at my age (35), I thought more than 1 embryo
would make it to Day 5. I plan scheduling a follow on appointment and would
like to know what to expect or what I should ask. I'm particularly interested
to see if your RE changed your protocol.

Thank you,

Jen
Tags: IVF
Mine is not a successful story. However, my first IVF antagonist protocol got cancelled due to poor response. i produced only 2 eggs on very high dose, i am 33. so now i am on a different protocol, first they wanted to do micro flare low dose lupron protocol, they found an ovarian cyst and changed it to ganirelix short protocol, so am stims right now. i am hoping better response this time. good luck.

Am sure your RE will also try a different protocol, i do feel your response was really high even first time. good luck to you.
When I first started my IVF at 35 yrs.  My RE was very conservative.  I gave me a very little medication even I went 6 failed IUIs with him, he should know I need more drugs to produce more eggs.  I ended up with 5 eggs and 3 fertilized.  Transfer 3 and failed.
3 month later,  I changed new RE, Same protocol, more drugs, produce 12 eggs, 8 fertilized, transfer 5 and got pg.
how many would you transfer?  Good luck for your comming cycle.
even my 1st ivf landed in a big failure...m 32 with endometriosis..after 5 failed iuis...1st ivf was scheduled last month...antagonist/short protocol...9 eggs retrieved...only 4 matured..and 2 went on with 4 cell division on day 2...one embryo was perfect lookin...but failed to implant...m thinkin of a second FET early next year with donor eggs....m not takin any chances with mine....
First of all, I am SO sorry to hear that your first IVF was unsuccessful.  I feel your pain and can empathize with you.  It was very heartbreaking when that happened to us.  And frustrating.  I remember thinking the same thing: "Will it EVER happen?  Can I EVER get pregnant?  If even going to the extreme of IVF didn't work?!"  We had tried to conceive for seven years and had done everything short of IVF before doing our first cycle of it back in November/December of 2010.  

I actually had over 20 eggs retrieved successfully.  Out of those, 12 fertilized.  And we had four make it to day 5.  Our RE only implanted one of them (a textbook "perfect" blast).  But it didn't implant.  I was heartbroken and so confused!  

However, we WERE lucky in the fact that we were able to freeze the embies we had left. Only two made it to the freezing point.  

In February, we decided to try again.  And this time, try the FET.  Out of ALL of those original embryos, just one made it through the freeze/thaw process. So we transferred him.  And this time ... it WORKED!  Miraculously (because any time a pregnancy is achieved, I believe it is a true miracle!) it attached and now I am 28 weeks pregnant!!

I just want to let you know that there IS hope.  And that, in fact, is is VERY common for the first round of IVF to not work for whatever reasons.  Please don't give up!! Your little one is waiting!

Sending much love!! :)