Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Success after varicocelectomy??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Success after varicocelectomy??

Hi there. I am 35 and my husband is 39. We have been ttc for 6 months. Went to the doc to check that everything is ok fertility wize and found that my hubby has great sperm count and great mobility but his normal sperm morphology is only 2%. Completely heart broken as having a baby is all I've ever wanted and cannot imagine going through life without such a precious gift. It turns out that hubby needs to have a varicocelectomy as the varicocele is causing the morphology problem. Am really hoping that there are some success stories out there? Please please let me know if there are. And if you have a success story, how long after varicocelectomy did you conceive and did you conceive nqturally or through IUI/IVF?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Varicocole is one of the commonest male causes affecting fertility .If left untreated varicoceles cause progressive testicular damage over time. It is best to get it treated as early as possible. Almost 50-60 percent women may conceive within two years if female infertility factors were excluded. In case you do not get pregnant within 6-9 months after the surgery, the other treatment options like insemination and/or IVF and ICSI may need to be considered. Discuss your concerns with your attending doctor and keep me posted.
Take care and regards!
Thank you ASharmaMD for your response. Are the success rates for conception usually good after this surgery?