Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Taking a break...?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Taking a break...?

So, I think we've decided to take this month off after our 3rd failed IUI to regroup. Our RE has suggested that we move away from the IUI and either consider a DSIUI or moving into IVF w/ISCI- which my insurance doesn't cover. My DH sperm count is just so low and that paired with the slim success rates of IUI he just doesn't think we moving in the right direction towards our goal of having a baby. I am curious to know how many of you have taken some time off from the "process" and then had success jumping back in to it? I don't know why I feel nervous that I am stopping positive momentum when in reality I am exhausted from the hormone treatments. I guess I am just feeling very overwhelmed with everything...
Tags: taking a break, nervous, IVF, donor sperm, having a baby, desperately wanting a baby
Ah hun, it's tough isn't it and I'm not really quite in the position to advise if things helped for me (in the UK we tend not to have back to back treatments as they say the hormones etc are still elevated after each unsuccessful cycle and therefore you should try naturally for a month in between), however after my failed IUI in March this year, I waited a couple months before starting another IVF which was a BFP but ended at 5 weeks (many factors involved).

I think it's really entirely up to you - how you are feeling mentally, emotionally and physically and I guess the big one - financially!

I personally think that in your case, with your DH's low sperm count that IUI won't really be the best option for you, and I think IVF with ICSI may be your best option.

I also think a break of a month or so in between does help you let your hair down a little and relax - it's such a tough process and it's nice to have a little breather.

I think you should go for it :o)  I'm about to start my 3rd IVF this month, and after June I honestly thought I couldn't cope with another fertility treatment and I went through so much last time with being ill and admitted to hospital and the early m/c.  But after just a few weeks, and especially getting so much hope from here with several of my med help friends who have struggled for a long time finally get their BFP's - I'm ready to get mines :o)

And I really hope you do to - best of luck with whatever you decide and hopefully you'll be joining me along the way ;o)
Lol reading that back it sounds like I'm totally contradicting myself...when I say go for it, I mean have a month or so off and try the IVF w/ICSI if you can ;o)
You have to do what your most comfortable with. If you have multiple ivf cycles and you produce a good amount of eggs chances are you will have to sit out every other cycle to give your ovaries a rest, this has been my experience. I find it really difficult to sit out a month because it felt like I was doing nothing for the cause. Iui's are different though, you can have them every cycle because your not being pumped full of stims. We moved onto ivf because iuis were just costing too much and didn't have the success rate ivf did. We went thru 3 fresh cycles with ICSI and one fet. Experienced a mc at 5 weeks and I'm now 8.3 weeks after 10yrs ttc. I would say to right a list of pros and cons and discuss it with your dh. You have to do what you are comfortable with.
Best of luck to you!!
Ginger