Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Traveling with Lupron on plane

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Traveling with Lupron on plane

HI- I will be traveling on a plane for six hours and I also am on my Lupron shots.  Does Lupron need to be refrigerated and did you have any issues bringing your needles on the plane- Thank you
You can go to tsa.gov to see about the requirements for carrying injectables.  I don't know if your Lupron needs to be refrigerated or not.  Ask your doctor or pharmacist, or maybe someone here knows.
I had to take Lupron and the clinic I used suggesting refrigeration, although I don't think it is required.  I am on injectables also and will be traveling by plane soon, and my clinic is getting a letter ready for me to take with me.  They said they have had to prepare letters for patients in the past and have had no problems with airlines refusing due to medical necessity.  I would check with your clinic, and I bet they could prepare a letter for you also.
we didn't have to refrigerate our Lupron
Good Luck!!
I traveled to Ireland with all of my injectables.  I took them in a clear quart size bag (the ones I needed to take on the plane) with the prescription written by the doctor, and the others I packed in my suit case.  I did not have to refrigerate the Lupron I was on, I did not know if the medication you are taking is different.  
This is what I found on safemedication.com

If you are flying, keep your medications in your carry-on luggage so that you have access to them during your flight and will not lose them in the event that your luggage gets lost. Plus, keeping your medications with you helps prevent exposure to extreme temperatures in the baggage compartment, which can alter the drug's effectiveness. Keep in mind that airport security requires that your medications be transported in their original, labeled containers.

If your medication requires you to use a syringe - insulin, for instance - you may need to carry your prescription with you to ensure that you can pass through airport security. The American Diabetes Association recommends that people with diabetes be prepared to provide airport security personnel with copies of prescriptions for diabetes medications and supplies as well as complete contact information for the prescriber.

If you are taking injectable medications (e.g., Fuzeon, insulin, testosterone) you must have the medication along with you in order to carry empty syringes.
Do not remove syringes or medicines from the original packaging with printed labels and manufacturer's information.

Hope that helps.
I had no trouble traveling with the needles I had.. I put in a clear plastic bag with my prescription on there and also had my doc write a note but did not have to use it.  The meds that needed to stay cold, I bought an insulated lunch box at Wal Mart found in the camping section and got one of those frozen ice packs and it worked great!  

my lupron needed to be refrigerated at all times. Hope this helps.