Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
TTC after Depo Provera

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

TTC after Depo Provera

Well, here goes nothing. I have been on depo provera for over 8 years. I have signed up for a forum for people who are trying to concieve (conceive) after depo and have had some great support. I have been reading alot your posts and replied to a few. I am told that it could take as long as 2 years before I can get pregnant. I don't think I have ovulated yet. Last shot was August 4, 2006. Usually you take the shots every 3 months since it is possible to get pg if it is taken too late. I got pregnant on the shot found out late October when I went for preconception check-up but with no period no way of know without an ultrasound how far along I was. Doc didn't think more than a 3-4 weeks considering HcG levels. Ultrasound Tech had already left for day so he said to come back in about 2 weeks and they would do an ultrasound and more tests. I ended up going early for an UTI and the HcG in urine came back negative, ultrasound showed a blighted ovum. Anyway, I think the egg was released because it was defective. You know how your body tries to get rid of bad/foreign objects. Well, to top it off. Even if it had implanted there was not enough progesterone in my body to have given the implantation a fighting chance. I had already been told that the chances were over 80% for a miscarraige (miscarriage) due to this. DH and I had been talking for about a year about having another child but had been holding off since I was getting my BS degree. Graduated in May 2006, so we were making the decision to start trying. My bb's have been soooo sore and had been getting nauseous but went to Dr. for blood test cont'd
hi i am new to this site. i was on depo for 2&1/2yrs. and was told by my dr at the time it could take me up to 5 years to get preg. but got prego fast and had 3 mc in 1&1/2yrs. found out that i have a blood cloting dissorder, now prego w/#4 and since the others ended before 6weeks. and now i am 20w1d. with the help of baby asprin(81mg) multivitimin, and a projestrone shot once a week.
But everyone is different. good luck.
Ran out of room. Test was negative. I am charting on fertilityfriend.com using saliva microscope, cm, cp, and BBT. I have had some odd readings at first but they seem to have leveled off and are beginning to look like what I would consider to be close to normal. Anyway here is my chart. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/174a34

I have switched between the research and the advanced methods just to see the difference. Research says I may have O'd advanced says no. I haven't had my first af after coming off the depo. So at this point I would be glad for a positive pee stick or my monthly. Any one else's chart look like this? And anyone else here that is coming off depo TTC? If so, did you have the bb's hurting feeling full problem and some nausea. Really interested in hearing from persons who are experiencing what I am or have experienced.
i was on the depo for 6 months and i was supposed to go and get my next shot on sept 15 of this year i did not go because i spotted all during the shot and even now off of the shot and it will be three months since ive been off and im still bleeding im scared and my boyfriend thinks it something wrong we want to have a baby but i dont know if ill be normal again what could be wrong any body else went through this because its really stressing me out .
I have heard a good deal about irregular bleeding after coming off the depo. If you are bleeding for more than 2 weeks go see the doc. He/She can get your period to stop. They may also help you with regulation until your body is back to normal again.
hello, my name is marjory and i was on depo for about 9 months today is 12/18/06 i was pregnant in may of 05 and had an abortion in aug of 05 and then went straight to depo and had my last shot on april 06 so that whole time i did not have any periods now i have been off the shot for about 5 or six months and have been having sex every day and hoping to get pregnant do you think i will be able to??
I was on Depo for 3 years.  It took an additional 4 months for me to even get a period, and once I got them, I would have it for 35 days, then it would be back again about a week later for about 5 days, then about 2 weeks later the big 35 day one would happen.  After about 5 months of this it started to level itself out and the distance between the 2 periods would consistently get farther & farther apart.  Currently I've been off Depo for 13 months, TTC for 5 months & my cycles still haven't returned to "normal".  Cycles are still improving I believe because I had 3 months of perfect 20 day cycles, now I'm on CD24 with 2 BFNs so it's probably my cycle length changing on me... which means our timing would be totally off this month & chances of TTC this month are minimal. :( On the lighter side, the closer I can get to my cycles being what they were pre Depo is very encouraging as I did get PG with DH pre Depo (had a "missed abortion" where it died at 6 weeks but my body didn't flush it out & it had to be removed like an abortion - sorry if TMI)so I'm not losing hope or faith.
If some of you aren't doing your temps, maybe think about starting them because it helps you see what your body is going through month to month.
In all honesty ladies, we played with our hormones when we did the Depo and it may take time for our bodies to get back to normal & those hormones back into that delicate balance.  I have a friend that got pregnant after her first period off Depo, (baby is fine, nothing from Depo affected her) so I really think it's very individual as to when we will "bounce back" and our cycles will be ready, willing & able to give us what we dream, so keep your chin up and hope for the best!   BABY DUST FOR EVERYONE!
THIS IS MY STORY, I JUST HAD A BEAUTIFUL BABY BOY ON JUNE 2006, AND GOT ON THE DEPO SHOT A MONTH LATER, AND I WAS ONLY BLEEDING FOR 2 HOLE MONTH I WAS CONCERN BUT NOW I DONT BLEED, AND I ONLY GOT IT TWICE BUT IM CONCERN BECAUSE I BEEN HAVING LOTS OF SEX AND I DONT KNOW IF I COULD BE OR COULD GET PREGNANT AND NOW MY BOYFRIEND WANTS ANOTHER BABY AND I DONT KNOW HOW LONG IT WOULD TAKE FOR ME TO GET PREGNANT, AND MY BABY IS ONLY 7 MONTHS OLD AND I THINK ITS TOO EARLY.
Hi ladies i was one depo for just one shot so 3 months. I was supposed to get my shot again in Nov 07, didn't get it because we decided to try for another baby, got pregnant that month and had an early loss at 5 weeks 2 days. I got pregnant the next month and lost that baby at 6 weeks. We waiting one cycle and now i'm noticing that my luteal phase is very short. It was never like this until after depo. It messed me up and i strongly believe my micarriages were caused by depo. And now my luteal phase defect is too.
My depo story... Maybe it will offer some hope..
I have always been told I could never have kids.  Kidney problems as a child and thyroid problems as a teenager.  At 18 decided I should get on Depo anyways because I am lucky like that.  Was on Depo for 2 years, was supposed to get my shot mid January of 2005.  Lack of time, forgetting whatever the reason I delayed the shot.  WIth everything I read about the turn around time to get pregnant I wasn't really worried about it.  Was pregnant Feb of 2005, delivered a beautiful healthy baby girl Nov 2005.  Just saying you shouldn't always believe what you are told.
i was on depo for 2yrs off for 1yr and then bk on for 2 more years. I got on it cus i heard it was good and no period sounded great when i was 18;no1 not even the doctors warned be about how hard it would be to get preggers. I got my last shot in August 2003 and still have yet to get a BFP!! I been w/my DH for 3yrs now married for 1 and half and never have taken B/C no need and we both want kids. After my 1yr anniversary my MIL bought me some fertility vitamins so been taking all these since November 2007. I had the same problems no sign of any CM and my luteal phase was short but since Vitex it has been regulating my cycle very well. If any1 has gotten prego shortly after taking depo shots let me say you are very lucky if u read up on the stuff they put in there its not good and the stories will shock you.
I have only had ONE shot of the Depo and I HATE it. I am experiencing the weight gain (which I could stand to gain some weight honestly) which is ok. But I am having awful depression, I just want to cry all the time and its really hurting my relationship with my boyfriend I think. Also, we have been talking about having a baby soon and I'm reading all these awful things about how it can take a year or more to get pregnant even after the shot supposedly wears off. Im terrified this will be the case with me and I'm even more scared this will cause more issues with my boyfriend and I. I hate this shot so much, the doctor NEVER told me about these side effects and its really not fair. Can someone please help me or talk to me about this.
have had one shot of depo already have gorgeous son who is 23 months old and me adn soon to be DH are trying for aother but after the shot im not too sure how long its going to take very depressing i bleed the whole time on depo and now that its "finished" im still bleading very ow and then so not sure when the best time to ahe sex becasue periods are all over the place! baby dust to you all!
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers