Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Treatment Protocol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Treatment Protocol

I am 38 years old and first started an evaluation for infertility about a year ago after trying for some time to conceive - at that time my gyn prescribed Clomid 50 mg for lack of ovulation (based upon low midcycle progesterone levels).  Ovulation did occur with the Clomid but no pregnancies.  I was not evaluated again until recently, when I started seeing a fertility specialist who found during my evaluation cycle that I have an elevation in 17 hydroxyprogesterone to 380 -- I've read up a lot on this (presumably nonclassical adrenal hyperpasia) and my only symptom is infertility.  In addition to the above, my estrogen levels were lower than expected mid and late cycle (in the 70 - 80 range both times), although I did ovulate during the cycle.   The treatment protocol that was recommended for me is as follows: clomiphene 100 mg on days 4-8, FSH 150 IU starting on day 9, estrogen  .5 mg twice a day starting on day 9 and dexamethasone starting from now.

My question is: if the cause of infertility is felt to be due to the high 17 hydroxyprogesterone levels, is it necessary to be treated with anything else except for dexamethasone at this point?  Is it still preferable to receive the other treatments as well?

Thanks in advance for your time.
Tags: treatment