Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Temping question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

Temping question

I don't temp, never have, dr. never recommended it, but I read a lot of posts about temping.  Right now I"m 11dpiui and yesterday and today I took my temp.  It came out 98.5 both times.  Normally my temps are around 97.2 (which is weird to me because isn't body temp. 98.6?"  Anyway, I feel like AF is coming in a couple days...will my temps stay up for AF, or go down for AF?  Sorry, I'm really ignorant on this topic. Any experiences or suggestions would be nice. Thank you girls!!!
Hi there, you also can look up bbt online, because normally you should take your temps first thing in the mourning before you even get out of bed and you should at least have gotten 5 hours of sleep.  I take my temps at 6 30 am every mourning because i always have to pee around that time.  If you get out of bed before you take your temp it is possibel to get an inacurate reading.  For example, this mourning my temp was 97.7.  i went to pee and went back to lay down, took temp again at 9am and temp was 98.5, just in a matter of 21/2 hours the temp change.  The temp is suppose to be at a resting state, i cant remember exactly what it said, but you should look it up.  AF is suppose to come it temps go down, its best to havve a log so you can see your pattern of hi and low temps, and it should be done correctly, because if you are saying AF should be coming, you probably took your temp at the wrong time of day.  If temps stay up after AF is expected it could mean a possitive pregnancy.  I dont have a direct web site but google bbt it will give you a better idea.  Ive been taking my temps since my m/c and my temps have been all over the place, now they have been in the 97's for 2 days, i am hoping this is a sign that i will get my first cycle(had d&c june 17th), im going to scream if i take temp tomorow and it is in the 98's, meaning body is not getting ready for AF.

Also this sight has a ovulation tracker where you can chart your temps, a lot of people tell me fertility friend's chart is better, i still have not learned how to use FF but i need to because its better than this one, you can click on my name and check out my temp pattern.  If you have any other questions send me a message or post a question.
It's hard to 'read' a single temp...you really want to see patterns or trends over multiple temps.  Temps are lower pre-o and then will rise after ovulation and stay high until AF shows and then lower again or stay high if you are pregnant.  Everyone is a bit different on when the temps lower in relation to AF's arrival - some the day or two before it shows, some the day it shows and even some have it lower the day after AF shows...

Also, it isn't true that body temp is 98.6! :) Everyone is different!

Hope this helps! :)
thanks for your help!  I did look it up online...I've been doing it wrong. =)
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers