Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Trying to conceive

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Trying to conceive

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 7 months now without any luck. My doctor wants to wait until we have been trying for a year before any test are run. I have been taking my basal body temperture for the past 2 months and my temp is staying around 97 degrees. I know that when you ovulate that your temp is suppose to go up and stay up until you start again. I was wondering what I should do. If I should wait and see if I start ovulating or if I should go back to the dr early. This past summer we discovered that I have adenomiosis (adenomyosis) so I don't want to wait to long because then there is a possibility that I won't be able to have kids. Any advice on how to make myself start ovulating would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Have you tried opk (ovulation predictor kit) that will help to work out when your body is gearing up for ovulation, I found them much easier to use than temping, you can usually buy them from the chemist but they are cheaper online.
Evening primrose oil tablets can help to regulate your cycle also but you only take them from the first day of your period until ovulation. I would suggest doing some research on those tablets before taking them though as there can be side effects like headaches and nausea.
Having your partners sperm tested could help.
Does your doctor know about existing condition? If not then it wouldnt hurt to tell them and see if they will run tests sooner but generally most doctors won't start further testing until you've been trying for 12 months.
My docotor is actually the one that found the condition. I was just wondering if there was anything over the counter to take to start ovulating since the bbt says that I am not.
Are you using OPK?
I have used two different OPK test and none of them gives me a posited LH surge. So my doctor told me to do the basal body temp and that when my temp spikes and stays up that means I have ovulated but my temp stays the same and there has never been a spike. So I am afraid that I am not ovulating at all.
Your doctor should be able to send you for some hormone tests and a 21 day progesterone test, this won't confirm that ur ovulating but it will help to tell if your body is gearing up for ovulation. I don't think there is anything over the counter that can stimulate ovulation, pretty sure something like clomid is prescribed.
That's what I was afraid of. I will be going back to my doctor in May. I am afraid to take any fertility drugs because twins runs on both sides of my family. I have also heard a lot about people that take clomid has miscarrages so that worries me to.
Ask your doctor about femara. Thats what i was put on because it has lower percent of multiple births.
If you want to try something natural, Vitex Fruit does help women ovulate who are having difficulty ovulating. Women with PCOS, who don't ovulate consistantly have taken this with success in attaining pregnancy. I have a close friend who wasn't ovulating due to PCOS, took Vitex for 2-3 months and was pregnant. My husband and I also tried Vitex after almost 3 years of infertility and it worked for us.
Vitex works by genlty balancing your progesterone levels. Progesterone helps with ovulation and building the lining of your uterus. Low progesterone levels can cause you not to ovulate as the levels are not high enough to stimulate you to release an egg. After ovulation, if your progesterone levels are low, your uterine lining may not be thick enough for implantation or isn't thick enough to maintain a pregnancy, causing a miscarraige (miscarriage).
It's worth looking into Vitex if you are not ready to try clomid or femara.
Good Luck
Thank you I will definately look into that.